Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The echelon 4 way zone 2, now 5 way

Thanks

The echelon 4 way zone 2, now 5 way

after seeing echelons 4 way zone 2 set up and being bored, i copied his set up, also running an old 60cm on 30w

got bored again to day, dug out a spare old lnb, and with the use of a drill grip and cable tie as a holder my zone 2 now has,

42e 28e 19e 13e and....... 4.8e

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fil For This Useful Post:

williamtell (03-09-2012)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    to do that you live south east, south of watford yeah ?LOL pilsner

Thanks
    rainham, es***

and next doors fence

it wont take much rain for the picture to go!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    If you have time tomorrow I would be interested to see a more detailed photo of the central fixing..ie @ the end of the lnb arm from the dish under the 19.2E lnb?

If you did lose signal in the rain you could easily put up a small triangular? canopy over the dish..aesthetically speaking the wife might not be pleased tho!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    its nice to know that I have inspired others to think about the issues and to expand on what I have already found with my zone 2 dishes

if more ppl thought outside the box it would mean that they helped themselves to more satellites for not a lot of dosh !!

I had to cut some of my lnb holders to get them next to each other as they arent using slim alps but sly quads !!

but if it works , thats all that counts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

simon 2003 (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    This is excellent - if only I knew more about getting the right signals etc I'd love to have a go myself for the garden.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    with slims and by cutting holders you can get 3 at 3 degree separation such as 13, 16, and 19e.
    I have that set up now, working fine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ekon View Post
    If you have time tomorrow I would be interested to see a more detailed photo of the central fixing..ie @ the end of the lnb arm from the dish under the 19.2E lnb?

If you did lose signal in the rain you could easily put up a small triangular? canopy over the dish..aesthetically speaking the wife might not be pleased tho!

Thanks
    the L shaped extension bracket looks interesting at the end of the standard arm connecting the lnb rack to the standard arm

what is it ? angle iron or something you made up ?

seems to have a bar code sticker on it too

my whole arm was replaced with rectangular aluminium from an old pair of ally step ladders

Thanks
    after seeing your original thread, I tried to source some 20 x 30 box section, looked everywhere at work, but could only find some heavy stuff,

so off to b&q and bought some L shape 20 x 30 alu, cut it to 14" in length and attached it to the original arm with more cable ties, so still very adjustable, removable , until I find something else better?

Thanks
    in my case I checked various aluminium stepladders for the box section as I couldnt find any box section the right size and cheap on google or on fleabay

luckily my mum had an old pair of ally stepladders where the legs were exactly the right size box section , so I bought her a new pair of stepladders from b+q ( think it was there as by bro actually sorted it ) and cut down the old steps by about 15 inches or so , reattached the rubber feet and use some threaded bar to replace the back bar that holds the back legs apart and steady , so I now have a shorter pair of stepladders and also had 4 lnb arms to play with too

a bit of drilling and I had longer arms of the right section to allow attachment the same as the original arm at the rear of the zone 2 dish

but your way is also a good way to do it from what I can see in the photos and that L shaped section should do the job just as well as my method , just needs a few drill holes and maybe a zip tie or a few , and allows for focussing the dish at the correct length

the drill adapter is a good idea of using existing stuff for new purposes , and zip ties are a godsend as well when messing with these sat dishes and to hold cables etc

I notice you dont seem to have had to cut the lnb holders down so that they fit closer together on the rack

and your lnb,s dont look like the thin alps so was wondering what they were too ?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    thanks for posting those extra photos fil..very interesting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    I notice you dont seem to have had to cut the lnb holders down so that they fit closer together on the rack

and your lnb,s dont look like the thin alps so was wondering what they were too ?

not had to cut anything, tho the holder are touching, the lnbs still have the large head on them, i'd love some alps, but too much £ss for me ,

tho with alps you could probably squease a few more on there? !

the make of the 4 white lnbs are Platinum II LNB 0.2 s source from an auction site 5 delivered new for under £20, the other being on the 30w 60cm, the 5 on the zone 2 was and old 0.6 thing from, the kitchen draw?

Thanks
    I have my dish pointed at 4.8e and use alps to pick up 1w, 13e and 19e.

What I have found is that the degree gap between the lnbs will get less the further you expand around the clarke belt.

For instance, if I set my dish centrally to 13e, I have enough room to sqeeze in an alps lnb for 16e before the 19e one.But once my dish is central on 4.8e, the lnbs for 13e and 19e are touching - there is no room for 16e.

Thanks
    @goran you need 3 slim LNBs such as Alps and also trim the sides of the LNB holder too in order to fit them so close together.
    Oh and a 4 way Diseqc switch.

Thanks
    AM556

Like my Triax 110 still have to put one more Alps Lnb for 9/10 east but cut not finish before dark yesterday evening.

Glenn_911

PS: Left on top my new Gregorian dish > Delta Star 1.2 <

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by munted101 View Post
    I have my dish pointed at 4.8e and use alps to pick up 1w, 13e and 19e.
    I have that set up with the addition of another lnb for 28e
    (se eng 80cm dish)

Dish is on a low flat back roof with the offset lnb's lashed onto sticks which are mounted in gravel filled flower pots with a skim of concrete over the gravel to keep the stick firmly in place. (one pot does for 13e & 19e)

If I want to experiment I can just pick up a pot and move it about a bit before fine tuning.

As i mentioned before my other dish for 30w is propped up on an upturned broom in the corner of the garden and held to the trellis by three bits of wire - been there for years.

Non of this is rocket science
    Last edited by grumpyy; 30-11-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks
    @ Glen
    It looks from the pics that your LNB arm is horizontal????
    Surely it should angle up at the left (as pictured) otherwise you're only
    picking up a small portion of the signal because the sats further east are at a lower elevaton and reflect on the dish surface at a different angle (angle of incidence = angle of reflection).

Thanks

Icon14

AM

Indeed but i'am still working on it hopefuly next weekend the job is finish ?

Glenn_911

Thanks
    Grand job Glenn, I was just getting your setup right in my head before I modify my own onto 1 arm.
    What switching are you intending?
    Oh and please clip those cable ties back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast