Thread: No compensation for HD-DVD owners

Thanks

Icon6 No compensation for HD-DVD owners

No compensation for HD-DVD owners

Unsurprisingly, Toshiba have ruled out any form of compensation to consumers who invested in the HD-DVD High Definition video format, saying that the HD-DVD players still had "inherent value".

Toshiba had recently announced that following a review of its business it would no longer produce HD DVD players. Toshiba president Atsutoshi Nishida said ... "It was an agonising decision for me, but I thought if we kept running this business it would have grave ramifications for the management of our company"

Toshiba have been quite bullish over the question of consumers stuck with obsolete equipment saying "There is nothing wrong with the products so we aren't accepting returns from customers". They will at least however be fully supporting the players for the foreseeable future.

Toshiba have pointed out that HD DVD players can also be used for playing CDs and DVDs although this will come as little comfort to early adopters who have invested heavily not only in the players but also High Definition HD DVD films.

In what appeared to be a sideways swipe at the prevailing Blu-ray High Definition format, Toshiba said they believed that from as early as next year High Definition DVD technology would be superseded by online movie downloads.

Thanks

Exclamation Blu-ray all the way!!!

I heard only "Sony" and, a few other companies are going to keep making blu-ray now, in my opinion HD disks are not worth the while anymore. Thanks for the post anyway, mate.

Thanks
    I'm still waiting for compensation for my Betamax player !

Sammy

Thanks

Icon8

Quote Originally Posted by ssjenkins View Post
    I'm still waiting for compensation for my Betamax player !

Sammy
    Well mate, you better wait sitting, LOL! The HD DVD's were true f*ck up's, I must addmit. I've given up, TIRED OF WAITING!!!

Banned
    Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Well mate, you better wait sitting, LOL! The HD DVD's were true f*ck up's, I must addmit. I've given up, TIRED OF WAITING!!!
    yh HD-DVDS are pointless now they havent been out for long and now they bring out a new format already.
    Soon u wont even be able to buy HD-DVDS only blue-ray, and the players that play that format are around 300 to 500 pounds, its better just too buy a PS3, a least with the PS3 you can play games and stuff.

regards, bond
    Last edited by 007bond; 26-02-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Thanks
    I've got the PS3 already and just bought myself a bargain HD DVD player just to play some bargain HD DVDs on when they start the clearout sales.

Banned
    Thanks
    yh but the ps3 plays HD.DVDs too.

regards, bond

Thanks
    From The Inquirer :-

ACCORDING TO a report on ************Tokyo, Japanese electronics dealer Edion is going to take the unusual step of letting customers who bought the now utterly useless and totally irrelevant Toshiba HD DVD boxes swap the used machines for brand spanking new Blu-ray player decks from Sony, Panasonic or Sharp.

The firm is apparently so greatly ashamed and humiliated that it sold thousands of its unlucky punters HD-DVD gear, that they wanted to do the honourable thing. But decided not to get the management to perform collective Hara-Kiri.

Edion's press release says that the (noble) offer runs from March 1st - March 31st . Customers will need to make up the price difference if their new machine works out to be more expensive, but, surprisingly and in very good form by the electronics merchant, Edion has pledged to refund the difference if the new Blu-ray player costs less. It's definitely a slick move, sure to provide plenty of good PR for the company which obviously understands the basic tenets of customer satisfaction.

Players eligible for the swap program are the RD-A1, RD-A300, RD-A600, RD-A301, HD-XA1, HD-XA2, and the HD-XF2.

And, extending their Japanese generosity even further, Edion have also said they'll continue selling HD-DVD films and blank disks to any unfortunate customer who might still need them.

_http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/25/firm-sweetens-blow-hd-dvd