Thread: Upgrading MVision HD200 Combo

Thanks

Question Upgrading MVision HD200 Combo

Hello,

I have bought an MVision HD200 Combo receiver. I can see various technical utilities and files around these forums, but I don't have any understanding of how to go about upgrading the receiver.

I've contacted Turbosat to find out how, but just in case anyone here can help me before they reply, here's what I've asked.

"
    Hello,

I believe you are the designated UK service contact for the MVision HD200 Combo satellite receiver.

I have recently bought this receiver and see at the following url an update is available :-
    _http://m-vision.eu/forum/index.php?topic=7.0

However, I have no idea how to go about doing the upgrade. The very short USB cable they supply with the unit seems to have a strange USB connection type on one end, meaning that end will neither fit into the receiver's USB socket or my pc's USB socket.
    Can you please explain what I am supposed to do regarding this with as much extra detail as possible.

I can also connect the receiver and my pc using an RS232 cable, but then I have no idea how to attempt an upgrade that way either.

So, thanks for your anticipated detailed help.
    "

Thanks.
    Last edited by mynameisEarl; 06-09-2008 at 04:53 AM.

Thanks
    pretty simple, go to gxmax.com and d`load the latest software for the 200HD.
    Put it onto your usb pendrive. Insert in the back of the receiver. Go into the Menu and take it from there..

Also important is to do a factory reset after you`ve done the upgrade

Thanks
    Thanks for replying, suprapower.

I haven't heard of that site before; Is it officially linked to the manufacturers? It doesn't look like it.
    I'd want to be a bit careful of what I try loading in. My aim is to upgrade the official receiver software/firmware(?) rather than add any patches made by users.

I don't have a USB pen drive or know what one is without looking it up. Do I need then to buy one to upgrade this receiver?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by mynameisEarl; 06-09-2008 at 04:52 AM.

Thanks
    Its the official update and other updates on it too. Either use a usb pen drive or an external hard drive, the usb cable with the unit is just an extension. Its well worth upgrading, and also using the channel list also on the forum by satpaul. A usb pen drive costs a tenner if that. you only need a small capacity.

A pen drive is a small portable hard drive

Thanks
    Official update site h**p://www.hsmd.tv/

Thanks
    Thanks mdgd,

I see a USB pen drive is also known as a USB Flash Drive isn't it? As you say, some are quite cheap.

I'm confused about the 3 websites; which are official and unofficial?
    Also, does the latest manufacturer upgrade bring new functionality to the unit? If so, can you give me an idea of what is improved?

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by mynameisEarl; 06-09-2008 at 04:52 AM.

Verified Registered User jackpot18uk's Avatar
    Thanks
    gxmax is the unofficial site, but this firmware will allow you to recieve extra channels that you wont be able to get if you use the official firmware. Make sure you use the correct firmware for your reciever

Thanks
    Thanks jackpot,

So just to clarify; once I get a USB pen drive ...

For most up to date performance and functionality for the HD200 Combo, I can go quite safely to gmax . com and use what is available for download there using the 'go' button?
    Having loaded it, do a factory default on the receiver, and off we go?
    Last edited by mynameisEarl; 06-09-2008 at 04:51 AM.

Thanks
    Yes, just make sure you use the specific firmware for your model of receiver. I don't have the HD200 combo myself, but have a couple of older M-Visions and never had a problem with any firmware from GXmax. Not sure on your model but probably worth backing up your channel list to your usb pen before loading new firmware, if its possible on the HD200, then reloading after firmware upgrade, or you'll have to scan for channels again.

Thanks
    Thanks again, jackpot.
    I'm sorry to be making an epic of this ... I haven't done it before!

From what I can tell, that download on the front page of the gmax site seems to be for both the HD200 and the HD200 Combo (which I have). Would you agree? I can't find any other pages on that site anyway.

From what I can see in my receiver, there are currently no backup options, but I don't mind doing a fresh scan etc after doing a factory default.
    Last edited by mynameisEarl; 06-09-2008 at 04:51 AM.

Thanks
    It appears that the firmware is for both the HD200 and HD200 combo, on the HSMD official firmware site it also appears for this to be the case, older models of M-visions used to have separate firmware for the sat only and sat-terrestrial combo versions. But it now seems on the latest models both the sat only and combo use the same firmware.

Thanks
    Great, thanks again.
    Well, I've got a USB drive now and am about to give it a go.
    I'll report back in case other newbies find this thread and want to know if it works.
    Last edited by mynameisEarl; 06-09-2008 at 04:50 AM.

Thanks
    Well, I did it but I don't see any great changes. I was hoping for some significant enhancements in the operating functions etc but there don't seem to be any? Maybe this is called a 'speedy' update because its main purpose is to enhance speed of operation? The satellite searching and other operations probably seem quicker now.

What I do see now, when you're on a channel and press 'ok' to get the channel list up (detail list), there is a blue button showing next to the 'FAV' and 'SAT' words. However I don't seem to be able to get any use out of the blue button there. Actually, I didn't understand previously what I am meant to be able to do with the 'SAT' and 'FAV' words there.

This may have been there previously and maybe I didn't notice, but Satellite Search has 2 alternating option displays at the bottom of the screen. What is 'Fast Scan' in there as opposed to the other Search Options? Presumably something about it is faster?

Thanks again.

PS I did things in this order:-

Plugged in USB stick in back of receiver.
    Turned receiver on.
    Went to Accessory, USB. Hit 'OK' on the .UAD file using 'S/W + all data update'.
    Let the process complete and the receiver auto rebooted.
    Removed the USB stick.
    I did a factory default reset.
    I went to Accessory, Key Edit. Key Edit was showing 'OK'. I turned UCAS On and UCAS Autoroll On.
    Started to use receiver.

System Information is showing:-
    Model Name HD 200 Combo
    Software Version F1.23, LDR: Ver 00.01
    Hardware Version Ver 01.00
    Last Update Aug 7 2008
    Last edited by mynameisEarl; 06-09-2008 at 04:50 AM.

Thanks
    I actually find, when it comes to using the receiver, that the 'Speedy' update/upgrade doesn't work for me. The receiver starts working oddly/ wrongly in various ways.
    The update/upgrade from the hsmd site seems to work fine for me, however.
    Last edited by mynameisEarl; 06-09-2008 at 04:49 AM.

Thanks
    on the Gxmax firmware you need to 'Activate Speedy by selecting
    Accessory, key edit
    UCAS ON
    UCAS Autoroll ON'
    this is probably for prem on 19e and digi on 1w.

The difference between HSMD and GXMAX is that the GXmax contains an emulator to enable you to watch some scrambled channels for free on satellites other then **** at 28e. and the HSMD does not contain any emulation.

Thanks
    ok, thanks again Jackpot.

I found later that the receiver was still prone to acting strangely even with the hsmd upgrade. The main thing I noticed with both upgrades was sometimes all my channels claimed to be 'no signal'. This may have been fixable however by switching the unit off at the back then on and again.
    However, there seemed little point in persevering with an 'upgrade' that apparently made things worse!

I'm now trying the upgrade I linked to in my first post, which seems to be fine. This seems to be slightly newer than what my unit came with, maybe by about a month.

I still haven't heard from Turbosat via their 'support ticket site' ... pretty poor seeing as MVision's site say they are the UK contact.

PS I realised earlier that I was repeatedly typing 'gmax' rather than 'gxmax'
    Last edited by mynameisEarl; 06-09-2008 at 04:49 AM.

Thanks

HDMI output

Thanks for all of you.
    I am thinking of buying the Mvision HD-200 and would like to know whether the HD-200 can outputs 576i over HDMI? This is important as I would like to feed my scaler with interlace signal rather than progressive one over HDMI.
    Wassel
    Regards

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wassel View Post
    Thanks for all of you.
    I am thinking of buying the Mvision HD-200 and would like to know whether the HD-200 can outputs 576i over HDMI? This is important as I would like to feed my scaler with interlace signal rather than progressive one over HDMI.
    Wassel
    Regards
    No an Yes
    No as .. You can´t choose it in meny an have at HD kvallity.
    Yes: If You choose a RGB option than You can get a 576i but it seems to be att SD kvallity.
    so...
    Your choice!:ack2: