Thread: 2.4m channel master

East of Ipswich. TM9100 on 1.2m CM Spiderbox on 1.8m CM. HD linux next
    Thanks

2.4m channel master

Hi.
    Bit of a question i should know the answer too but dont.

I recently came across a fixed 2.4m channel master dish.

Its got a c120 feed horn and old polariser and lnb and not been used for some years.

His reciever is a chapperel montery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been told to make some form of offer for it and think it worth at least £300- £400 its a beast of a dish but not sure what to offer (hope he thinks its worthless) because how do I motorise it?

Will it fit on one of my existing 3" ground poles, or do i need bigger?
    and if i get it. Where do i get a pole mount az/el for motorised

Has any one put one on a jackarm? and will it take a strong wind the forces must be massive

Sorry cannot reply till late friday as got to go to holland again, probs of working for a dutch company.

I really fancy the dish but not sure why (it just looks like a monster) and dont think will get any more than my 1.8, the wife will kill me but yepp what a dish.

Thanks
    check pm m8

Thanks
    M8 in your location I don't think you will gain anything from ku band.
    If your 180cm dish is giving you everything on 7.0w and 4.0w and 26.oe then there is no point in getting the 240cm.

You could have a try with the West Africa beam on 22.0w.

You would need a lot bigger than a 3inch pole m8.

My pole is roughly 8 inches wide.

I also have two arms on it, one for east to west and one for incline and decline.

The arms are 18inch heavy duty but even these have to give it 100% to move dish.

Then the worse bit the wife, m8 trust me the grief you will get will be bad, very bad.

I've uploaded a couple of snaps for you, one showing the arms the other shows the size of dish.
    Bear in mind the fence is just over 6 foot high.

Cheers

East of Ipswich. TM9100 on 1.2m CM Spiderbox on 1.8m CM. HD linux next
    Thanks
    Looks great.
    Not so sure how i will get a pole 8" diameter.
    Will have to wait and see how cheap i can get it for as looks like it will involve plenty of work.
    What do you use to drive the dish? I run my 2 current one off vbox's since i packed away my old echostar ad3600ipva

Brainstorm666, thanks will see if i can get a a good price first

tr8

Thanks
    Your council depot might have an old lamppost kicking around, 6" not 8 but should do.

K.

Thanks
    M8 just measured my pole and its about 6inches wide and just under 20 inches round.

This is slightly too small, the mount that fits on the pole is just under 8 inches and 25 inches round.

I use big bolts that tighten through the mount on to the pole.

I know the guy I got it from paid over £400 to a local engineering company to make it for him.

A lampost will not be strong enough, the pole I have here is solid steel and weighs a ton.

Just found a picture for you to look at before it was put togther.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

Understanding Wife

Keano mate you must have a very understanding wife, I remember reading your posts a while back when you ahem slipped it in round the back silence for a few days etc. Various amounts of bribery, must say though it look a monster. How has it been lately mine has been taking a battering only 88cm on side of house but been expecting to go out in the morning and finding it embedded into the neighbours windscreen on his car. Do you get everything on 7w am in South Manchester myself are all the Show channels on the hard to get beam or if I upgraded to say 1.5 would it make any diffrence,
    cheers in advance Tally

Thanks
    m8 wife is still going on about it but I have the support of her father so its not too bad.
    Might be worse in the summer ( if we have one ) when she and her friends want to sit in the garden, so might have to come down after footy season.

Now regarding a 150cm dish, I still have my gibertini 150 dish and matched feedhorn here and sorry to say that it never gave me a sniff of the H transponders and the dish was spot on.

The CM240 gives me the showtime channels but even this dish is only getting it with about 2% to spare, about 6% in the evening.

I know guys in the south who are OK with 150 dishes but once you past the midlands then the H beam becomes very weak.

Hope this helps

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

Cheers

Yeah cheers mate show is obviously the way for all footy but cost+grief+eyesore not worth it, might be some scientific formula for that
    once again cheers
    Tally.

Thanks
    Yep and to be honest if i knew now what i knew back in October then i would have never have bothered.

The cost of getting this thing and getting it up and running is near to the £900 mark and the grief from her in doors I should have just watched the footy on another channel and put the radio on, don't tell wife that

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I could never live with a woman who doesn't accept my hobbies, i would kick her out if she moaned, that means i am the boss in the house.