Thread: non-penetrating dish installation

Thanks

non-penetrating dish installation

I am temporarily staying with my girlfriend in her student housing until we can find our own place in lincoln. I'm planning on getting sky digital if it is at all possible, but can't be drilling holes into the place (and don't really want to since I'm moving house in a month or 2 anyway) but don't want to wait anymore for a decent selection of channels. does anyone have any recommendations for how I could go about installing the dish? I've installed dishes in the past so i know how to point them, I am just curious if anyone has any suggestions for how to mount it without drilling any holes. I have a flat coaxial cable so I can get the signal on a cable through the window. I don't have anywhere on the ground that doesn't have an obstructed view, so I won't be able to install it on a ground-mounted tripod. I am thinking maybe a board or something with some bricks to hold it down or something, and place that on the roof... ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Most dishes need fixing to some sort of structure but that doesn't mean drilling.

When I go skiing I take a 45cm dish (almost identical to a S!y minidish) and use simple "G" clamps to attach it to any suitable bit sticking out on the chalet. Fortunately most chalets have a balcony with a handrail but I have clamped to a window-sill and cable-tied to a drain-pipe. Gaffer tape can be added to stop the clamps slipping but you might need to tweak it after a strong wind. It is always worth attaching all items with a string safety line to catch them if the temporary clamping fails - don't want to nut anyone

Thanks
    can it be ground mounted
    if it can just stick a short mast in the ground and put dish on that

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ABA View Post
    can it be ground mounted
    if it can just stick a short mast in the ground and put dish on that
    This was said above - "I don't have anywhere on the ground that doesn't have an obstructed view, so I won't be able to install it on a ground-mounted tripod."

DrPaulos

Thanks
    Depending on which way your windows face you could possibly fix it inside looking through the window bolted to a chair or something.. The glass will degrade the signal but Astra 2 is strong enough that a bit of signal loss would not be the end of the world.

I think l*dl had a small dish a while back that came with suction pads etc for a window that might work for a temporary job. The caravan and camping lot have these and would have thought you can find one on an auction site.

Just a thought.