Thread: fibre-optic lnb

Thanks

Question fibre-optic lnb

has anyone seen one of these yet ?
    it looks like we are having great changes in signal reception in the near future

Thanks
    Not really
    If you have an motorised dish you still neeed cables to steer the motor
    The noise figure is depending on the first preamp stage and mixer, wich still is needed to feed optical fiber
    You theoretically can use long optical fiber cable, i.e. putting the dish further from the house, but steerable dishes still need copper WIRING to feed the motor.

If you are looking for an better reception, nothing beats an bigger dish, here size DOES matter.
    The LNBF's out on the market today with 0.3 dB nF will do fine.

Crosspolarisation, gain flatness, image rejection are all more important as the abovee for an LNBF

Want more gain/channels? get an bigger dish 50% to double size will leave any supposed wonder lnbf behind.

An carefull adjustment of the lnbf for matching with the dish, etc will get the last 0.1 dB gain from the system.

cheers,

Cor

Thanks
    From what I read in the Tele Satellite article, while the fibre optic cable reduced the coax cable loss to almost zero, the lnb itself was no better than standard.

The cost looked pretty steep too...

A bigger dish would be a lot cheaper

Thanks
    Also, the shorter run of coax cable youŽre using, the less use for these optical ones youŽll have. I mean if you replace a very long run of medium quality coax cable with this new optical one youŽll probably see a noticable difference but if you replace a very short run of high quality coax cable you probably wonŽt win very much with this new optical technology.