Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: True HD, not out yet!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    M8 you should go and read the sky HD faq sky broadcast in 720p and 1080i don't know anywhere that broadcast in 1080p

Also not many panels including LCD can output 1080p they except it but not output it

TNT

check the sky HD movie channel caps on usenet on your PC they are plenty of PROGRESSIVE streams and i dont mean the re encoded tat.

All plasmas and lcd screens are progressive displays. doest matter what res your material is, it gets displayed at the native res of the screen. Any interlaced material will be deinterlaced and displayed as a progressive image.
    Last edited by 3tv; 06-01-2007 at 12:07 AM.

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3tv View Post
    check the sky HD caps on usenet on your PC they are PROGRESSIVE and i dont mean the re encoded tat.

All plasmas and lcd screens are progressive. doest matter what res your material is, it gets displayed at the native res of the screen. Any interlaced material will be deinterlaced and displayed as a progressive image.
    ok M8 what ever you say I cant be bothered to argue about it

Go and post that bit of knowledge on av forums and give them a laugh

TNT

V.I.P
    Thanks
    already mentioned on plenty of forums, no need to argue about it. I dont have a sky reciever so god knows if it can output 1080p but there are plenty of 25 FPS progressive movies being broadcast on there HD movie channels also ppv HD. starwars, hide and seek, silent Hill, fantastic 4..........

i think avforums are a bit reluctant to discuss the nature of the 1080p skyHD streamed material as its considered illegal due to way said material is aquired.

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    I give up

Currently it is impossible to broadcast 1080p content as there
    is not enough bandwidth to support it !

Any 1080p on newsgroups has had pulldown (reverse telecine)
    applied its not true 1080p, you do not need to re encode
    to apply pulldown it can be done by hardware means

TNT

Thanks
    The SKY HD box doesn't support 1080p, so impossible that they would be broadcasting using it ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xanadu View Post
    From what I have seen of HDTV it's not worth the investment for the worse definition pictures you get.

I would like a HD receiver though, but just just to get all the extra channels.

Long live SD & CRT.
    You have obviously never seen a good scaler at work, or the super soft ness of an SD picture on a SD 50+" CRT projection TV.

When you have a BIG screen and an eye test( maybe some glasses too) the extra resolution will slap you round the face just like the diffrence in trying to browse the net on a sd-tv or 640X480 monitor on a pc to a pc with half decent monitor.

PS. Films by nature only arrive in 24,25 frames persecond and arrive at Sky and other europiean HD broadcasters in 1080p25 format. h.264 encoders even with 1080i encodes frames wherever possable progressivly(basicly when ever there is not much motion), therefor they encode and broadsast films progressivly and the box interlaces the signal just like DVD's. Because it's 25 frames per second of 1080P it uses the same amount of bandwidth and is easier to encode progressivly it's effectivly 1080p. but Sky and other sat boxes do not output 1080p and interlace it first! it's pretty easy to deinterlace by a decent scaler/deinterlacer in a tv to reconstruct the original 1080p picture if the source was a film.

Thats why current SKY HD and Premiere HD cap are 1080p25!!

Even HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs are encoded at 1080p24 and telecined to 1080i60 and eventualy some players will output 1080p24 or 1080p60. There is simply no 1080p50 or 1080p60 content yet.

TNT, If it where true 1080p50 content broadcast you'd be absolutly right about the bandwidth!!!
    Last edited by Ragnarok; 07-01-2007 at 07:08 PM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I give up

Currently it is impossible to broadcast 1080p content as there
    is not enough bandwidth to support it !

Any 1080p on newsgroups has had pulldown (reverse telecine)
    applied its not true 1080p, you do not need to re encode
    to apply pulldown it can be done by hardware means

TNT
    25fps material doesnt use pulldown.

IVTC can be used on some of the correctly flagged US caps that are interlaced but as film is sped up from 24fps to 25fps in Europe then its doesnt need to.

So if ya want to get the best from sky movies HD then ya need to watch it on none sky hardware
    Last edited by 3tv; 08-01-2007 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks
    how come 32" inch screens don't come with 1080p?

I've seen loads of 40"'s but never a 32"

V.I.P
    Thanks
    you would be hard pushed to notice 1080p's res over 720/768 on a screen that small is what i would say. Give it a few years and 1080p screens will all be the norm

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Well 1080i will do me IF I decide to splurge on a large screen and after checking them all out the Pioneer PDP 207 Plasma seems to be the best job around as most of the guyz in the know say avoid large screen LCDs especially for sports (F1 and Footy) . There are better spec. screens out there but after seeing most in the flesh the difference is negligible to the average eye.
    I reckon the manufacturers put all these fancy improvements on just to mug the punter with a ridiculously high price and guess what !!!! there ARE people who fall for it!! 'cause they think they have the best kit around and love to boast about it . Silly Beggars!!!!

Thanks
    42 inch samsung plasma here and i have to say im dissapointed!
    because its not being used to its full potential the picture is actualy worse than my standard widescreen!
    some channels are broadcasting absolute crap which id never noticed before!
    because of the clarity capabilities, the screen shows every implifection in the broadcast.
    i would advise people to hold on to their money untill theyre fully supported and by then the prices will have also dropped dramaticaly.
    at present the only advantages are if you have blu ray or hi def equipment.
    even with a hi def reciever theres no point if its not being broadcast!
    if you want one like me for asthetic reasons ie. to put on the wall or to save space, go for it, but dont expect a decent picture.YET!

Thanks
    720p, 1080i, 1080p ... in Japan they are testing Ultra HD Which is the Real HD ? The current 720p or 1080i HD formats are better than what we had before. And as has been said before, there are no 1080p broadcasts (at least in Europe!). Moreover 1080p only comes into its own when the TV screen is 50 inch plus.

renibacterium

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo.dr View Post
    42 inch samsung plasma here and i have to say im dissapointed!
    because its not being used to its full potential the picture is actualy worse than my standard widescreen!
    some channels are broadcasting absolute crap which id never noticed before!
    because of the clarity capabilities, the screen shows every implifection in the broadcast.
    i would advise people to hold on to their money untill theyre fully supported and by then the prices will have also dropped dramaticaly.
    at present the only advantages are if you have blu ray or hi def equipment.
    even with a hi def reciever theres no point if its not being broadcast!
    if you want one like me for asthetic reasons ie. to put on the wall or to save space, go for it, but dont expect a decent picture.YET!
    What is the point of having a HD plasma if you do not put HD signals into it? An SD signal on an HD plasma will never look as good as a CRT. But put an HD signal in and you won't want to go back to SD!

Thanks
    My widescreen 21"TFT HP does HD ..... think it was just over 100 quid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12