Thread: First time ive seen a fox cub out midday.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts

First time ive seen a fox cub out midday.

This was a bit of waste ground center of town at 1 pm .
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

mrdude (16-06-2018), sonic1 (04-07-2018)

Thanks
    They can be seen 24/7 but more often it will be during darkness.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    I've see them quite often in the daytime, I live a stones throw from the country so see foxes all the time - most of the time at night though. Also see quite a few deer & the odd badger. Even sometimes near the river beside my house I'll see otters.

When I was younger I used to see hedgehogs all the time, and butterflies - but there seems to be a lot less of them nowadays - same thing with Bees. I blame farmers and pesticides, but most likely some eco warrior will tell you it's because of global warming - which is a lot of crap if you ask me.

Also if you see a bee on the ground that looks like it's dying - it's most likely just tired, put some sugar in some water in a teaspoon and the bee will drink it and have enough energy to fly back to it's hive.
    Last edited by mrdude; 16-06-2018 at 07:08 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

manic01 (17-06-2018)

Thanks
    Going by the amount litter there is, the fox doesn't seem to be the only feral thing in the area.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Satcat For This Useful Post:

cosworth4x4 (18-06-2018), dog-man (17-06-2018)

Thanks
    Yep its disgusting there , it gets cleaned up and lazy scruffy gits just throw their rubbish out the car windows.

Its not too hard to take it home or walk back and put it in the bin.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,239 Posts
    This grass snake moved quite fast from a wooded area to high grass. About 2 foot long.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to traveller For This Useful Post:

cosworth4x4 (18-06-2018)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by traveller View Post
    This grass snake moved quite fast from a wooded area to high grass. About 2 foot long.
    F*$K going camping and waking up in your sleeping bag with that thing cuddled up beside you - I'd have a heart attack. Snakes don't bother me when you see them in a pet shop or zoo, but those wild ones that you're not expecting to see don't half make you jump.

Thanks
    Grass snake is harmless its the adders you need to be careful with.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth4x4 View Post
    Grass snake is harmless its the adders you need to be careful with.
    Yep - don't fancy waking up next to one of those either.

I was in the Army, and did a tour in Belize for 6 months. I used to go shooting sometimes in this place called Orange walk - it was mostly farmland/jungle and lots of those crazy Amish/Mennonites types, but they were OK with you shooting on the land. Anyway Belize has a snake called a Fer-de-lance, which is a nastly little bugger, I saw some Black bloke who had been bitten by one, (he was dead) - anyway some locals were carrying him in a blanket & when I asked what had happened they told me that one of those snakes had bitten him. Now I'm not very squeamish - but this black guy was a kind of white/yellow/black colour (not what I was expecting to see that day). Now I give snakes a wide berth - I hear it's an agonising death to be killed by one - I don't fancy testing that theory out. Also I'm no snake expert and wouldn't know the difference between an escaped exotic pet and native species.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,239 Posts
    Should have said that it was while I was taking a group of National Trust visitors out on an Arable Farm Walk. A couple of the group jumped out of their skins. I just thought what an incredible creature with all those markings.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    On Monday at the end of my road was a dead munkjak dear, probably hit by car, I'm in the suburbs near Kempton Race Course, never seen a deer anywhere near here, lots goes on in the dead of night, deer follow rivers and railway tracks which are overgrown into towns and cities.
    Last edited by TonyO; 20-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks
    wow, I`ve never seen foxes so close.
    Well, it looks quite young, maybe it does not yet know that it's dangerous to be around people.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
    On Monday at the end of my road was a dead munkjak dear, probably hit by car, I'm in the suburbs near Kempton Race Course, never seen a deer anywhere near here, lots goes on in the dead of night, deer follow rivers and railway tracks which are overgrown into towns and cities.
    Doesn't look like it has been dead for long - if that was me that found that - it would be in my freezer by now :-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    Doesn't look like it has been dead for long - if that was me that found that - it would be in my freezer by now :-)
    Looks as stiff as a board too me

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth4x4 View Post
    Looks as stiff as a board too me
    Yep, that's what happens after death - rigor mortis. All the beef - you buy from the shops has been left to hang for about a week or so at least, rigor mortis stage happens, then goes away and the meat becomes more tender. Unless the meat has started rotting - it's pretty safe to eat - although I would cook it first to kill off bacteria. Still deer is pretty tasty and pretty expensive to buy.

My uncle was telling me that he found a deer someone had run over one - it was still alive so he decided to try and bash it's head in with a wheel brace, he boshed it around the head a few times but it wouldn't die - so he tried strangling it - to no good effect. Those deer are hardy buggers indeed. Ended up the police turned up and put it out it's misery. Personally if he'd phone me, I'd have been up there with a saw - cutting it's legs off and chucking it in my boot.

Here's a diagram of what bits of meat are what:
    Code:
    http://www.wideopenspaces.com/cuts-of-venison-illustrated-guide/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

cosworth4x4 (05-07-2018)

Thanks
    You are a gory lot on this site!!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to steviejb For This Useful Post:

cosworth4x4 (06-07-2018)