Thread: IPod touch!

Thanks

IPod touch!

Just a bit advice for anyone thinking of buying one.
    My ipod classic died so i had a toss up between an ipod touch and a standard mp3/4 player.
    ipods have a lot of issues and the fact that my old one just suddenly died was putting me off the pods but as i already had a docking station with speakers, car charger, sender, car docking station blah blah.
    Well theyre all totaly useless with the ipod touch
    That said, theyre a cracking bit kit though!
    So if your thinking of upgrading to the touch expect to upgrade everything else aswell.

Thanks
    yet another example of ripoff companys. liveing on a name.

Thanks
    I refuse to buy something which is

A: Too expensive

B: Not compatible with other kit (due to custom connectors etc.) and

C: Has embedded copy protection

My 2Gb MP3 player was abut 25 quid, accepts up to 4Gb micro-SD card and will work with the headphones I choose, a standard USB interface/charger and any FM transmitter with a standard 1/8" plug - and will play any MP3 audio or MP4 video I have

No need for overpriced iPods with their designed obsolecence!

BG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo.dr View Post
    Just a bit advice for anyone thinking of buying one.
    My ipod classic died so i had a toss up between an ipod touch and a standard mp3/4 player.
    ipods have a lot of issues and the fact that my old one just suddenly died was putting me off the pods but as i already had a docking station with speakers, car charger, sender, car docking station blah blah.
    Well theyre all totaly useless with the ipod touch
    That said, theyre a cracking bit kit though!
    So if your thinking of upgrading to the touch expect to upgrade everything else aswell.
    Take it to your nearest Apple shop, get em to find out what's wrong with it, then have a mooch on the well known auction site for some spares and have a crack at fixing it yourself

Thanks
    zyban thats a good idea!
    it was working no problem, it just wouldnt be recognised by any program at all.
    it hung up synching and that was it, it still played its content.
    here is a run through of exactly what i done, maybe someone might be able to help me get it going again.
    my main pc with itunes died so i used sharepod to extract what was on it and stored on my new pc.
    i then loaded itunes again and synched and reloaded the content but there was stuff missing here and there and while trying to fill in the gaps it just hung up.
    i tried it on 2 different pc's, wasnt in device manager, itunes wouldnt pick it up nor would any other progger. even proggers to fix ipods wouldnt recognise it being conected.
    i then banged it face down over my bed post and was quite suprised as it was still intact, so i banged it again twice as hard as i could hoping for a better result and although the inner screen broke it was still lighting up so i repeatedly smashed it over the bed post but the damn thing would not give up!
    not one to be beaten i then with all my force slammed it into the floor several times and the thing was still intact apart from the broken inner screen which was not lighting up anymore so i threw it in the waste paper basket.
    i went back to make sure it was dead and the last journey into the basket must have been the straw that broke the camels back as it was now in several bits. SUCCESS

maybe its last journey should have been saved for the store but i doubt it would make the distance to the counter through the front window

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BG101 View Post
    I refuse to buy something which is

A: Too expensive

B: Not compatible with other kit (due to custom connectors etc.) and

C: Has embedded copy protection
    It doesn't have embedded copy protection thats not how DRM is implemented on the ipod its only a problem if you use itunes I have never used itunes always used xPlay 2

@gonzo.dr

ipod touch is a nice bit of kit go take a look at the demo on the apple site gives you a pretty good idea of what it can do and if I'm not mistaken they are already jailbreaked so you can install third party soft etc

TNT

Verified Registered User january_king's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think that I am correct on this - at least it is what I was told at an Apple franchise - the iPod dock connectors used to be set up for Firewire and USB but the Firewire connections have been dropped in (at least) the current iPod Touch. For this reason I found that my travel charger no longer worked. Solution to this one was to use a universal USB charger which works fine.
    It's an addictive piece of kit as it does so much more than a standard player - the wi-fi connectivity is a boon when travelling for one thing.
    JK

Thanks
    yeah, there amazing, I'm using it now to write this reply.
    I'm looking into jailbreak ATM, it's almost surreal, the capabilities are great,I'm so happy I smashed my classic.

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    I've seen hundreds of games on newsgroups

TNT

Thanks
    bugger, cant jailbreak it!
    its a new 2nd gen with new different hardware to what jailbreak was written for.
    i guess im gona have to wait a bit for a new release

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    Yeah I read that today as I've been looking at getting one for a while, DevTeam are working on it so guess it will appear on their blog first

_http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

TNT

Thanks
    Are these worth buying for internet use? Kinda interested in one as I was thinking of an Iphone but too expensive. I've seen the demonstration video on their website for the Ipod Touch and it looks pretty cool. Whats peoples opinions?