Thread: Which LNB Single output or Twin output for motorised dish?

Thanks

Which LNB Single output or Twin output for motorised dish?

Hi All.

I ultimately want to run 2 receivers from 1 motorised dish.

Can anyone confirm my ideas on how to do this below:

Single output LNB:

The signal would pass through the Motor then be put through a sattelite splitter to both the boxes. Each box would then be able to control the motor.

Family peace would only happen when both receivers were looking at the same satellite and then the receivers could roam through that satellites channels.

Twin output LNB:

One signal(Master) would run through the motor and then onto the Master Receiver. This would be the receiver which would then control the dish.

Second signal would by pass the motor and simply run to the Slave Receiver. This would mean that that receiver could only roam about in the channels provided by whatever satellite the dish was pointing to.

I am planning to use this with Technomate 5400CI units.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated especiaaly if someone already has this in place.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    the single lnb split to 2 boxes wont work , each box needs full access to the lnb and the voltages may clash causing faults or damage

a twin output ( or quad output ) lnb is what you need , one box controlling the motor and the other a slave connected directly to the lnb , which is how I do it

so option B would work fine , and does on my technomates

I use

Moteck SG2100 Diseqc Motor
    Inverto Twin 0.2 Universal LNB
    Triax 1.1m dish
    Technomate tm1500 stb

Thanks

Icon12

Yes mate, be it motorised or fixed, for two receivers, you definetely need a two output LNB!

Thanks
    Does a twin output lnb mean that the signal going to the receiver is halved? i.e. 100% of what signal strength I have is divided by 2 means 50% strength each?

Would I be best to futureproof everything by putting a quad lnb up there as I only plan to install the dish once!!!

Or would I end up only getting 25% signal strength then loose some satellites I would normally see having a single output LNB?

Also if I put up a quad LNB and only start off using, as I plan, with one receiver from 1 of the outputs only will this cause any issues? All 4 LNB outputs would be terminated at the LNB having cables running nicely into the loft for easy access.

Thanks very much for the advice. You gotta start somewhere and its best to ask beforehand rather than trying to figure out why it aint working....

Thanks
    a twin output lnb is 2 lnb,s in one housing , each fiving their maximum output

a quad is 4 lnb,s in one housing , all giving maximum output when needed

any unused outputs can be left bare , no need to connect or terminate them at all

use what you want , when you want , and you can wire up all the outputs and leave them handy for future use , which is what I usually do

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    any unused outputs can be left bare , no need to connect or terminate them at all
    Maybe not from the performance of the others being affected, but it's advisable to fit an "F" connector well wrapped in self amalgamating tape to the unused Lnb output sockets to prevent the centre connector becoming corroded if required in the future.

Regards mahler.

Thanks
    the ones I use normally have a plastic removable cap on them , so I leave them on and slide the rain cover down as well

but yes its always a good idea to protect the f connectors , vaseline will do a good job of keeping out the damp too

Thanks
    Also might be worth pointing out that a quattro lnb is not a quad lnb so dont be fooled by the false advertising

Thanks
    OK lads the goods have arrived unfortunately with a single output LNB. I think I will go for a quad LNB as I said this is only going up once......although with the winds recently???

I will get cable run from all the outputs so that will protect the connectors even though not all of them will be used to start off with.

The initial box being wired through the motor and then all future boxes going from other LNB's and these futher boxes only being able to roam through the channels on the satellite the dish is pointing at controlled from the initial box.

Thanks again.