Thread: Energy prices

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

Energy prices

Hi

Now the oil price is down but our petrol prices havn't come down prportionately. Our Gas Electricity Bills are still sky high. Our Government very reluctently and politely asking energy companies to reduce their prices which the energy companies are not bothered. When the price of the oil goes up the energy companies don't waste time and put up their prices 30- 40 percent within minutes. Is the Government siding with the energy companies to let the fat cats become more rich keeping the population poorer and struggling? Is their anybody in all three political parties who can make more noise about reducing the energy bills sharply? I don't think anynody is listening! Its a cry in the wilderness.

Thanks
    The politicians don't give a toss as long as their troughs are full off the backs of you and me. Until they are hit in their pockets they will carry on regardless with their crackpot ideas. Green policies and Carbon Trading not to mention Fishing Quotas, have/will cost this country countless amounts one way or another! We slavishly follow European diktats while other member states pick and choose what to follow and how to implement them.

Thanks
    jeetley2 agree with you 100% no one gives a toss, as long as they have there snouts in the trough and able to buy new kitchens for there second homes at the taxpayer's expense,who cares.
    guess that's why they call us RIP OFF BRITAN.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeetley2 View Post
    Hi

Now the oil price is down but our petrol prices haven't come down proportionately.
    Problem is the pound has fallen against the dollar at the same time.

Roughly, oil was $147 (£70), now $60 (£40) a barrel, so a 60% fall for dollar users, but only 40% for us in Britain.

As for gas & electricity, we had plenty of warning prices were about to rise. I fixed my prices & am paying 30% less than current rates.

I think they buy their gas on 6 month contracts, so the price should fall for most people after Xmas.

Thanks
    Might see a change if politicians salaries were linked to GDP!

Thanks

Exclamation

Hi

Now the oil price is down but our petrol prices havn't come down prportionately. Our Gas Electricity Bills are still sky high. Our Government very reluctently and politely asking energy companies to reduce their prices which the energy companies are not bothered. When the price of the oil goes up the energy companies don't waste time and put up their prices 30- 40 percent within minutes. Is the Government siding with the energy companies to let the fat cats become more rich keeping the population poorer and struggling? Is their anybody in all three political parties who can make more noise about reducing the energy bills sharply? I don't think anynody is listening! Its a cry in the wilderness.
    I Think the gas and electricity market needs to be more transparent if not just to stop people believing what jeetley believes. You may think am biased as i actualy work for one of the big 6 energy companies but i am also a consumer who is realistic in my expectations for prices. The fact of the matter is energy companies foward buy so this winters gas was paid for by the energy companies around 6 months ago when wholesale prices were higher. Price increases and Price cuts are also staggered according to costs. The main reason why UK's gas prices have rocketed in recent years is down to north sea supplies depleting and having to import more gas from europe. There are a number of issues that effect the price we pay for our gas. Put quite simply imported gas costs more than gas from the north sea. Also another major issue is storage facillities I believe energy supplies let us down in not investing in storage facilities when we were getting all our gas from the north sea. If they had of done this we would have been paying alot less in those years. On the issue of storage investments are now being made if not 10years to late. With the north sea gas what is currently happening with storage is as we dont have much storage capacity we are selling the gas from the north see to scandavians who store it over there but when we eventualy need it back its sold back to us at a higher price. we currently have made investments in LNG terminals in milford haven kent and in scotland and this will help give us an other outlet for gas supplies rather than risking the russian charging the earth for gas to europe then the rest of europe passing on a higher cost to us. But there is also issues with LNG gas also, Most of this gas comes from the middle east. closer to the middle east you have big developing countries who are also now needing more gas supplies and are willing to pay more for them so LNG shipments arnt as high as they should be as LNG companies are selling there gas to the highest bidder. What i Belive is going to happen going forward with gas prices over the next 3-4 months (remebering i said price cuts and increases are staggered ) is come january prices will fall. The reason why i believe this is oil price has been low now for he past 4-6 weeks and the european gas price is linked to oil price (its the only place in the world where this is the case ) i personal feel the goverment need to step in and get the link on oil prices removed as gas prices would have been alot lower if that link wasnt in place. My advice is prices will fall in the short term as in this economic climate people will be cutting back on what they use there for prices arnt likley to be on the rise in the short term but be very warry as the economies start to recover and people feel confident its highley likely prices will start rising again and i will predict prices will go alot higher than todays prices quite simply because we will be importing more and more gas and the developing nations will be using alot more gas also and as the gas market is a world market if one nation is using more it impact on everyone just like the credit crunch and america has affected everyone. I predict a Energy Crunch!

Id go on to the cheapest tariff today to ride out the credit crunch then once the ecconomy starts recovering look at fixing your for as long as you can

Thanks
    Hi

If the goverment is asking energy companies to lower their pricing I bet I know their answer. 'Job Losses'

And that will certainly keep the powers that be off their backs. Unemployment is predicted at £3m by 2010 so they will surely back off any company threatening to make job cuts. If any thing they will probably get tax breaks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peggle View Post
    Problem is the pound has fallen against the dollar at the same time.

Roughly, oil was $147 (£70), now $60 (£40) a barrel, so a 60% fall for dollar users, but only 40% for us in Britain.

As for gas & electricity, we had plenty of warning prices were about to rise. I fixed my prices & am paying 30% less than current rates.

I think they buy their gas on 6 month contracts, so the price should fall for most people after Xmas.
    $54.85 and falling per week - Agree the fookers have very quite (hiding) as any excuse to hike up prices - when wholesale prices have tumbled.

There is always a bypass

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by applematt View Post
    $54.85 and falling per week - Agree the fookers have very quite (hiding) as any excuse to hike up prices - when wholesale prices have tumbled.

There is always a bypass
    LONDON (Reuters) - The country's second-biggest energy company said on Wednesday it may cut household bills early next year if wholesale energy prices keep falling.

Scottish & Southern Energy, which has almost 9 million customers, is one of the big six suppliers which all raised prices twice this year.

Chief Executive Ian Marchant told journalists on a conference call that wholesale energy prices had been falling for three to six weeks and that he expected the downward trend to continue.

"If the downward trend in wholesale prices is maintained, I'm optimistic of (being able to make) price reductions for domestic customers during the early part of next year," Marchant said.

The company last raised gas prices by 29.2 percent and electricity by 19.2 percent in August.

My point exactly!!!!!!!

It annoys me the amount of people that blame companies when prices are higher. The times i hear people saying companies are quick to put up prices and slow to bring them down when infact thats a load of rubbish if anything they wait longer to increase prices than they do to bring them down.

This is what happened after the last time companies put prices down

British Gas signalled last night that it could make its second gas and electricity price cut within a matter of weeks as the battle for household energy customers reached new heights.

Scottish & Southern Energy yesterday became the fourth supplier to promise lower bills nationwide as it revealed plans to reduce gas prices by 12 per cent and electricity by 5 per cent. The cuts, which are being phased in from today, will make SSE the cheapest on the market for most households.

However, British Gas immediately hit back by undercutting its rival’s online tariff, and Phil Bentley, managing director, promised further reductions for other customers “soon”. He told The Times: “We have led the market down and we are quite prepared to go again if this positive outlook for wholesale markets remains. In the last couple of years we haven’t been competitive. I’m the new managing director and I want to be competitive. I want to win customers back.”

The comments stunned industry experts even though many have been calling for price cuts for the past six months given sharp falls in wholesale energy costs.

BACKGROUND
    Powergen to slash gas and electricity bills
    Domestic water bills to rise by up to 10%, says Ofwat
    RELATED LINKS
    Powergen to slash gas and electricity bills
    Adam Scorer, campaigns director at Energywatch, said: “This latest price move downwards is a signal of intent that British Gas wants to slough off its reputation as the most expensive energy supplier. This is the kind of response consumers have been waiting for.”

British Gas is reducing its online ClickEnergy tariff by only 4 per cent, but this takes its dual-fuel rate for customers on the account to £755 a year, the cheapest on the market.

The company was the first to announce price cuts in the sector three weeks ago, promising to cut gas bills across its customer base by 17 per cent and electricity by 11 per cent. The cuts take effect on March 12.

Npower and Powergen have both followed suit but delayed the implementation of their own reductions until April 30.

The British Gas announcement overshadowed SSE’s plans, which were welcomed by consumer watchdogs.

SSE said that gas bills would fall from today and electricity rates would drop by April 1. Its price cuts would take average dual-fuel rates, excluding online offers, down by £89 to £873 – the cheapest standard rate.

and when prices started going up again !!!!!

British Gas-owner Centrica defended its price increase, arguing that market conditions had changed significantly.

"In the last six months of 2007, higher wholesale gas prices have reduced British Gas operating margins to around 1%," it said.

Centrica added that at current wholesale prices British Gas "would be loss making in 2008 without the increase".

They are making five times more per customer this year than they were last year
    It also blamed rises in the price it has to pay to transport and distribute energy, as well as the cost of meeting the government's targets for the use of renewable energy sources and reducing carbon emissions.

Which i my point exactly notice "In the last six months of 2007, higher wholesale gas prices have reduced British Gas operating margins to around 1%,"

end of the day they are buinesses and they need to make profit I know British Gas aim for a margin of 4% which when you compare other organisations such as Shell and BP operating profit is 18-22%. Last years Finanacial results BG made a profit of aroud £30 per customer per year. it just so happens they have 15-16 million customer so when you see the term huge profits its not that huge in terms of profit per customer.

people are entitled to their opions but it annoys me they base there opions on the media and not on facts!

Thanks
    just had a phone call from bg about transfering my supply to them.

they go that over the last 2 years there prices are more cheaper than my current supplier(npower).

i did reiterate that how come nothing has been done about the current fall in prices of oil.
    why can't they all reduce there energy prices?

he could not answer so i just hung up.

feckers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satmo View Post
    just had a phone call from bg about transfering my supply to them.

they go that over the last 2 years there prices are more cheaper than my current supplier(npower).

i did reiterate that how come nothing has been done about the current fall in prices of oil.
    why can't they all reduce there energy prices?

he could not answer so i just hung up.

feckers

All of them will reduce there prices.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personaly wouldnt even listern to a sales call would you phone someone up and offer your best price tariff if you could get them onto another tariff which is making your company more money? ..... look on ukpower dot com if you are wanting to save money but make sure you know what you are actualy using. the cheapest tariff at the moment based on the uk average usage is click 6 which is an online tariff by british gas (average usage is 20500kwhs Gas 3300kwhs Ele) but The supplier you are with is quite close with there online tariff theres only £10-£20 in it a year as it was a sales call i very much doubt they were offering the online tariff

You can find savings vary a great deal depending on usage so you would need to know your annual usage to work out if its worth while the online tariffs will also go lower if prices fall

PS wouldnt trust what anyone says unless you see it in writting or you know its true and is fact. The guy trying to sell you BG was most likley genralizing it does again deend on your location as diffrent areas are charged diffrent unit costs due to transportation costs ect. If you in an Npower area on standard tariff i gurentee you a saving on electricity with any other company (host suppliers will charge more) (due to competition laws ) BG used to be the same with gas which is why they were well known to be the most expensive on gas but they were cheap on ele
    Last edited by SAUS04; 18-11-2008 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks
    have u all got convenient memories, or dont u like admitting the truth, THINK, over the last 20 years when u were really well off, almost everybody had a newish car, 2 hols a year, what party was in then ,and then smell reality,.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Do you mean when that bunch of tossers who raised the mortgage interest rate to 16% were in ?

Ah yes! Wasn't it Norman Lamont and his chief backroom boy, none other than David Cameron.

Thanks

Icon8 Energy prices

One word for theys greedy b*stards NATIONALISATION as the oil prices went up or down there profits only ever went up, i think the energy companies have played a big part in fooking this country up big time AND WHO SOLD THEM OF TO THERE CHUMS ( THE TORYS ) just like they sold the water oil gas off etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixer View Post
    One word for theys greedy b*stards NATIONALISATION as the oil prices went up or down there profits only ever went up, i think the energy companies have played a big part in fooking this country up big time AND WHO SOLD THEM OF TO THERE CHUMS ( THE TORYS ) just like they sold the water oil gas off etc.

"people are entitled to their opions but it annoys me they base there opions on the media and not on facts!"

If i remeber rightly ofgem investigated to see if competiton was working and hey conculded it was . as for proffits going up that is not the case again think people need to look at facts before making such statements.

Record British Gas loss
    Tom McGhie, Mail on Sunday
    23 July 2006, 9:50am
    Deals
    BRITISH Gas will this week announce record losses of up to £200m for the six months to the end of June after soaring wholesale prices.

BURNING MONEY: Gas bills could rise yet again

This is grim news for the company's 11.3m gas customers and 5.9m electricity customers, who now face a huge rise in bills in early September.

Gas bills could go up by about 12% as the company attempts to claw back its losses. The latest price increases will come on top of a whopping 22% price rise in February.

British Gas has been hit because the cost of wholesale gas is 60% up on 2005 and 202% up on 2003. It buys about three-quarters of its supplies on the open market.

***p://***.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=41113

***p://***.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/centrica-feels-the-heat-as-british-gas-heads-for-heavy-losses-507039.html

Again look at facts :P

Thanks
    bunch of tossers, no det ,brown blair, werent in power then luckily, mind u were so well off under brown, ican see where ur thoughts are,

Thanks

Icon10 Are you on the same plannet

Quote Originally Posted by SAUS04 View Post
    "people are entitled to their opions but it annoys me they base there opions on the media and not on facts!"

If i remeber rightly ofgem investigated to see if competiton was working and hey conculded it was . as for proffits going up that is not the case again think people need to look at facts before making such statements.

Record British Gas loss
    Tom McGhie, Mail on Sunday
    23 July 2006, 9:50am
    Deals
    BRITISH Gas will this week announce record losses of up to £200m for the six months to the end of June after soaring wholesale prices.

BURNING MONEY: Gas bills could rise yet again

This is grim news for the company's 11.3m gas customers and 5.9m electricity customers, who now face a huge rise in bills in early September.

Gas bills could go up by about 12% as the company attempts to claw back its losses. The latest price increases will come on top of a whopping 22% price rise in February.

British Gas has been hit because the cost of wholesale gas is 60% up on 2005 and 202% up on 2003. It buys about three-quarters of its supplies on the open market.

***p://***.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=41113

***p://***.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/centrica-feels-the-heat-as-british-gas-heads-for-heavy-losses-507039.html

So what you are saying is all theys shareholders are making a loss they have bought into a lameduck what makes them NO money. YESSSSSSSSS m8 that sounds about right i dont believe a word of it sorry. The greedy capitalists system has just got to big and powerfull and now its eating itself from the inside out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAUS04 View Post
    . . . .BRITISH Gas will this week announce record losses of up to £200m for the six months to the end of June after soaring wholesale prices.

Ah! but you can prove anything with facts.

For example British Gas is just a small subsidiary of Centrica. Yes British Gas has had to pay a lot more for its wholesale purchase of gas but who is the high priced seller?

Well the answer is parent company Centrica.

Although profits from selling gas and electricity were down sharply, Centrica's gas production division more than made up for this, increasing profits by 40 per cent to £540m on the back of soaring oil prices and shortage of supplies.
    Probably just a big tax fiddle by a partly offshore company.