Thread: Has digital tuning technology changed ?

V.I.P
    Thanks

Has digital tuning technology changed ?

I have a 4k LG tv which is fine and gets all channels. I have an 4 year older LG HD TV which if put on the same ariel connection does not get the channels listed below.

I have tried also with an old samsung digital tv and have the same problem .

The channels missing on both of the old tv's are :

82 Vintage Tv
    94 PBS
    101 - 105 Main HD channels ) (BBC 1&2, ITV, Channel 4, and Channel 5) in HD. They may be more but these are the ones that I have noticed.

If they are all ok on the new 4K it is obviously not the ariel. I have tried to do a over the air software update after a full factory reset on both to be told both have latest software fitted,

Any ideas ?

WAB

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    It could be the tuner in your new TV is more sensitive to weaker signals. Can you not just manually add those channels on your TV's, or use a signal booster.

Thanks
    It's not got an HD T2 Tuner in old LG TV

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to satpaul For This Useful Post:

Barney (06-07-2018), manic01 (23-06-2018), rikjaard-real (24-06-2018)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    Digital terrestrial is a weak signal, Got any trees in the way ? this time of year when they are in full leaf they block a fair bit of signal, in the winter no problem.

Just last week my HD Freeview signal broke up a few times watching the world cup, there were 3 trees in full leaf blocking the line of sight to crystal palace transmitter, last year my neighbour cut a 70 foot tree down leaving a big gap facing east, I turned the aerial to point to this gap (10 degrees out of alignment) and the signal improved a lot.

Check your plugs as well, poorly made plastic connectors (not metal) need soldering for the best chance of having a good signal.
    Last edited by TonyO; 23-06-2018 at 10:45 AM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the posts

I just going to accept that it aint working LOL

I will change my ariel in the near future as it is still the old analogue one from about 25 years ago so an ugrade will not hurt.

I still think I wont get the missing channels on though despite having a clear line of signal. Such is life and the advance of technology.

WAB

Thanks
    Thanked 4,249 Times in 2,030 Posts
    Solution Buy Digital Freeview Box with T2 Tuner

as posted by Satpaul
    It's not got an HD T2 Tuner in old LG TV
    maybe you did not read/understand that post ?
    i have old Sony TV which has same issues , i bought a really cheap T2 Freeview box and problem was solved : )

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Barney For This Useful Post:

satpaul (07-07-2018)

Thanks
    you are still usesing an old analogue aerial and no doubt the old brown analogue coax and you wonder why it aint working
    go get a wide band aerial and good quality coax like wf 100 all copper please don't get rg 6 this is what most aerial fitters use
    and it is **** copper center with tin braid and tin foil I wont touch it with a barge pole ive been fitting aerials of all things tvs, radio, cbs , amiture radios , taxis , and satellite dishes for about 36 years
    with old analogue aerials then are split in to 3 band widths group A bottom 1/3 of the band width group B middle third of the band width and group CD the top third of the band width there is no such thing as a digital aerial only a wide band aerial that covers the whole band width and line it up with a meter if you aint got a meter just use the built in to the tv

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ABA For This Useful Post:

sonic1 (07-07-2018)