Thread: disecq/lnb limitations

Thanks

disecq/lnb limitations

Hi,

I have a dm800 (S), gemini3.8 with up to date software.

I have a simple setup with 1 dish (80cm) and 1 lnb pointing towards 28.2 and I sometimes move it to 19.2

I would like to be able to view both satellites without any adjustments but with the most cost effective way possible.

My initial ideas are to purchase another lnb and a disecq.
    So, are there any limitations on what lnb's or disecqs I can use? I have come accross a few threads on various forums that suggest various makes can be incompatible or not work correctly.

I wanted a multi-lnb bracket but I notice most are either expensive or are specially for triax dishes.

Any suggestions on what I should do to get this setup would be most appreciative. I will think of adding more satellites providing its possible with one dish so I guess I should purchase a disecq with more inputs?

Thanks
    Cheapest & easy would be to buy Diseqc motor.
    Can get them for < £50 now and I beleave the dark motor has metal gears for less than £50. You could use your exsisting 80cm dish for 28% 19% & 13% and get a bigger dish when your ready to explore further.

All you need as well as the motor is a mounting bracket. Which you could make yoursel out of scaffold tube and angle iron.
    Then your langtitude and longtitude from google earth and away you go. Fully motorised for < £50

Thanks
    aabs

Thanks for this great reply. I have been reluctant to explore the motorised dish idea until your last post. My reasons have been:

-My lack of knowledge on the subject
    -Not sure about how it is powered (ie another powersupply to the motor?)
    -If they are loud when moving positions or not?
    -How easy they are to calibrate (Is it simply just as easy as inputting my lang/longtitude info and then copying some settings onto it?)
    -And I was doubtful on price but you have changed my mind on this now.

Could you proivde me with some more info/links on the kind of things I would need. I have some free time on my hands at the moment (until I find another job) so this should keep me busy )

Much appreciated.

Thanks
    I have just read a wiki on USALS, quite interesting. I guess this is exactly what you were refering to?

Currently the dish is positioned on the floor but nevertheless receiving an excellent signal. Do you think a wood garden shed would be feasible to support a dish and motor, being able to move it accurately? Before I start drilling holes in the house and going up ladders its easier (possibly better clearance/reception also) mounted from the shed position.

I know theres a lot of imformation around but a lot of it may or may not be relevent to my existing setup or what I need. I appreciate some guidance as this is very new to me. Im reading up as much as I can.

Is there any compatibility issues with any of these motors and my dm800? Are they powered by the receiver? How loud are they in reality?

*editted*
    I have found some answers to some questions:
    - The motor is powered by the coaxial cable from the receiver so no additional power supply is needed.
    - Some are sold as ultra-low noise (how loud/quiet is this?)
    - To calibrate position South and input Lat/Longitude

My next question is if this one is any good: TECHNOMATE TM-2200 SUPER MOTOR
    Last edited by veron57; 18-11-2008 at 01:12 AM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I personally have the super dark motor (the metal gear one), and that works perfect with the dm800. I don't know if you could call it loud, but I guess it is. But that's because it is actually connected to the house, so as it turns, it's going to cause some vibrations, which carry the sound. Although we can hear next door very loudly in our house also (which I feel justifies me turning the dish all the time :001_005:

Anyway, to install it, you need to be totally plumb. Make sure you use a spirit level to ensure that your are not out at all, and check on all sides of the pole.

I would say to use t & k brackets with some good scaffolding pole, as this is the most sturdy method of keeping the dish without it moving due to wind pressures. For this reason (wind pressures) I wouldn't advice to mount the dish on to your shed. If you wanted, you could always dig down in to the ground, and cement in a scaffold pole, and then put the dish high enough to receive the satellites...

hth

Thanks
    Thanks for you recommendations. I have just ordered a super dark motor (not superior but super). :respect-059:

loveman, I like your suggestion about cementing a scaffholding pole in the ground. I think this will be ideal for me.

While im anxiouly awaiting delivery I will try to get hold of a decent 5/6ft pole and start my preparations

Thanks
    Hi Vernon,

Sorry aint forgot this thread not been on for a few days.

I have a Stabs motor a little more expensive @ £80 but you cant even heard it when its moving unless you go outside, stand underneath it and no cars are around. You can then just about hear it.

From what I read on your first post you can keep it really simple and not bother with USUALS. I have my stab set up on Discqe because im only intrested in the high powered sats in my footprint area. Ie 19.2/28.5/13.0/16.0/10.0/1.00

If this is the kind of thing you are looking to do for starters all you will need is you dish/motor installed as correctly as possible and your langtitude and longtitude which is easy to get theses days.

When I set mine up I basically got 1%west using £5.00 sat meter from **** then tightened the bolts to take it slightley to the south.
    Configured the DM to motorised with my lang and long.

The first time then it took my 2 days to find all the sats but since then I have learnt from the help of others that it is far easier to install a channel list using dreamboxedit and thats it you flick to a channel the dish moves so you can enjoy the FTA footy on 19 & 13 then switch to BBC HD after without any probs.

I have a scaled down channel list I can mail you when you are ready as the LikoRotor has many sats that you may not be able to get.

Thanks
    Right,

My super dark motor is now in my possession and it looks good.

I have just dug out a 2-3 foot hole, it was difficult to remove the soil with a spade when the hole was so deep.

I have acquired a scaffholding pole about 9 foot in length (which is much bigger than I actually need but better to be too big than too small).

We didnt get any snow in Wales where I am living last night but there is intermittent rain so I need to wait for a clear spell before mixing up the cement, sand and chippings.

I would be interested in taking a look at your list please aabs

I found a handy video on youtube which I have been watching several times lately regarding a motorised setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBErZGBb2Fo

Thanks
    I have put put the motor and dish up loosely and have been trying to find Thor at 1 west (0.8) but im struggling to find it.

Is it possible to set this up using 28.2 or 19.2? if so how would I do that? would I first have to turn the motor ? or leave it on 0 position?

Thanks
    As an update for anyone who is interested, I have it setup now and its working OK.

I selected simple setup in the tuner configuratoin and then enabled the positioner. Then entered my long/lat.

Then I selected a channel on 28.2 (sky news), the motor moved but ofcourse no channel came on the tv just yet. My satfinder wouldnt seem to work whilst the motor was connected, I had to change my tuner config back to simple/28.2, disconnect the motor and then I was able to use the satfinder to lock on to 28.2... sky news was working just fine.

28.2 is the most important one for me so its important that this one had a good signal.

I have been moving east and west and I am picking up a good few satellites. Need to make some very slight fine tuning tomorrow to finish the job.

Next things for me to do will be to get a new dish and lnb to replace the cheapy ones I currently have.