Thread: connecting 2 receivers to one motor

V.I.P
    Thanks

connecting 2 receivers to one motor

Hi Lee,
    It's a while since this thread went up but I have an old DB8000 HD and a new VU+4k solo brought from you.
    Both boxes are connected to the one dish via a twin lnb. However, while the settings on the DB allow the dish to move correctly, nothing happens with the simple/positioner/Long/lat settings as in stage one - pressing red button for goto0 does nothing other than black out screen. It does not move to 1w - come out and choose 28e and all is working channel wise after a few seconds - there is no sign of the sat turning on the screen. Is there no way of getting the dish to move from one sat to another, or does each sat need to be set up individually?
    Many thanks for any help - and the box is great - especially IPTV. Cheers - Brain[less]!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    only one receiver (the one connected via the motor) can move a dish

the second receiver connected direct to the twin output lnb is a slave only, it can only "see" the satellite that the MASTER receiver has told the dish to go to

so MASTER receiver moves the dish , the SLAVE receiver doesnt move the dish

connect an A-B switch if you want both receivers to move the motor and dish, albeit only one can do this task at any one time

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

brain (22-07-2018), hda5 (23-07-2018), Mickha (22-07-2018), tigertimtim (26-07-2018)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hi Echelon,
    Thanks for your speedy reply. I have till now always assumed that since the only connection to each receiver is via the LNB, that as you rightly say, only one box can at any time move the dish but I hadnt realised how one has become the master. Have I got another lead I dont know about from one of the boxes to the dish?I thought all drive current passed down the lnb lead. It's a long time since I joined it altogether!! probably 10-12 years ago. However - I can see - on very close looking that the motor is driven by a mains cable I had completely forgotten about !! Sorry to be such a numpty - it's amazing how quickly computer/sat things get forgotten if not in constant use - blame it on age I suppose.
    Does the A/B switch control power or switch between lnb leads. I still dont quite get my brain around this. Thanks again - Brain

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    if your motor is a diseqc/usals motor (and not a positioner) then the main box is connected to that diseqc motor using a single coaxial lead (not a mains cable). the drive current comes from the box connected to the motor , which then loops out to the lnb providing drive current for the lnb AS WELL AS THE MOTOR

SO there is another lead FROM the motor TO the lnb , if its a twin lnb then either LNB connection will work for this task

if people wish to use a second receiver whilst leaving the first one connected as above, the lead from lnb socket on the rear of the second box goes DIRECTLY to the other lnb connection (meaning it does not enter or exit the motor and has absolutely no effect on the motor) - think of this as like a driver driving a car and moving the steering wheel, whereas the passenger or passengers are passive observers and have no influence on the steering wheel - so the passengers are along for the ride and can only see what the driver sees as ALL their heads are fixed to look forward only

an A-B switch will be connected to the motor from its COMMON socket and say A connects by coaxial cable to receiver 1 and B connects by coaxial cable to receiver 2 , so its an EITHER/OR connection, depending where the switch is, meaning only one receiver connects to the motor and lnb at a time - so , it switches between receivers, not lnb leads

so if we assume your old box connects to the motor and then to the lnb by coaxial cable , that old box is controlling the motor (the driver) , which means your new box connects directly to the lnb (and so is a passenger) and therefore cannot control the motor and can only "see" what the dish is actually pointed at when selected by the "MASTER" receiver

at no time is your motor connected to the 240 volt mains as it would fry the motor and/or cause a fire

6. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

manic01 (23-07-2018)