Thread: Region Coded?

Thanks

Region Coded?

Hi,

I have just bought a HD DVD but can't see any sign of region code on it. Are HD DVD's (or Blue Ray DVD's for that matter) region coded or do they realise that it was a waste of time and are no longer bothering?

Cheers,
    Slime.

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    HD DVD has no region coding but Blu Ray does its one of the benefits of HD DVD that and the fact Blu Ray only titles in the
    US get released on HD DVD in other countries and you can watch them because they are not region coded

TNT

Thanks
    Thanks TNT - cheers for the reply

Thanks
    they are not region coded as yet but soon will be

Thanks
    @umgum - :( Joy!! NOT!! Why do they have to try and enforce all this stuff on us?!!!

I got The Bourne Identity on HD DVD for Crimbo but I can't get it to play with my Acer lappy and Power DVD Ultra - all my other (OK, so I only have 2 other HD DVDs) ones play OK but Power DVD keeps saying that it needs an update and I say Yes and then it asks again and I say Yes and it just keeps asking. If I say No, nothing happens :(

Thanks
    a HD DVD wont play on a DVD player mate, your need a HD DVD Player.

Thanks
    @applematt - my Acer lappy has an HD DVD drive and 2 of my 3 HD DVDs play OK on it

Thanks
    Got the menu to work now on the DVD (Bourne Identity) by running AnyDVD first (and thus it removing AASC) but movie just plays as black screen. It is so annoying as this is a legal HD DVD that was bought as a pressie, with a proper HDCP enabled laptop and screen and Power DVD Ultra software but I can't play it :(

Any ideas guys?

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    Its power dvd that is the cause of your problem you need the most current version obviously its not downloading the update needed

You can either blame the makers of power dvd for not securing their software in the first place or the hackers for finding its flaw

Either way you need the update or the latest copy of power dvd

TNT

Thanks
    Seems I have the latest version but the AASC updates are failing - not sure why :(

Thanks
    Right - PowerDVD (latest ver) now plays both troublesome HD DVDs I had (Bourne Identity and Bourne Ultimatum) but I had to upgrade to the lastest release of AnyDVD HD (6.3.0.3) and set it to strip off AASC. Just thought I'd post in case anyone else had same/similar issues.

Thanks for all the help/replies guys

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts
    thats the least of your worries, If HD-DVD doesnt have an answer to Warners announced Blu-ray exclusivity as of May 2008 then HD-DVD is doomed

Thanks
    try vlc

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by umgum View Post
    they are not region coded as yet but soon will be
    Any definate info on this m8, I was under the impression the region coding standard wasn`t even set yet and was looking ever more unlikely to ever be implemented.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by umgum View Post
    try vlc
    Already did m8 and vlc would not touch HD DVD or files ripped (using AnyDVD) to hard disk :(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3tv View Post
    thats the least of your worries, If HD-DVD doesnt have an answer to Warners announced Blu-ray exclusivity as of May 2008 then HD-DVD is doomed
    Yes but I read someone that another film company has gone HD DVD only (this may be old news and they may have reverted this decision now) but I know there is or was at some point, a film company backing HD DVD only and not blue ray. Hey Ho - Beta vs VHS all over again....

Thanks
    Id say that fight is all over bar the shouting m8,time warner is worlds biggest media company ,blueray superior format anyway,also paramount have had a change of heart on HDDVD exclusivity,,HD-DVD=betamax
    Last edited by simon 2003; 09-01-2008 at 01:13 AM.