Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i pick up 19.2 on sky mini dish

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

can i pick up 19.2 on sky mini dish

hi i have a sky mini dish which has been on the house for maybe 10 years or more and i want to move it to astra 19.2e is this possible. if so what would i need to find it and is it hard to do. any help much appreciated thanks in advance.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi yes you should be able to get 19e on a sky mini dish. I can also work out how far you dish needs to be rotated and how much the dish need to be pushed upwards. What I need to do this is

1) your location nearest town
    2) The cir***ference of the mounting bar the dish is mounted on
    3) Does your dish have a graduated scale to show the vertical dish angle?

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    hi mate thanks for reply i have ordered a digtal sat finder but never used one before could you tell me the steps to find astra 19.2. also what type of cable do i need to connect lnb to sat finder thanks

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Just a normal piece of co-ax cable, same as runs from the LNB to receiver, and two F connectors.
    You connect a small piece of cable, from the LNB, to the Satfinder port marked LNB, then the longer piece from the satfinder receiver port to your receiver.
    What make/model satfinder have you bought? Even a basic one, for less than £10, will work.
    Use dishpointer.com to help give you a general idea where to point your dish, type in your postcode, select Astra 1, 19.2E, from the drod down satellite list, zoom in on the map, and move the green icon to where your dish is positioned.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

echelon (31-03-2018)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    Sty lnb's have a fixed skew adjustment which needs to be got rid of, its usually a plastic locator which can be filed off, its about 5 or 6 degrees clockwise, you only need a couple of degrees for 19E or none just about.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

echelon (31-03-2018)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    I'd be inclined to pickup a monoblock only £16 at a certain retailers closing down sale and pull in 13E as well.

I had my old analogue dish pointing at 19.2 and that's all I did pull both SATS in fine in the west midlands area.

Regards.

CUK.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi is there a video or do you have a picture of what needs filing off. I have ordered a v8 satelite finder

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    You didn't need anything so expensive, to set up a fixed dish, a simple satellite finder, available in local DIY stores, should suffice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

echelon (31-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzer12 View Post
    Hi is there a video or do you have a picture of what needs filing off. I have ordered a v8 satelite finder
    there are several versions of the lnb and lnb holder so without seeing it its difficult to say which type you have and where any lugs are to be filed off

what I can say is that they sit between the lnb holder and the neck of the lnb itself, so the lnb + holder need removing and dismantling before any adapting can take place

the dish discussions forum and lnb discussions forum on here have information and pictures of various adaptations of sly dishes

the monoblock idea is unlikely to work on a sly 39cm mini dish and I had to extend the lnb arm on a sly zone 2 59cm dish in order for a monoblock or lnb rack system to work

a zone 2 sly dish with adapted lnb will work fine on 13e or 19e or 30w , as well as on others like 39e and 23.5e etc

13. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Mickha (31-03-2018)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi I got a monoblock but I don't think the clamp will go round it looking at it i have a sky quad lnb on it at the minute is there anything I can do thanks

Thanks
    fitting a monoblock may be difficult

as I said earlier , so will repeat, the various designs of dish , dish arms , lnbs and lnb clamps mean it all depends on the make and manufacturer of the one you currently have

there have been numerous variations by sly, so impossible to predict what you can do with your lnb and lnb clamp holder without seeing the make and type and pictures of it removed from the actual lnb clamp holder

the lugs referred to earlier will be obvious when they are separated

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi I got a monoblock but I don't think the clamp will go round it looking at it i have a sky quad lnb on it at the minute is there anything I can do thanks
    Sorry forgot I used an adapter try googling "sky dish lnb adapter" seems to be a selection from a well known bidding site or Amazooone . I think I got mine from the closing down electrical retailer originally but they don't seem to be carrying them at the moment.

As Ech says though there are about 4 or 5 different types so all I can suggest you photograph yours and compare or post for additional help.

I did try the modification but I found my lnb holder had gone so hard a brittle it was easier to pick another one up. So I decided to get away from the proprietary Sly type of LNB.
    Last edited by chariotuk; 31-03-2018 at 07:08 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to chariotuk For This Useful Post:

echelon (31-03-2018)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi my lnb is this one
    Code:
    _https://m.****.co.uk/itm/Sky-MK4-LNB-Single-HD-for-Sky-HD-Freesat-HD-1-FREE-F-CONNECTOR/151576539337?hash=item234aaa70c9:g:HQ8AAOSwBahUz9~1

How would I modify this to get 19.2e thanks

Thanks
    take the lnb out of the holder by undoing the bolt with a cross head screwdriver

where it clamps around the neck of the lnb , look for two H shaped plastic lugs sticking out slightly , opposite each other on the lnb itself (on the narrower neck part)

take a file and file them flat so that the lnb will spin all the way round in the holder when reassembled but not fully tightened

then set the skew of the lnb so that the wires willl point straight down if the dish was horizontal and tighten the bolt on the holder up fully

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    hi is the skew the plastic bit that hangs down from the clamp. thanks

no links allowed - please read the rules again - by admin

Thanks
    hi is the skew the plastic bit that hangs down from the clamp. thanks
    NO, the skew is where it sits in the holder itself, as it could be at 90 degrees , 120 degrees , 180 degrees etc

you refit it so that it is at 0 degrees meaning the wires are in the 6 o`clock position and point straight down when the dish is horizontal

anything other than ZERO degrees means it is skewed by a certain angle

sly dishes and/or LNB`s are skewed in a similar way to if you put one of your ears on your shoulder , like the way dogs sometimes look at you with their heads tilted to one side

22. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

saintomer1866 (31-03-2018)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    thanks so if i do that is it just a case of trying to find astra 19 then. also i have a v8 freesat sat finder but i am not sure what i need to do to sca ini a satelite like what i need to set for lnb type diseq etc thanks

Thanks
    on a single fixed dish pointed at 19e you would select

Configuration Mode = simple
    Mode = single
    Satellite = astra 1KR/1L/1M/1N (19.2E)
    Send diseqc = no

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    hi so what would i need if i wanted to fit the monoblock. my sky mini dish is 47cm thanks

Thanks
    if you wanted 13e and 19e then as follows

Configuration Mode = simple
    Mode = Diseqc A/B
    Port A = Astra 1KR/1L/1M/1N (19.2E)
    Port B = Eutelsat Hot Bird 13B/13C/13E (13.0E)
    Set voltage and 22Khz = Yes
    Send diseqc only on satellite change = no (or might be yes , I am not sure on this one)

I believe you would have to change the lnb arm for a much longer one , possibly twice as long as the original one , which you would have to make yourself from suitable metalwork (such as joining 2 arms together) , details in those dish and lnb forums in the sticky threads

your monoblock is designed to work on an 80cm dish (or bigger)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast