Thread: Ripping a HD DVeeDee?

Thanks

Ripping a HD DVeeDee?

HD DVD has a single-layer capacity of 15 GB and a dual-layer capacity of 30 GB, the HD DVD-RAM has a single-layer capacity of 20 GB and a dual-layer capacity of 40 GB. Like the original DVD format, the data layer of an HD DVD disc is 0.6 mm below the surface physically protecting the data layer from damage. The numerical aperture of the optical pick-up head is 0.65, compared with 0.6 for DVD. All HD DVD players are backward compatible with DVD and CD.
    Once veiwed your hooked - All the Movie houses are releasing the finest Movies on BLu-Ray + HD DVD.

PC Hardware needed: Xbox360 HD DVD Drive - Need to update firmware- A Simple google search can find this update for the drive.

More recently, a method was discovered using an HD DVD drive for an Xbox 360 to partially bypass the AACS system - you do not even need to have the encryption key to copy the disc content.

PC Software needed for the Rip:

BackupHDDVD 1.00 -
    BackupHDDVD is a tool which decrypts HD DVD files. It is not a crack for AACS as widely reported, the software merely does what any HD DVD player does.. decrypt the content with a legitimate key.
    Last edited by applematt; 05-05-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks
    Really no need to rip as all the latest titles are available now on the usal places.

The Ripped file is 5GB -->30GB in Size. Windows formatted drives dont like large files .. So your need to Defrag a lot to keep the drive fast for playback.

Select your program you like to play them - VLC for example and as long as your HD ready with your CPU+ Graphics card and you have a nice widescreen TFT your see HD on your computer.

Ive just watched Lost in HD and look's amazing. Now I dont like DVD's! once you see real HD ( I dunno if the examples in Dixons + Co now wot the *** they are doin as it looked normal playback when I saw.) BUT on my system its awesome. I only have a a 20" HP TFT Widescreen so you have to sit close and your see the amazing detail blu-ray/HD brings.

All this means is that you dont need a $1000 HD/Blue-ray disk -- but a powerfull computer and fast d/l the savings are huge and the benefits also.

Usual software/codec's for XP:

Sonic.CinePlayer.HD.DVD.Decoder.v 4.2 and the latest versions of MPC and Haali's Media Splitter.

Link --> www.megaupload.com/?d=2MSJWJTI
    Last edited by applematt; 05-05-2007 at 12:44 AM.

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    Hi M8

Backup HD DVD and the Blu-ray version rips the whole disc to your hard drive but in order to view it you had to capture the
    volume key from WinDVD once you had that you could watch the movie on any PC without having a HDCP graphics card
    and monitor

Most stuff you can download are HD DVD and Blu Ray rips normally encoded to x264/mkv, full rips are 30GB+ in size
    and have a file extension EVO (HD DVD) or M2TS (Blu Ray)

HDTV rips can be x264, Xvid or TS files

I expect if you watched a x264 rip against a HD DVD or Blu Ray you would see a big difference

TNT

Thanks
    All the rip's look the same blue / HD but x264 is better! Kinda splitting hair's thou Only VLC can play all format's thou. Ive moved back to this as its faster andmore easier to use.

Windows Media Connect 2.0 - you can stream your x264 or Xvid's to yoru TV with thi s-- anyone tried this?

___

Some good links to understand:

___http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Software_encoder_feature_co mparison
    ___http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
    ___http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264

What Disc's are available and whats coming:

___www.thelookandsoundofperfect.c om
    ___www.dvdtown.com/reviews/reviews-by-letter.php?sub-section=all&release-media=2
    ___www.dvdtown.com/hddvd/
    Last edited by applematt; 09-05-2007 at 01:06 AM.

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    Theres only two Players I use for everything "Zoom Player Pro WMV v5.00" and "The Core Media Player" both also available as freeware versions

The only two codecs I install

Xvid (Koepi's Version)

http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml

ac3 filter

http://ac3filter.net/

If you want to watch the HD stuff thats ripped to 264 you need to install a version of the H.264 codec, I just installed
    "PowerDVD Ultra" which installs their H.264 codec then they can be viewed on the above two players

Or you can use another version

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=95939

TNT

Thanks
    Just got Planet Earth HD DVD rip -- mind blowing ..... not as good as LsD but close

Thanks
    HDCP Stripper AnyDVD HD
    AnyDVD HD is a software program that allows users to rip (copy) Blu-ray and HD DVD disks to their computer hard drive. And while ripping/copying is probably the most famous and well known feature of AnyDVD HD, the playback features of the software might be even more useful. AnyDVD HD can act as an HDCP stripper, removing the requirement for you to own an HDCP compliant graphics card and HDCP compliant monitor in order to playback your Blu-ray and HD DVD disks at full resolution. Many people already own graphics cards and LCD’s that support High Definition video, but without the HDCP support. That’s where the HDCP stripper functionality of AnyDVD HD comes in handy. Let’s take a look at the product description from the Slysoft website itself:

HDCPStripperAllows you to watch movies over a digital display connection, without HDCP compliant graphics card and HDCP compliant display. No need to buy an expensive monitor. Sweet!

Playback your discs on your PC with PowerDVD Ultra, which otherwise do not run (titles released by Studio C****, The Weinstein Company, Kinowelt, Optimum Releasing)
    AnyDVD HD is the “must have” utility for the serious home theater enthusiast using a media center / home theater PC.

HDCP Stripper software
    Even the software manufacturer (Slysoft) has realized that some of the best features of AnyDVD HD are the HDCP stripper and playback features! Whether you have a media center PC, a home theater PC or you just want to watch your Blu-ray or HD DVD movies in full resolution on a standard PC monitor, AnyDVD HD could be a must have for you! Luckily, Slysoft offers a full demo version of their software for free.
    Last edited by applematt; 21-05-2007 at 02:37 PM.