Thread: Dish Winter Conditions

Thanks

Dish Winter Conditions

If you have problems with snow / ice on the bottom quarter of your dish and you don't have easy access to it for cleaning, you might consider this:
    • when the dish is cleaned use a silicone oil spray to spray the bottom part of your dish, this should keep your dish snow / ice free for the rest of the winter. Don't forget to wash the dish in spring (dust). You could also use this on the LNB.
    • on a metallic dish you could use pipe freeze protection cable. Glue these looped to the lower back of your dish. When the signal drops, switch power on, snow and ice should melt.

pipe freeze protection cable:

Thanks
    Have these on mine, there's also a thermostat built in (just in case you forget to turn it off)

Thanks
    Using the old trusted broom sweep method
    The dish is just 10 feet above the ground

Thanks
    Thanks m8.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 395 Posts
    i was told in my begining of useing a sat dish,this was by a sky engerneer,
    get some cooking oil spray,spray the dish...snow and rain run off it,
    so after first big storm,i went and looked,,,seemed my dish had caught measles or chicken pox,fooking spottie water droplets...
    but must admit,might have been a coincidence,i got no picture break up in bad weather....

Thanks
    I'm still in doubt what would be the best?
    Silicon or Teflon spray think one off these would attract less dust when applied

Thanks
    Car wax, a good quality please
    2 x a year, before winter, and in the spring, elbow grease put in some effort to really get the wax good on the dish.

Works for me.

Before the winter, motor and bearing maintenance, grease them, check cables and if you have an actuator like me, get the spiders out

Use toothpick to clean out the de watering holes in the motor housing and arm this will leet the moisture out of the mechanics and keeps it from freezing up

Grease the actuator arm with grease that is water resistant, dont laugh, i got a gallon froma place i worked, it will not slowly dissolve in water like other greass i tried before.
    Kept my stuff working from + 35 degrees C to -18 degrees C.

Thanks
    Problem for me in North West - Oldham area - is the wind - I have 1 metre motorised dish set just above gutter line - bending the trees at the minute so wont be watching much today - just got my new TM6900 Super to play with as well.
    Guess there is not much you can do about this - I used to have an 80cm mesh years back which coped better in high winds.

Thanks
    can't you put it lower to the ground and shielded from the wind. It can work from the ground. It all depends on the distance from the object and its height! It is not always necessary to have a dish up on/to the roof as one would with a TV aerial, LNB's at arm height <= URL
    help to understand how this works could be this tool from Astra:
    Code:
    http://www.onastra.com/how-to-receive-astra/installation-assistant/index.php
    you could even install a dish this way:

details can be found here:
    Code:
    http://rick.vanrein.org/blog/satellite/platsat.2006-05-30-09-27.article

Thanks
    Giga. I didn't know you could install a dish as in your second picture, but I can see it would work.
    I think it might be a bit of a problem in winter though (snow and rain)

Thanks
    Is used to hide dishes on balconies in apartment building or flat roofs in some Arabic states where you're not allowed to watch decadent TV.