Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: maximum dish size for chimmney stack

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question maximum dish size for chimmney stack

i am looking to get rid of my 1.2 metre dish as it is sited at the back of my house & is missing alot of the eastern sats , the easiest solution is to put a new dish on my chimmney stack , my local installer has said that 1.2m is to big , any of you guys know whats the safest dish size to go for? would 1metre be too big? , any help much appreciated!

Thanks
    ive just ordered a triax 88cm solid to replace my 80cm mesh and am wondering if ive done right as im on chimney also. the mesh dish if obviously better against the wind. ive upgraded size mainly for fox turk, but wonder whether a solid is right for up there. 8ocm has been no problem for many years

Thanks
    Don't councils impose a limit of 45cm for dishes mounted on a chimney stack ?
    If the dish is being installed on a chimney stack, it should not exceed 45cm in size, and no higher than the highest part of the stack.

Thanks

dish size

do councils have different rules for dish size on chimmney stacks , does it vary from council to council? going to check with mine trow , i know the max for on side of house without planning permission is now 1 metre

Thanks

size of dish

Quote Originally Posted by wozer View Post
    do councils have different rules for dish size on chimmney stacks , does it vary from council to council? going to check with mine trow , i know the max for on side of house without planning permission is now 1 metre
    i got tell by my council it was 88cm a im in barnsley?so if any body can tell me diffrent i would be apre thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by choks View Post
    i got tell by my council it was 88cm a im in barnsley?so if any body can tell me diffrent i would be apre thanks
    I live near Barnsley and the dish size is 1 metre, I have a 1m Funke Dish just above roof lining.

Thanks
    Hello,

Due to some high trees and my neighbours house it is looking like I will have to mount my dish on my chimney.

Due to this I am looking to use an 80cm Mesh dish. And 2 heavy duty lashing kits.

Can I also mount a motor on the lashing kit? And is there any kits people on here recomend?

Thanks
    I just did a google search for my post above and the first 4 councils that came up all said 45cm limit.

Thanks

Dish Sizes

Dwellings & Buildings under 15 metres in height

Planning permission is not needed provided that…

there will be no more than two antennas on the property overall;
    if you are installing a single antenna, it should not be more than 100cm in any linear dimension;
    if two antennas are being installed, one is not more than 100cm in any linear dimension, and the other is not more than 60cm in any linear dimension;
    the cubic capacity (volume) of the individual antenna is not more than 35 litres;
    an antenna on a chimney stack is not more than 60cm in any linear dimension; and an antenna mounted on the roof only sticks out above the roof when there is a chimney-stack. In this case, the antenna should not project more than 60cm above the highest part of the roof, or above the highest part of the chimney stack, whichever is lower;
    Dwellings & Buildings under 15 metres in height in Conservation Areas
    Planning permission is not needed provided that...

The above six bullet points are met; and

an antenna is not installed on a chimney, wall, or a roof slope which faces onto, and is visible from, a road.
    Dwellings & Buildings over 15 metres in height

there will be no more than four antennas on the building overall;
    the size of any antenna is not more than 130cm in any linear dimension;
    the cubic capacity (volume) of each individual antenna is not more than 35 litres;
    an antenna fitted onto a chimney stack is not more than 60cm in any linear dimension;
    and an antenna mounted on the roof does not stick out above the roof more than 300cm above the highest part of the roof.

Dwellings & Buildings over 15 metres in height in Conservation Areas

The above five bullet points are met; and

an antenna is not installed on a chimney, wall, or a roof slope which faces onto, and is visible from a road.
    Flats

The law is framed to discourage the occupiers of flats from installing individual dishes. A dish on most flats will need planning permission unless it is the first or second dish on the building as a whole. This is intended to prevent blocks of flats from becoming disfigured by "rashes" of satellite dishes. It may be possible to use shared antenna systems without the need for each household to install an individual antenna.

Shared antenna systems might be worth considering if:

landlords or owners have banned individual antennas;
    a shared system would be more environmentally friendly than for each home to have its own antenna; and if
    planning permission is unlikely to be granted for several antennas on a single building
    Submitting a Planning Application

Your application should be submitted on the standard planning application forms. You will also have to supply four copies of a drawing showing clearly where on the building the dish will be located.

A fee is payable when the application is submitted. The fee is not returnable if the application is refused. However, there is a right of appeal (at no cost) to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister against a refusal, and a "follow-up" application to the Council is free if it is submitted within one year of the refusal of the first application.

Application forms and fee details are available from the Planning Service.

Listed Building Consent

Whether or not planning permission is needed for your satellite dish you will need Listed Building Consent if the property is a listed building. Special application forms are available, and you should also submit plans showing exactly where on the building you wish to install the dish. No fee is payable for this application. If you are not sure whether your house is listed, please ask the Planning and Transportation Service for advice.

Council Tenants

If you are a Council tenant, you should apply for permission to install a satellite dish via your local Neighbourhood Management Service office. The telephone number is inside your rent card. This applies whether or not you need planning permission for the dish, and is separate from Planning Control, which is dealt with by the Planning and Transportation Service.

If having read this leaflet, you are still unsure as to whether you need planning permission for the installation of a satellite dish, please contact the Planning Department on the address below. In addition, we can provide you with a leaflet produced by Central Government on this same issue.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    If you ask the council whether you need planning permission for your dish and you intend to install one over 60cms, I can't imagine them saying that you do need PP, but not to bother! By asking, you commit yourself. If the dish won't be too conspicuous, and you get on well with your neighbours, consider mentioning it to them, then just going ahead. Planning officers don't go round measuring dishes on chimneys routinely (although some would if they could)! The worst that can possibly happen is that it has to come down - eventually! If it remains there for 4 yrs., you have got away with it!

Thanks

Icon7 thanks guys

thanks for all your input guys , do any of you know an installer in lancashire or the northwest of england who would put a 1 metre on my chimmney stack & take my 1.2metre channel master in part ex???

Thanks
    mines been up 10 years at least. first on an omnisat and then on a superjack motor (still working). im swopping to a motek to use tm1500ci

Thanks
    I would be very wary of mounting anything on a chimney stack - the wind loadings on a large dish can be quite considerable. Before getting it done you should have the chimney surveyed to check for structural soundness and mount the dish as low on the chimney as is practical. I wouldn't consider it unless the chimney is at least 2' square!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBadger View Post
    I would be very wary of mounting anything on a chimney stack - the wind loadings on a large dish can be quite considerable. Before getting it done you should have the chimney surveyed to check for structural soundness and mount the dish as low on the chimney as is practical. I wouldn't consider it unless the chimney is at least 2' square!
    I agree with that.

With the extreme and unpredictable weather we now seem to get in the UK, it is no longer safe to assume 'it will be ok'.

Thanks

chimmney stack size

my chimmney stack size is over 2 ft wide as it is the old terraced house type , the stonework has recently been repointed & is in good condition so if i mount my dish low then should be fine , i am looking at a 90cm would that be ok???

Thanks
    i like mine on the ground, it hasn't got far to fall then, if it does fall over.

plus the sat signal has just gone 72000 kilomteres, so whats another 20 feet! lol

unless you dont have line of sight to the sats you want of course.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wozer View Post
    my chimmney stack size is over 2 ft wide as it is the old terraced house type , the stonework has recently been repointed & is in good condition so if i mount my dish low then should be fine , i am looking at a 90cm would that be ok???
    if a old house its prob held together with black mortar and repointing it is not going to make it a lot stronger when you bolt a dish upto it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    I would think those big dishes are asking for trouble on a chimney stack , judging by the wind pressure problems I had with my triax v1.1 metre dish on a stainless steel pole bolted to my wall ( and not bolted to a chimey stack , as you should not drill into them but should use a lashing kit ) , and its now on a scaffold pole , anchored in 2 places to my house wall and rock solid ( with a new motor )

if you look here

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60102

you will see single dish options for the main eastern sats that allow 4 or 5 lnb,s on a zone 2 sly dish , and there is no reason why you cannot use an 8 way diseqc switch and run a motor to one of the inputs , and have the rest going to the single dish lnb,s , and set this up in the diseqc option in your receiver

I have a 5 year old samsung that can drive a motor from a diseqc switch input , and have had other lnb,s connected to the other inputs

so my advice is leave one at the back doing say 1 west to 45w and have a single 60cm zone 2 dish on the stack or house front doing the main eastern sats

its definitely 1 option that you should consider , depending on how many of the eastern sats you want

and dont forget that 60cm is the maximum allowed on a chimney stack ( so a zone 2 dish is 59cm )

V.I.P
    Thanks
    As stated above, a lashing kit (in fact 2 heavy duty kits spaced well apart for stability) would be necessary. A mesh dish might be adviseable, but you may not find one above 80cms. If you do have to use any bolts they must go into the stonework not the mortar. One bolt tightened ito the mortar can produce a hairline crack all the way round!

Thanks
    you've not told us how big is your chimney stack
    Ive got a 1 m dish in mine but my chimney is about
    5 ft high
    front to back about 3 ft
    side to side about 8 ft
    one of the 8 ft sides is facing due south so the chimney acts as a wind barrier had a motorized dish there for about 22 years
    never had any problems yet

you only need planning permission for any size dish on a chimney if any part of it sticks up above the apex of the roof

so providing your dish is 1 m or less and none of it is above the apex of the roof you don't need planing permission well thats in Nottingham anyway

you will need planing permission for a zone 1 sky dish on a chimney if any part is sticking above the apex of the roof
    Last edited by ABA; 05-10-2010 at 03:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast