Thread: What is Nagravision?

Thanks

What is Nagravision?

I thought I start of by giving new comers what each encryption systems means and what is used for by certain companies. I will post in different threads to make life easier for all satellite owners or people who will one day own a satellite system. Hope this helps since I got the information from a reliable source wikipedia.

'Nagravision is a company of the Kudelski Group that develops conditional access systems for cable and satellite television. The name is also used for their main products, the Nagravision encryption systems.

Digital systems

Three versions of Nagravision are in common use for digital satellite television, known as Nagravision, Nagravision A, and Nagravision Aladin. Nagravision A and Aladin are often confused with each other. Nagravision Aladin is however, a complicated combination of Nagravision A and Mediaguard SECA 2 encryption.

The decryption unit is either integrated into a receiver, available as a conditional access module (CAM), or as one of many encryption schemes supported on a CAM emulator.

Nagravision has been adopted all over the world as a conditional access system, with providers like NTL UK and Dream Satellite TV Philippines (on Nagravision 1),and Digital+ Spain, TV Cabo Portugal, Premiere Germany, Digi TV Romania, BellExpressVu Canada and Dish Network USA (On Nagravision A). Digital+ remains the only provider using Nagravision Aladin (And also Nagravision A) after its adoption in March 2005. Despite several security flaws, algorithm changes and revisions have kept the Nagravision A system generally secure, although the common encryption game of "cat and mouse" between the conditional access providers and hackers has developed. The original Nagravision 1 is now almost obsolete after it was originally compromised in 2002, although Dream Satellite maintain relative security by changing keys several times throughout the day, causing great inconvenience to unauthorised viewers.

A n a l o g system

An older Nagravision system for scrambling ****og satellite television programmes was used in the 1990s, for example by the German pay-TV broadcaster Premiere. In this line-shuffling system, 32 lines of the PAL TV signal are temporarily stored in both the encoder and decoder, and read out in permuted order under the control of a pseudorandom number generator. A smartcard security microcontroller (in a key-shaped package) decrypts data that is transmitted during the blanking intervals of the TV signal and extracts the random seed value needed for controlling the random number generation. The system also permitted the audio signal to be scrambled by inverting its ******** at 12.5 kHz using a frequency mixer.

Like with most smartcard-based conditional access systems, the smartcards used with the ****og Nagravision system were repeatedly reverse engineered by hackers, which allowed the production of clone cards and "patched" receivers. However, the ****og Nagravision system was the first widely used cryptographically controlled conditional access system that was broken in a way that bypassed the tamper resistance of its smartcard entirely and from which no recovery was possibly by replacing all smartcards. The weakness exploited by this attack is the random seed value that is used to control the descrambling process. It is only 15 bits long and by the late 1990s, even low-cost home computers with frame grabbers were computationally powerful enough to try all 215 = 32768 possible permutations of video lines for each frame in real time. Software decoders were written that selected of this small number of possible permutations the one that maximized the similarity of neighboring image lines in the resulting image and displayed the result. The scrambling of the audio signal was not a cryptographically controlled process and can easily be undone using the same frequency mixer circuit used for scrambling.'

All right everyone this is the last of the encryption definitions posts and hope it will benefit many people on wanting to learn what these encryptions mean and their purpose as a whole.

All the best,

sstylianou1976

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sstylianou1976 For This Useful Post:

bumperbee (19-07-2014), denis147 (30-10-2015), GoldBar (16-08-2011), kadnor (02-12-2014), phil7513 (22-04-2017)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    A quick thank you once again on your last explanation of encryptions

Deja vu comes to mind here

Thanks
    excellent and informative accross all the encryptions mate, I have learned a lot more today than I have for many years in the hobby, thanks as always and keep the hot avators going mate

Thanks
    Hello Jassie glad you liked the info mate really appreciate the feedback and also you're welcome.

Regards,

sstylianou1976

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sstylianou1976 For This Useful Post:

GoldBar (16-08-2011)

Thanks
    Excellent rendition which has greatly helped to ease the confusion - thanks

V.I.P
    Thanks

Gadzooks and.....

Crumbs!!!! nag3 wont be a walk over then, will it. You didnt even mention tunnelling, dont know how the file guys ever work it out, bless 'em, I wouldnt know where to start,

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Learning For This Useful Post:

GoldBar (16-08-2011)

Thanks

Icon14 He did m8

Quote Originally Posted by Learning View Post
    Crumbs!!!! nag3 wont be a walk over then, will it. You didnt even mention tunnelling, dont know how the file guys ever work it out, bless 'em, I wouldnt know where to start,
    Nagravision Aladin is however, a complicated combination of Nagravision A and Mediaguard SECA 2 encryption.

That is commonly known as tunneling.

Cheers...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ford For This Useful Post:

GoldBar (16-08-2011)