Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin lnb

V.I.P
    Thanks
    echelon,
    In my theory you could have two zone 2 plain Dish face's side by side one for east the other for west with the LNB focus arm in between the two Dish face's and not on the Dish Face its self.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap View Post
    echelon,
    In my theory you could have two zone 2 plain Dish face's side by side one for east the other for west with the LNB focus arm in between the two Dish face's and not on the Dish Face its self.
    sounds feasible but I wont be testing the theory myself as I already have 2 dishes up as stated earlier and all working fine

think the point here is that I have done some testing of different uses of a sly zone 2 dish , and the idea is for others to see what can be done with a bit of imagination and tinkering. ie:- think outside the box

if what I have posted helps others with multi-lnb or monoblock setups then thats fine

anyone not interested in what I did , thats also fine by me , just ignore my ramblings

in the meantime I have 2 fixed sly zone 2 dishes with 5 lnb,s giving me 5 main satellite positions , and I am quite happy with the results and it look little expense and little effort to achieve

the pictures also clearly show the relationship between the lnb,s and the fact they are not horizontal but inclined and skewed

best wishes to anyone who get inspiration from this and seeks to duplicate or replicate what I did , and bear in mind you can use 80cm , 90cm , 100cm and 110 cm dishes for this task too ( I happened to have a few raven zone 2 dishes lying around doing nothing !! )

Thanks
    Actually mate, this has been a very informative read and as you say

'Think Outside The Box'

I have a spare 80cm steel fixed dish in the garden, I was thinking of putting it up at some point, but thought I was limited only to using a monoblock ..... this actually gives me more options and is a manageable project (no climbing up high ladders + cost ).

Thanks again

V.I.P
    Thanks
    echelon,
    I was doing more or less the same in the 80s (short of work and no money) I had got a small welder and I use to walk to the local tip or scap yard walk back with old bits of dented Dishes in those day's it was a 1.4 blue cap or white cap LNB and the only way to get two Sats that was close to one another was to use one LNB and two Dish face's,there was no internet that you could get info on how to do these things it was trail and error with a lot walking to fine tune.

What you are doing brought back memories of when I first started and how it gets you hooked.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap View Post
    echelon,
    I was doing more or less the same in the 80s (short of work and no money) I had got a small welder and I use to walk to the local tip or scap yard walk back with old bits of dented Dishes in those day's it was a 1.4 blue cap or white cap LNB and the only way to get two Sats that was close to one another was to use one LNB and two Dish face's,there was no internet that you could get info on how to do these things it was trail and error with a lot walking to fine tune.

What you are doing brought back memories of when I first started and how it gets you hooked.

no problem m8

glad it brought back memories because I too have experimented a bit in the past with various an alogue boxes , bsb squarials and dishes etc

just seems to me that most ppl stick in the comfort zone and do things all standard and then miss out on better solutions ewhere you have to do a bit of work but get a good payoff

nice to see some ppl like me and you still exist and are willing to try stuff out

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Age and Disabilities have cought up with me now so not as active as I would like to be this time of year bones and ticker.

Verified Registered User NeasdenNW10's Avatar
    Thanks

Icon14

Thanks Echelon for expanding on what initially started out as a basic set up thread. I admire your experimenting and pleased that it works OK.
    I'm rather intrigued about extending the length of lnb arms.
    When the better weather arrives, I'm like Slap old bones and ticker problems, I shall be carrying out some experimenting of my own.
    Thanks again for your input, it's got me thinking, and thanks for your superb detailed photographs.
    Regards NW10

Thanks

Dish install

Sorry but the wall bracket should be mounted at right angles to its present install, longer section should be mounted vertically and the mast short length should face down as this will fill up with water and rot from the inside!! regards mikel.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    Sorry but the wall bracket should be mounted at right angles to its present install, longer section should be mounted vertically and the mast short length should face down as this will fill up with water and rot from the inside!! regards mikel.
    I havent changed the wall mounting bracket orientation but I have taken your advice and flipped the L bar so its now pointing downwards and the dish is now much closer to the wall too due to me reversing it and having the short section pointing out and the longer section pointing downwards

I have also changed the lnb arm to a piece of 30mm by 20mm aluminium box section , and its set at 15 inches from the fixing point at rear of dish to the end of the lnb arm

I have also changed a couple of the lnb,s from skyware ones , one is now a slyplus quad lnb , and all 4 get excellent reception , and so from left to right its:---

42e , 28e , 19e , 13e , with the dish focussed onto 13e hotbird

the cables go inside the garage to an 8 way emp centauri p168 diseqc switch from italy , and a fifth input is going to another raven zone 2 dish at the rear of my property fitted with a slyplus quad lnb which is focussed and skewed onto 30 west hispasat , giving me a choice of 5 sats at the moment

this 8 way switch has a goto nn function in diseqc v1.2 and can be used the same as a motor so you adjust the switch the same way as you would a motor , ie:- the receiver thinks you have a diseqc motor connected

as well as making a longer dish arm , the lnb brackets need some sawing and filing to reduce the side sections so that they could be brought closer together for 13e and 19e , as they actually touch each other, as do the 2 lnb,s as well. the 28e lnb bracket and the one at 42e didnt need any adapting as they are spaced further out

this is now the final fixing for this dish , as all the components are now sorted out and fixed in place

Thanks
    I have toyed with the Idea of doing something with my Dishes but echelon, can you tell me the size of that dish you used.

I have 2 x 80cm dishes, one with HB and Astra and another sitting doing nothing on 1w.

Can a normal round 80cm pick up other Sat's with a multi arm and by what I read from you, you need to increase the angle up of the LNB's?

What's the cost these days of a basic motorised dish?

Thanks

Thanks
    I can tell you that the sly zone 2 dish is about 58cm high and about 78cm wide

a standard 80cm dish would do the job just as well but would cost more money , having said that the dish arm length needs altering to 15 inches on the zone 2 but should be fine on a standard 80cm dish like a triax , lenson heath , raven etc

your second dish would be better employed on 30 west like mine is

a diseqc motor is probably about £50 to £80 , and a dish probably about the same again

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    I can tell you that the sly zone 2 dish is about 58cm high and about 78cm wide

a standard 80cm dish would do the job just as well but would cost more money , having said that the dish arm length needs altering to 15 inches on the zone 2 but should be fine on a standard 80cm dish like a triax , lenson heath , raven etc

your second dish would be better employed on 30 west like mine is

a diseqc motor is probably about £50 to £80 , and a dish probably about the same again
    Thanks m8

I was just wondering about 42e as I already have a sly dish on 28e.

As for the 1w dish, well I'm one of those ones who is keep my fingers crossed if anything ever happens with 1w.

To me from the early days, 1w was the best place and I hardly watch much these days.

Is there much difference between 30w and what is on 19e?

Pity there's no Asian channels I can pick up, but I will look at a semi motor setup while we hit Spring/Summer.

I'll try and see what the brand of dishes are, as they have been up since around 1990-1994 I would say when Asianet was on 37w I think.

Thanks

Thanks
    you didnt mention having a third dish on 28e

the 80cm dish you have on hotbird and astra could probably be adapted to get 28e and 42e as well , just as mine is, by using a 4 way multi-lnb holder , especially if the lnb arm is square or rectangular and not round

so I dont see any major obstacles as you already have the correct size dish getting 2 of those 4 sats

30 west has d+ and cabo , whereas 19 east has d+ and premiere , so thats the major difference between the two

Thanks
    echelon, where did you pick up that multi lnb arm? has it got a brand name on it?

Thanks
    its the one for gilbertini dishes

cant tell you where I got it from though ( rules )

easily found in google etc

Thanks
    dam rules no worries, just out of all the ones ive been looking at yours seems best for modability

Thanks
    cant find the one you have anywhere? possible they have changed the design??

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Tap in Multi LNB Holder in your search engine.Ton's of them.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Dont s'pose anyone could pm me where I can get an EmpCentauri P168 8 into 1 diseqc switch in UK...as in Echelon's system (or another make 8 in 1). Plenty in Germany but P&P is a bit pricey...maybe the only way to go..or the USA.I have looked around but nothing much about in UK afai cansee.

Thanks
    I never found one in the uk , so had to look on the continent for one , try czech republic or italy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast