Thread: Reading files

V.I.P
    Thanks

Reading files

Hi Guys,
    I have an old HD which I removed from an old Dreambox. It is full of films and programmes I would like to access, and they are in the usual formats - mkv,etc. I recently bought a Dynamode HD reader but I cant get the Solo 4k or my Dreambox 8000HD to read from it - using my mac I am using a free trial extFS prog to open and offload some , but just wondered if instead of paying about £50 for the data recovery wizard there was any other way of getting either of my boxes to read directly from a usb connection to the box. Any help very gratefully received. Brain

V.I.P
    Thanks
    To get the Solo4K or DM8000 to see it, you'll need to mount the drive on both Solo4K & DM8000 receivers, using the procedure below on both boxes.

Connect the Dynamode caddy containing the old hard drive into a spare USB socket on the Solo4K or DM8000, plug the external power for the Dynamode into the mains socket.

If you already have a main internal hdd installed, you'll need to mount the Dynamode USB caddy on /dev/sdb1

You can do this by opening a Telnet window and typing

Code:
    mount /dev/sdb1 /media/usb
    You should now be able to see your files in Telnet by typing

Code:
    cd /media/usb/movie
    Then to list the contents of that folder, type
    Code:
    ls -al
    To play the media files on Solo4K or DM8000, install Media Player plugin and point Media Player to /media/usb/movie in the Media Player settings menu, to watch the media files on the Dynamode caddy.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thank you very much A-SAT - will give it a try. Much appreciated. Brain

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hi AS-AT,
    Thanks for the instructions. I mounted the HD on the solo4k - usb and power on. However all the instructions on Telnet were typed in but after several tries the telnet said that no such thing was listed. Would this be a Linux problem? Obviously neither of the other 2 commands could be put in since the mount line was not recognised. Thanks again for your help. Brain

Thanks
    Connect the usb hdd again, then reboot the receiver.
    Code:
    df
    and copy and paste what you get back from the df command to the forum, so we can see whats going on.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thankyou hda5. I followed exactly what you have said and then put in the directions from A-SAT via telnet. All is now fully working and both showing what is on the HD and happily playing them. Once more great help from you guys at the forum - thank you - I will even do another donation following my recent one, since things have been so helpful. Now I know why Satpimps is the only forum I have ever trusted guys. Thanks again - Brain

Thanks
    You're welcome! Thank you very much for the donation, very much appreciated!
    Please help support the future of the forum by making a donation. Click this link to donate, thank you. https://www.satpimps.co.uk/vbdonate.php?do=donate