Thread: Moving my 1.2m dish. ie driving it!

Thanks

Moving my 1.2m dish. ie driving it!

Hello Folks. Want to get my sat system back up and running but am struggling with terminology prior to buying!! My dish is an old 1.2. Think that it is called 36v as goes back to Chaparal Monteray days! Having upgraded receivers many times, (with the advent of digital TV!), I ended up using a Spider 6000 BUT moving the dish with an old digital/ analogue Echostar. The Echostar 3000ip eventually packed up so dish is stuck at 13E. (I don't know for sure but feel fairly certain that it is not a problem at dish end). I am suspecting an Echostar power supply issue. I have researched Echostar repairs and 'positioners' but got confused over parts at the dish end v a box in the lounge! Lee has a positioner but that looks like dish end. Am relaxed about prices, (given the incredible 'value for money' that I have received over the years from my dish and Echostar!!), so am happy to pay for a top quality product. Any suggestions will be most welcome!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    What 36v Motor is it? Does it have 4 wires, coming from it, to the old Echostar receiver?
    If so, and it's still working, then all you require is a V-BoxII, to send Diseqc 1.2 commands, from your new receiver, to your motor.
    You can quickly test your motor by connecting a 12v battery to the M= M- wires and seeing if the motor moves.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

echelon (28-03-2018)

Thanks
    as mickha says try the motor on a 12 volt battery but make sure it is the 2 wires that go to the motor if you use the wire that goes to the reed switch or earth you will blow the reed switch you can also get 36 volt manual switch for actuators they are about 4 inch square and 2 inch thick with a 2 way switch in the middle

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ABA For This Useful Post:

echelon (28-03-2018)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by captainglassback View Post
    Hello Folks. Want to get my sat system back up and running but am struggling with terminology prior to buying!! My dish is an old 1.2. Think that it is called 36v as goes back to Chaparal Monteray days! Having upgraded receivers many times, (with the advent of digital TV!), I ended up using a Spider 6000 BUT moving the dish with an old digital/ analogue Echostar. The Echostar 3000ip eventually packed up so dish is stuck at 13E. (I don't know for sure but feel fairly certain that it is not a problem at dish end). I am suspecting an Echostar power supply issue. I have researched Echostar repairs and 'positioners' but got confused over parts at the dish end v a box in the lounge! Lee has a positioner but that looks like dish end. Am relaxed about prices, (given the incredible 'value for money' that I have received over the years from my dish and Echostar!!), so am happy to pay for a top quality product. Any suggestions will be most welcome!
    I have some old stock manhattan 550st 36v receivers here also 1 technomate sat receiver with the 36v actuator control you need pm me don't need any money for them but you would need to pick them up also have a quality 1.2m dish offset free to anyone who needs wants it

Thanks
    Thank you all. 4 wires. (2 thicker ones : blue and brown. I think I know what those are!!!! 2 much thinner ones, 1 yellow, 1 lime green).

Thanks
    the thick ones are the ones you put the battery accross

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

echelon (28-03-2018)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    If you look around you can still buy a new 36v stand alone positioner for an actuator for under £40, you can use it on its own or use diseq to operate the dish.
    Last edited by TonyO; 29-03-2018 at 11:52 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

echelon (28-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    this ongoing thread https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...ma-star2s-help is also discussing moving these types of dish and motors using items like a vbox and old echostars etc , it might help as well

there is no reason why a spiderbox 6000 or similar usals/diseqc v1.2 box cannot be used in conjunction with a vbox or old echostar etc to drive these types of motors and offset dishes

personally, I have no knowledge about them as all of mine have been diseqc v1.2 and/or usals types of motors , including my current darkmotor (previously had a technomate and stab motors)

good luck with your actuator type system because if you get it going its probably more reliable and less prone to move in the wind

13. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

captainglassback (29-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts
    All you need is the v-box and any of the new type receivers and you will not need to touch anything on the dish.

And it will all work perfect from just the sat receiver once set up.

My set up 36v act, 1.2 channel master, v-box and vu+ receiver.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

echelon (29-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thank you all. Have also now read the ZGemma thread. Managed to find a V Box 'in stock' so will use that 'stand alone' as have no desire to move dish using a sat receiver. Doubtless I will be back once I have started messing with it!!! Again many thanks to all.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to captainglassback For This Useful Post:

echelon (29-03-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE.MADDISON View Post
    the thick ones are the ones you put the battery accross
    it should be but check at motor end to make sure first

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ABA For This Useful Post:

echelon (29-03-2018)