Thread: What's the best box to get for sport?

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

What's the best box to get for sport?

Hi,

I have a Spiderbox 9000HD and an ***** 90cm motorised dish that i had set up at my last house.

I moved house 4 years ago and it's been in the garage gathering dust all this time. I am now keen to get it all set up again but I'm assuming the spiderbox will need replacing. It used to give me electric shocks at the best of times, so I'm happy to fork out for a new one.

What's the best option nowadays? ease of use and readily available patches are key factors.

The main use case will be Saturday football matches etc.

Any tips would be most welcome. I'm quite rusty on all this stuff nowadays.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    depends on personal knowledge and budget and if you want a bespoke box like the spider or an E2 box like a VU or Zgemma

I would say that the E2 boxes like a Vu are the best box, plus they will operate your darkmotor and dish once it is setup

an alternative may be the Hitech boxes but I have no experience with those

the basic newer version of your old 9000 is the 6000

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Adwardo (15-10-2018), hda5 (15-10-2018), jovie (14-10-2018)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Great. Thank you very much.

Budget is not a huge consideration. I don't mind spending a few quid to get the right set up. I'd happy to get a new dish too if i need to. but would obviously prefer to reuse the old one if it's still appropriate.

Ease of use is definitely a priority. Ie - how often i would need to install new patches to gain access to the channels, and how easy these are to find and install these.

With this in mind, would you still say an E2 such as Vu?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,119 Times in 687 Posts
    Vu+ boxes are awesome but require some expertise unlike Spiderboxes and HitechBoxes, which are pretty simple boxes to use and configure. You can update the patch firmware via the menu on HitechBox.

If you have experience using FTP then you’ll be able to handle the Vu+ If not, you’ll have a bit of a learning curve.

As you’ve stated ease of use is a priority, then Hitechbox HB9200 is a popular choice.

You’ll find how to guides on the forum for Hitechbox.

These are just box recommendations, bare in mind, all these boxes are free to air, don't expect to get sport straight out of the box.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hda5 For This Useful Post:

Adwardo (15-10-2018)

Thanks
    Adwardo I am still using Spiderbox 9000HD, this is still a very good box just for satellite and you can still get IKS for this receiver. Reference the shocks I have experienced this but I have put this down to the static I have built up due to the clothes material I wear, all that is happening is when I touch the receiver it earths the static. If you are setting up your dish again might be an idea to do this first on the Spiderbox 9000HD of which you know how to use. Once all up and running at no cost, if you want get a new receiver in the future you then know the dish is working well.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnhenry For This Useful Post:

Adwardo (15-10-2018), manic01 (15-10-2018)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhenry View Post
    Adwardo I am still using Spiderbox 9000HD, this is still a very good box just for satellite and you can still get IKS for this receiver. Reference the shocks I have experienced this but I have put this down to the static I have built up due to the clothes material I wear, all that is happening is when I touch the receiver it earths the static. If you are setting up your dish again might be an idea to do this first on the Spiderbox 9000HD of which you know how to use. Once all up and running at no cost, if you want get a new receiver in the future you then know the dish is working well.
    Good advice. I may as well dust it off and see if it works first. Where is the best place to find the latest patches?

Re the shocks, I'm sure it's not static from clothes. Much more likely the box earthing through us - as the unit itself does not have an earth wire on the power lead.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hda5 View Post
    Vu+ boxes are awesome but require some expertise unlike Spiderboxes and HitechBoxes, which are pretty simple boxes to use and configure. You can update the patch firmware via the menu on HitechBox.

If you have experience using FTP then you’ll be able to handle the Vu+ If not, you’ll have a bit of a learning curve.

As you’ve stated ease of use is a priority, then Hitechbox HB9200 is a popular choice.

You’ll find how to guides on the forum for Hitechbox.

These are just box recommendations, bare in mind, all these boxes are free to air, don't expect to get sport straight out of the box.
    Thanks hda5 - I am fine with FTP and stuff like that. I'm pretty technical. I am just very rusty with all this stuff and don't know where to find out what i need in order to mod the box. Obviously, what I'm interested is the Saturday games, so i need to be able to patch it. Do all of the boxes you have listed have regular updates from the community or are some more maintained than others?

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Right, I have just plugged it in and it still seems to work. So, I'm going to go with that for the time being. May as well.

What do you recommend I do to it to bring it up to date?

Thanks in advance.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Thanks @johnhenry

Right, I have just plugged it in and it still seems to work. So, I'm going to go with that for the time being. May as well.

What do you recommend I do to it to bring it up to date?

Thanks in advance.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Adwardo For This Useful Post:

johnhenry (15-10-2018)

Thanks
    Have to say it has been some time from the last update on the Spiderbox 9000 HD. Best place to check is in the section for that receiver I think there might still be updates in there from about 2014, I think this would be about the time of the last updates. Have a feeling it is labeled Files for Spiderboxes 5000/9000and 9900.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to johnhenry For This Useful Post:

Adwardo (15-10-2018)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Thanks johnhenry.

Despite the fact the update is so old, does it still work??? Will I still be able to receive the "gift" channels?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    There is no such thing as a gift, after your original subscription has finished, you pay for another.
    It's similar to using a line, except you don't need to update, your patch, with a line.
    Why not re-read the guides, get a 24 hour test line, and check out various satellites, and channels.
    https://www.satpimps.co.uk/forumdisp...Guides-amp-FAQ

Personally I updated from a Spiderbox 9000HD to a VU+ Duo 2, both bought from Goldwafers, years ago, without knowing anything about Enigma 2 receivers, and I am delighted with the options, and performance, of the VU+ receiver.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

Adwardo (15-10-2018), Aldo (15-10-2018), captainglassback (17-10-2018), johnhenry (16-10-2018), Vale (28-12-2019)