Thread: usb hard drives

Thanks

usb hard drives

hi all what usb hard drives would you recommend for the tm6900. also what size
    ie how much would a standard movie take up. if its a usb drive its powered through the usb so no need for a 3pin plug am i right in saying this.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I've got a 500gb usb hard drive for use with a high def receiver because high def uses up a lot of space, mine's an iomega formatted to fat32. If you only want standard definition, a 200gb drive should be all you need. You still need a power supply.

Thanks
    have a "Sumo" which is 500gb. It will store a few hundred films so is infact more than needed. Mine also has it's own electrical connection i.e. is not powered via the USB. One thing you cant do is change the chan whilst recording, also, one can only go up to 8 times in fast forward. You can put on markers whilst recording or play-back. It will record for 24 hrs strait.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    thanks m8's.

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    I have a "Western Digital My Book" and can highly recommend these drives mines work flawlessly since day one comes in all sizes even 1TB

Also has two USB ports so you can link them together if you want to add more space

I would always recommend formating any drive in NTFS as its much more reliable in any case you would probably need to for HD stuff

TNT

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finestrat View Post
    I've got a 500gb usb hard drive for use with a high def receiver because high def uses up a lot of space, mine's an iomega formatted to fat32. If you only want standard definition, a 200gb drive should be all you need. You still need a power supply.
    Does that cause any problems on long films as Fat 32 has a file size limit that is less than that required for HD movies?

Or does it simply split the movie across several files?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    It splits the hd movies into partitions which run consectutively when played. This doesn't cause any problems. My hivion receiver will only work with drives formatted to fat32.

Thanks
    Does the HD6900 see a NTFS disk, I had to format my 500gb to fat32,
    to get it to work?

S

Thanks

tm said!

on asking asking technomate on the phone[ they rarely answer emails] i was told that the HDD had to be powered thru USB so the STB could control the drive,..so timer functions would switch on hdd,...so i bought a WD passport 250gb ,..works great,..uses around 5 gb`s per hour on HD channels,..but i then found out that tha WD my book edition 500gb with seperate power supply can also be controlled by the TM HD , something to do with a chip of some kind in the HDD,..but i know for a fact that not all 500gb WD hdd`s work like that, and segate 500gb has the same prob,..but there must be some other devices capable of doing that job,..good luck,dobrocop,