Thread: Placing a 36v motorised 1m dish on a semi, noisey?

Thanks

Placing a 36v motorised 1m dish on a semi, noisey?

Can anyone confirm if placing a 36v motorised 1m dish on a semi detached house to the furthest wall away from the attached neighbour to be noisey. I am about to go to a semi from a detached.

Thanks

Thanks
    Ive got mine in the middle of my house and its a semi and ive never had any complaints. Mind you i have got a raiway running at the back of my house, just dont move it to much in the early hours.

Chelseaboy

V.I.P
    Thanks
    yes they can be noisy keep the motor well greased will help using the motor late at night should be avoided

V.I.P
    Thanks
    it is possible to buy diseq jack arm but I think they only do 12inch this would move a polar mount and be silent in use

Thanks
    I've had one setup on our house for years (middle house of 3 terraced) and no one has complained -- dave

Thanks
    Put a 20 ohm 6 watt resistor in one of the motor wires at the back of the stb or V box.This will slow the actuator down and make it much quieter. Experiment with the ohms value but not the wattage and make sure the resistor is clear of drapes etc as it gets warm while the dish is moving.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Actually the motor it'self is not too bad, and you can try this if you run it when not attached to a dish assembly, but the main problem is the dish acting the same as the old fashioned horn gramaphones with the sound source being at the centre, ie the motor.

What is needed is some way of damping the the sound waves for instance applying padding at the dish rear face, I used polystyrene sheet glued on which was most effective in reducing the vibration which produces the noise.

Regards mahler

Thanks
    Filling the pole with expanding foam can help a litle bit,but don't matter what you do you will get a certain amount of noise.
    If it is on the wall furthest from your neighbour I can't see it being a nuisance,it will be more noticeable at night as there is not so much going on to distract from it.
    I used to have mine on a wall about 16 feet from my neighbour and in 10 years he never said it was noisy,if the motor is not clapped out you should be ok.-PP

V.I.P
    Thanks
    take care when running motor unattached dont let centre shaft spin it will upset motor overrun limits.pilsner

Thanks
    Wow, lots of comments. Thanks very much. I could place the dish on a ground mount as the garden is 150ft (50m) long, but I could have an issue with cable length. The motor I use is a h-h alba, but I also a new Motek Diseqc and a Cryptic motor as well. Would I be able to use any at 50m?

Satman68

Thanks
    fook the noise I need me late night fix of **** and can't resist whats on cabo when I'm checking out D+ on astra, skips over in several seconds not the minute it takes with diseq, some people are known to lose their stiffy in that much time

V.I.P
    Thanks
    50m should be ok I run that length with no problems

Thanks
    Hi I have the same problem semi- Detached bungalow just payed £200 pounds to have 1.2 meter dish installed on 2 brackets and a pole attacted to the wall. moved the dish a couple of times around midnight and neighbour angrily banged on the wall. one question does anybody have a 12 foot pole in the ground ie mud and is this possible and still have a solid dish and pole as any lower I would not have access to sky.

Many Thanks satfinder

Thanks
    Is there anyway you can get it installed down the garden away from the miserable old fart next door.
    If you upset him too much he will probably report you to the council,and then you get into a planning regulations debate.
    I would have thought the installer should have suspected that it may be a bit noisy and maybe he hasn't installed it in the most suitable place.
    Ideally, if your neighbour is that bothered about it you need to think about moving it away from the house,somewhere down the garden and screen it from his view if possible.
    Is your dish looking over your house or down the garden?,if it needs to look over the roof the further down the garden you go the less height you will need,think it is approx 2.5 times the height away from the obstruction.
    So if your roof is 12 feet high you need at least 30 feet distance.
    Or talk to him and explain that you are going to try the resistor and foam to see if it improves at all,or buy him some earplugs!!-PP
    Last edited by PLANTPOT; 09-08-2007 at 10:11 PM.