Thread: What is Viaccess?

Thanks

What is Viaccess?

I thought I start of by giving new comers what each encryption systems means and what is used for by certain companies. I will post in different threads to make life easier for all satellite owners or people who will one day own a satellite system. Hope this helps since I got the information from a reliable source wikipedia.

'Viaccess is an encrypting system for digital television developed by France Télécom. There are four versions in use today, Viaccess PC2.3, Viaccess PC2.4, Viaccess PC2.5 and Viaccess PC2.6.

Viaccess was developed as the digital version of the EuroCrypt system used with the hybrid MAC system.

The first version is sometimes referred to as Viaccess 1, and the latter three, although different, as Viaccess 2. PC2.3 and PC2.4 are known to be ineffective, and many set-top boxes can be 'patched' to decrypt Viaccess signals without payment, however PC2.5 and PC2.6 are secure, with PC2.5 remaining secure two years after its first commercial deployment. PC2.6 was introduced at the end of 2005.

There are two modifications of Viaccess PC2.3 in use. The first, known as TPS Crypt, is used by TPS. Despite being compromised also, the TPS Crypt system has been further modified to utilise Advanced Encryption System (AES) keys. These AES keys were originally updated once daily, however after this inconvenienced unauthorised viewers little, a second TPS crypt system was introduced, by which keys are changed every 15-20 minutes, with keys being sent over TPS's internal Open TV system. This therefore meant that only TPS receivers could receive the new AES key, and not the insecure TPS subscription cards. Monitoring and *****ysing of the keys by hacking groups, however, has brought about key lists, where the AES keys have been successfully predicted. Implimentation of this procedure of automatically updating keys has proved difficult, if not impossible, to impliment on many satellite receivers, rendering the TPS Crypt AES system a general success.

The second Viaccess modification, called ThalesCrypt, is used by C a n a l Satellite France to protect its contents on the transport network to the head-ends of the cable networks; it is an over-encryption mechanism of the original protocol encryption keys.

Viaccess is currently used by a large number of providers. These include;

* TPS
    * ART
    * NTV
    * Televisa Networks
    * C a n a l Satellite France
    * ETTV
    * TBLTV
    * Home2US

Viaccess is the 3rd largest conditional access system provider in the world (in 2004).

Viaccess is also a subsidiary of France Télécom which offers pay TV and DRM enabled software.'

Regards,

sstylianou1976

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sstylianou1976 For This Useful Post:

andy gg (19-03-2014)