Thread: Freesat with Magic-Eye Compatibility ?

Thanks

Freesat with Magic-Eye Compatibility ?

I currently subscribe to a basic Sly package for my general Tv requirements and have an Echostar AD3000-ip viaccess with motorised dish, for other viewing requirements, sports, movies etc.. I have wired the RF2 from the Sly box to the other Tv's in our house, and use Magic-Eyes to control the Sly box.

I have a large screen HD ready Tv in my lounge and I am considering cancelling my Sly subscription and getting one of these HD Freesat boxes.

I was wondering if any of the HD Freesat boxes have an RF2 output that is compatible with the Magic-Eyes ?

Also just wondering if I actually need a HD Freesat box to receive Freesat, I have seen other HD satellite receivers on the market, is Freesat SD & HD FTA ?? Perhaps I could replace my Echostar receiver/positioner with a HD receiver/positioner ??

Any advice about what is the best way to go about it would be greatly appreciated..

Coppull Buster
    Last edited by Coppull Buster; 06-10-2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Thanks
    I do not think the non-sly boxes are magic eye compatible , so I would think the answer is no

but

that does not mean you cannot use a magic eye to control them because you can

you either need the blue blaster at the receiver end to take the magic eye codes and blast them at the front of the receiver , or use the global plus to do the same thing , I have both and they work fine with all kinds of kit so I see no reason why they would not work with the new boxes

in theory any box will receive freesat , so a hd freesat box should receive almost any free to air channels , including hd

I dont think you will get one with 36v though as they all seem to be diseqc , so a vbox may be needed too

Thanks
    Thanks Echelon

I think I may just keep my Echostar where it is and replace the Sly box with a HD Freesat box and get a blueblaster for the magic eyes..

I've been trawling through the threads and getting conflicting reports, any advice on which Freesat HD box is the best one to get ?? PVR feature would be handy, but can only see ones like the Fortec which require an external HDD.

kind regards
    Buster

Thanks
    too early to say m8 as the freesat pvr,s are not out yet , and humax are expected to be first

I am waiting until a few arrive and hopefully with internal hdd before I decide to invest , and a hd version of the tm9100 would tempt me at the right price , but as I dont have an HD tv as yet its not top of my list , but I tried to answer the query based on what I already use

Thanks
    I really appreciate your advice Echelon..
    I already have an amplifier in a cupboard upstairs that feeds the other Tv's in the house, its a powered amp that powers the magic eye's. Your "blue blaster" suggestion is a great idea, Ive just been looking them up, I didnt realise before you mentioned it, that they were even available, so thanks for that mate..

As for the HD Freesat box, would be nice to get one with internal HDD PVR. I think Im going to watch the market (and the Freesat threads) very closely over the next few weeks before making a decision on which box to go for.. But one thing I do know is that Im definitely going to be cancelling my sly subscription, they have just announced its going up again!!!! The Freesat box would pay for itself in no time !!

Kind regards
    Buster

Thanks

Any signs ??

Any signs of Freesat PVR's yet...

Whats the verdict & any advice?
    Ive been looking on the Humax website and cant see anything yet..
    I have some hard-earned crinkly notes in my pocket and Im ready to invest in a Freesat HD PVR..

Thanks
    i am in exactly the same situation, i would like to ditch sky hd and switch to freesat (i'll probably wait a couple of months for the recordable freesat hd box). The only thing that will stop me is not being able to see and change the channels from all my other rooms. All the relevant wiring is in place and i don't mind spending a few quid getting the relevant compatible magic eye, i just need a little more advice on getting this "blueblaster" thingey. I searched on google but it linked computer games

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    h--p://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cinema/news/2008/08/29/IFA-2008--Humax-Quietly-Unveils-Freesat-HD-FOXSAT-HDR-PVR/p1

that a review on the humaX HDR pvr stb.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfast67 View Post
    i am in exactly the same situation, i would like to ditch sky hd and switch to freesat (i'll probably wait a couple of months for the recordable freesat hd box). The only thing that will stop me is not being able to see and change the channels from all my other rooms. All the relevant wiring is in place and i don't mind spending a few quid getting the relevant compatible magic eye, i just need a little more advice on getting this "blueblaster" thingey. I searched on google but it linked computer games

Thanks in advance
    it uses the same eye as the sky boxes , so either will do

_http://www.bluedelta.co.uk/smart-eye.html is their equivalent but sky eyes are cheaper

but you also need the receiver that transmits IR at the box end , the smart blaster

_http://www.bluedelta.co.uk/smart-blaster.html

or _http://www.bluedelta.co.uk/page37.html

or_http://www.beststuff.co.uk/bluedelta_smart_eye.htm

_http://www.beststuff.co.uk/bluedelta_smart_blaster.htm

In the beeches
    Thanks
    If you are near a screwfix you can get the identical Labgear version at a good price.

Thanks

Just what I've been waiting for...

Quote Originally Posted by wowwow View Post
    h--p://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cinema/news/2008/08/29/IFA-2008--Humax-Quietly-Unveils-Freesat-HD-FOXSAT-HDR-PVR/p1

that a review on the humaX HDR pvr stb.
    Just what Ive been waiting for :respect-040:

Anyone know where there are some in stock yet ?

Thanks
    thanks guys, that's a relief. Can't wait now for the Humax to be releases

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnham View Post
    If you are near a screwfix you can get the identical Labgear version at a good price.
    Mate, is this it?

_http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20272/Electrical/TV-Range/TV-Accessories/Handylink-Infra-red-Remote-Control-Extender-Kit

IM gonna get this for my brother if so, he needs to control his sky unit from the next room (where he has 2 tv's back to back on a chimney breast - so 2 hdmi's out to 2 tvs) he just wants to control sky when he's in the other room.....sky box out of sight and range otherwise.

In the beeches
    Thanks
    If you have a Sky box there's no need to get the full Labgear version.

All you need to control a Sky box is the magic eyes, which are easy to get anywhere and much cheaper than the full set up. But you need a RF cable from the Sky box to the TV, it won't work if you only have an HDMI connection.

Thanks
    not quite true , you do need a coax from the sky box to the magic eye but it doesnt have to actually plug into the tv itelf unless you want the analogue sky channel or you want the terrestrial analogue and digital channels

so no you dont need the coax lead from the sky box to the tv , although most ppl would actually connect it that way in order to get analogue and possibly freeview channels using the aerial input

Thanks
    Ech, you seem to know about this.

All my brother wants to do is control the one sky box, connected to 2 tv's via HDMI - one in one room, the other about a foot away in another room (two tv's mounted on 2 sides of a lounge chimney breast dividing the two rooms)

What does he need? Cheapest solution. He doesn't want to run any wires really if he can help it as everything is plasted over now (HDMI, Scarts etc)

Im tempted to think the Marmitek Powermid XL scenario is best?

Pls advise further, thanks!

Thanks
    you could use the marmitek but that means placing the receiver unit in front of the sly box so that it operates it like a remote control would do

the other option is to have the rf2 socket connected using coax to a magic eye , doesnt have to go to a tv aerial input but can do so if required , then turn on the rf2 magic eye in the sly secret menu and the eye will light up and can be placed discreetly near the tv so aiming the sly remote at the tv will go into the eye , up the coax to rf2 and will operate the sly box in the normal manner , and its the cheapest option too

so as this tv will have an aerial input , use the rf2 socket and go to the magic eye and tv in the room where there is no sly box , as the room where the sly box is will allow it to operate in the normal manner

so sly box in one room with rf1 output to tv if required , magic eye in the other room using coax from tv2 to rf2 on the sly box , with magic eye enabled in the sly menu on rf2

simple as that