Thread: receiver recommendations?

Hybrid View

Thanks

receiver recommendations?

Firstly, A happy and peaceful new year to all of you!

I want to buy a new receiver to go with my new dish and motor. I have a 'dead' sb 9000HD which was working fine until I probably scanned too many channels and in an effort to factory reset etc I now have a box where everything is now fine, . . .except the V*siks key will not connect! so only FTA available :(
    I then decided to get a new box and start from scratch and bought a 6000HD. It worked and accepted the code but the manual was as good as useless. Thanks to kind members on here (Echelon/Aldo and others) I got some of the basics and was getting to grips with it. . . .before I probably scanned too many channels and it stuck in a green/red light start up phase and was unusable. Fortunately, I got it overnight from ****** and it is now packed up again with a no questions asked refund.
    So I still need a box . . . and option 1 is another 6000hd as I was getting used to it and realize that when I use a channel list, I have no idea how many channels are already loaded and I have to be careful I don't overload. I think another would be fine!
    So before I go for a new 6000 (and bother everyone on here with 'how to' questions!!) can anyone suggest an alternative that I may consider with the following attributes;

1.I want to use my V*siks I*S key so It needs to have a patch and take the key. (I will load my own tp's)
    2.It would be good if it has hd quality channels (for sports etc).
    3.My 9000 had a 'through' capability so my aerial went in and both tv and sat went back out to my tv set via a standard aerial connection. The 6000 doesn't seen to do this.
    4.It needs to be near muppet proof as I appear to be hopeless at sorting things out without asking questions and the 6000 manual was very vague!
    5. Ideally around the £100 mark as I am a hobbyist and not a true enthusiast!

Sorry for the long winded thread and if anyone can be bothered to read and reply, I thank you very much in advance

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi First of all happy New Year to you and your family and everyone on this forum.. Problem with the 6000HD box is that it has a known bug that when deleting unwanted sats and channels can cause problems with memory loss...which is why occassionally you get the continuos reboot fault. To rectify this you need to reflash the box using the RS232 and pc method to restore the memory. I agree the manual is not very user friendly. Despite all this its still a very good box for what you pay. As you have a motorized dish then you should be able to pick up loads of channels from different sats. It has IPTV functions which can be very useful ,i use it a lot to create my own lists. It has the IKS/Mscam/CCCam options . You need to remember that you can only have maximum of 6000 channels(tv and radio) . I personally would try to avoid other people channel list and create your own as you go along. In my opinion you cannot go wrong with this box..i have many friends and family members who have this box and are very happy with it. Regards

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KARABANGA For This Useful Post:

echelon (02-01-2018), Tombat (01-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanx Karabanga, I have every intention of only adding the channels that I will need and thus avoid the problems I had in the past. Re-flashing sounds beyond me but the old box is being returned so a brand new one would not be a victim of my incompetence!
    Best Regards

Thanks
    Right!!! gonna try the hd6000 again! so I need in my mind a sequence to setting up. I am thinking as follows;
    1. add my lat/long as a starter.
    2. add a satellite. Do I do these one at a time or is there a 'search' option for all active sats?
    3. add the tp's I want to a single satellite. Do I then delete any unwanted programs that it brings in or leave them (so as not to upset/confuse the box?)
    4. add the required patch and key. Is this the correct stage?

any help once again is gratefully accepted!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    You could try reading the setup info included in the following thread:

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...iderbox-6000HD

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

echelon (02-01-2018), KARABANGA (01-01-2018), Tombat (02-01-2018)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi i would personally start by setting up the box first and do the motor at the end once you know your way round the menus etc. If you already have a satellite to point to then scan it in and see if channels are ok. I would then take out the satellite cable and concentrate on patching the box and get it ready for the internet. You need to make sure you have correct patch for the key you will be using ie IKS or Mscam. When you have done this the box will reboot and load correct menu/software for IKS or Mscam. Then go into Network menus to connect to wifi or wired connection. When connected then go into IKS/Mscam option and enter your key and apply. If key is valid you will see either expiry date(IKS) or number of days for Mscam. At this point you can also load the default IPTV channels to test if internet is connected..ie press IPTV and then blue button to update channels list. Once you are happy with the internet side of things then put satellite cable back in and concentrate on finding the sats that you want. When using the motor there are number of ways of doing it...its not difficult but requires attention and time along the way. If possible try and use the USALS method ie the auto move rather than the 1.2 manual method. The USALS requires your location latutide and longitude figures.. for London is use 51.5North for latitude and 00.1 West for longitude. For USALS it requires you to send dish to a satellite ie Hotbird and then you need make sure that dish is pointing to Hotbird otherwise sats will be out of sync. I have installed quite a nmber of motors on this box and it works really well when set up properly.. If you get stuck with USALS then use the 1.2 (Position) setting to manually find sats and store them. You may find that you get stuck so ask for help. Regards

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombat View Post
    can anyone suggest an alternative that I may consider with the following attributes;

3.My 9000 had a 'through' capability so my aerial went in and both tv and sat went back out to my tv set via a standard aerial connection. The 6000 doesn't seen to do this.
    very few , IF ANY modern boxes do this

over a decade ago it was standard on many boxes that they contained an internal RF MODULATOR that allowed an an*logue RF signal to be sent along with the free to air freeview and an*logue channels into a tv that could "tune in" to those an*logue channels

modern tv,s do not have the ability to tune in an*logue channels, only digital ones, and so set top boxes have evolved into sending old type scart to scart and the newer HDMI signals from dedicated sockets

so I doubt that anything like the 9000 exists any more because things have moved on in this digital age

also, those older boxes cost a lot more than a spiderbox 6000 , so along with the price drops have come economy of scale with less additional services and components

your old 9000 spiderbox could handle something like 9999 tv and radio channels in its memory stash, a spiderbox 6000 can only accept 6000 tv and radio channels

all your blind scanning does is fill the box with dross and you might not even want radio channels to be scanned in , but they all count

the 6000 can hold a lot less transponders than the older 9000 too, so stop trying to put a quart of lager into a pint pot is the best advice people can give you

and I for one have NEVER advocated blind scanning with any box

scan in what you want, or find an up to date channel list , use it , remove what you dont want and be left with what you do want by careful editing

if you keep breaking these simple rules, on any box , you are likely to have to reprogram it same as your returned 6000 needs doing

you need to remember that when you reprogram a new item, you may invalidate the warranty

the CRA2015 does not cover a new owner from damaging their new goods , only from a manufacturing defect

10. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Tombat (03-01-2018)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi How can a blind scan invalidate your warranty. do you not understand what a blind scan means. It will tune in frequencies that even ********* and others dont know about. How are you actually going to tune in all the channels then. You cant tell me that you will enter each TP manually and then tune it. Also whether you use blind scan or manual you will still get the so called dross anyway..there are people who may want the dross...The blind scan is one of the best function of modern receivers..it will aslo find feeds that normal scans may never find. Surely you must know that professional feed hunters use blind scans all the time.. Also regarding analogue receivers the TM F3/5 and TM5402 still have the analogue connections if you need them. Regards

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KARABANGA For This Useful Post:

Tombat (03-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thank you all for your very informative input!
    Re. my old hd6000. .. .I loaded someone else's channel list so didn't really know haw many where stored before I started. To be totally honest . . I didn't truly understand 'blind scan' and I know I hit the scan button on at least 2 satellites which probably/certainly loaded the box too much.
    I will only likely ever use maybe 200 tp's anyway so it will not be a problem setting one by one. My new hd6000 is due today so I will not use anyone else's list but will put in my own tp's and any unwanted channels that come in I will delete.
    I hope not to bother you again but once again, many thanks and best regards

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tombat For This Useful Post:

echelon (03-01-2018)

Thanks
    at NO TIME did I indicate that blind scanning would invalidate anyone`s warranty

a total fiction by the poster above who needs to be very careful in their accusations

my point was that reprogramming a new box with third party software could invalidate your warranty with both the retailer and with the manufacturer , same as if you use a jailbreak type program on a new apple iphone or on a new android tablet or phone

new goods should be kept in the same condition as when bought so that if they are returned for a fault it complies with the old sale of goods act which is now the CRA2015

user error in using a new product can also invalidate any warranty , be it driving a vehicle so badly that you break the gearbox due to not using the clutch etc , and especially where third party software has been used , so no "chipping" an ECU for example

if a retailer was to receive a new product back (or a manufaturer) and find it had been interfered with (or misused or reprogrammed) then this can and does invalidate the warranty - no question about it

if a product has been supplied as new with the blindscan facility already onboard then clearly that is not a misuse of the product

I have been using satellite receivers for over 20 years and not once have I used the blindscan facility , it is of no use to me but I accept that feed hunters use it for advanced purposes etc

blinscanning one or two or three satellite positions is not going to overfill any box and certainly not a spiderbox 6000

but anyone who has already loaded somebody elses channel list and then starts to blindscan satellite positions ON TOP OF THIS INSTALLED CHANNEL LIST is clearly in danger of overfilling the box and then having problems with the box, like seems to have happened with the 6000 that tombat has returned to the dealer

in all probability all that returned box needed was reprogramming with the fix tool, as I told tombat to do in his other thread

this would have effectively factory reset the box , then he could have started again

tombat has clearly demonstrated he does not know enough about this subject, which is probably why he has caused the returned box to fail

people learn from mistakes , we all do , this is how we eventually get to the expertise we hold so dear

so to tombat , you may post about your problems on here , previously and in the future, but you have to be prepared to listen to constructive criticism and to accept your failings and learn from your mistakes and not try to resurrect the past like asking about previous boxes that cost something like 3 or 4 times what a spiderbox 6000 costs - the old and new boxes may share the same name of spiderbox but are not alike and you should treat them completely differently , like going from a ten year old ford focus 2 litre ST 4 door sport to a brand new ford fiesta 2 door 1100 cc hatchback

and even if you bought a receiver with an an*logue rf output , there is no guarantee that your TV will tune it in because modern tv sets tend to not include an an*logue tuner any more and so cannot tune in this an*logue rf channel

so to reiterate

I believe tombat "broke" his returned box due to ignorance of this topic, and that all it needed was to be factory reset by reprogramming it with the special FIX tool obtained from this forum using a windows pc and following the instructions

I never said that blind scanning would invalidate anyones warranty, that was an incorrect accusation and a total lie and is one reason that people can get a forum ban so people need to stick to making useful remarks in their replies but not derogatory and unwarranted remarks about any replies by another poster (ie:- stick to the facts of the case)

I said

you need to remember that when you reprogram a new item, you may invalidate the warranty

the CRA2015 does not cover a new owner from damaging their new goods , only from a manufacturing defect
    if you do not learn from previous mistakes, you are destined to repeat them

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (03-01-2018), cosworth4x4 (03-01-2018), sonic1 (03-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Lol i learn that one the hard way bought a dream-box from Holland saved myself a few £££ , updated and killed it first month i think it cost me over £30 to send it back insured as i didn't want to risk the loss , never bought outside of uk again .

Im sure KARABANGA will apologize when he comes online for not reading the post correctly.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

echelon (03-01-2018)

Thanks
    Gulp! have I started something I didn't intend to???. . . I'm afraid my lack of knowledge on consumer rights is only matched by my incompetence in setting up 6000 boxes!
    As I have stated. . .I am no sort of expert to these things. The reprogramming with the fix tool which was suggested would no doubt work but as I read the details I felt that this was beyond my capability and I took advantage of a 7 day money back no quibble deal . . .but I feel very guilty now
    I even had to look up what iptv channels are as Karabanga suggested and I'm still not sure but. . .I will learn
    Thank you all for your kind support and I intend to spend a few hours over the weekend setting up the new box.
    I understand all that everyone has advised but can't help being a bit annoyed at the scant instructions that come with the package. If you guys had written the set up manual. . . (as I have now been advised by the forum), I think I would probably have learnt without bothering you much but it is good to know this kind of support is available and best regards to you all

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tombat For This Useful Post:

echelon (04-01-2018)

Thanks
    Hi Tomcat,

I need a 9000HD for parts are you happy to recycle it to me?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SLB007 For This Useful Post:

Tombat (05-01-2018)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    and I for one have NEVER advocated blind scanning with any box

scan in what you want, or find an up to date channel list , use it , remove what you dont want and be left with what you do want by careful editing

if you keep breaking these simple rules, on any box , you are likely to have to reprogram it same as your returned 6000 needs doing

Hi Confusion has been caused by the fact you mentioned that blind scanning was a not a good idea as it may lead to reprogramming of the box which may invalidate your warranty. You did not mention anything about third part software ..please point this out to me if you can. The reality is as you know yourself that all our boxes are out of warranty from the moment we load third party software for whatever reason. The blind scan itself does not cause any warranty to be invalidated. As for other people channel lists have you ever wondered how those lists are created in the first place and what happens when those lists have channels missing??? In my opinion its always best to create your own channel list . Also you fail to mention why do they give you the blind scan option ? If you dont like blind scans fine but dont deny it to others.

Happy New Year.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to KARABANGA For This Useful Post:

Tombat (05-01-2018)

Thanks
    @ karabanga

you need to read what I actually said and stop being so argumentative because that post above does not look like an apology

my points were made to the OP about these issues and that certain issues can arise when reprogramming a new box, which you mentioned above

I was replying to the fact that this person has no idea what he is doing when he chooses to blindscan having already loaded somebody elses channel list , nor what he is actually doing when he loads a third party patch onto a spiderbox

clearly you took it that I meant that blind scanning would invalidate the warranty, despite the fact that I never said anything of the sort (but it was this act on top of a loaded channel list that is the likely cause of his now returned box to have failed with the alternating red and green lights)

if you cannot be civil to other members here then cancel your membership, because if I catch you talking down to people like your posts above once more I will personally ban your membership here

I have never stopped anyone from blind scanning , but I do think that only experienced members and owners should use it and I shall continue to warn inexperienced people against using it , which is my right to do

you are a newbie here (whereas I have been here for well over a decade), so you need to rein in your unwarranted comments on public forums and stick to helping the people who have asked questions

the real question is "who the **** do you think you are talking to ??"

at no time was I going to try to educate tombat over blind scanning or other issues, merely to point out a few caveats without it turning into war and peace because he is nowhere near the advanced stages that we are talking about

I am closing this thread and will be monitoring your posts on here from now on because I do not like your attitude , so keep comments about other members to yourself , or you wont be posting any more comments on here at all

happy new year to you too

now practice what you preach, show some goodwill and keep your sharp tongue in check from now on

from now on your posts will be monitored and any further nasty or patronising comments will be punished

----------------------------------------------

@TOMBAT

do not worry about this spat, its not your fault that you dont know about these issues, that is why the forum is here,to help guide you through these issues and help you to understand so you do not repeat the same things

all this talk of blind scanning is not for you and you dont have to use every tool on the box just because it is present in the menus , it is probably of no use to you at all

nor should you be treating a new box like an old box, nor a new tv like your old tv either , things change

but you should take heed that reprogramming any of these boxes with third party software, like you did with all your spiderboxes (even your 9000), can invalidate your warranty (because it is no longer as supplied by the manufacturer or the dealer)

and causing the issue that you had with the returned box was likely because you were blind scanning and trying to add those newly found channels to the existing channel list you had loaded. I had no problem with you choosing to do one , or the other , but not BOTH , especially not if it is likely that you exceed the maximum number of transponders and channels allowed by the memory store in your chosen box

now that you are replacing like with like, you may find yourself in exactly the same situation , and your dealer may not be as forthcoming in changing the box if you **** it up again

if you really want to know what your consumer rights are here in the UK, then read up on the CRA2015 because you will find it only covers manufacturing defects , not a user using third party software , including 3rd party patches and channel lists , on a brand new box

the same caveats apply if you buy and reprogram a new phone , a new tablet , a new computer , etc

"chip it" or "reprogram" it or whatever and the dealer can refuse to repair , to replace or to give you your money back

then if you were to take it to the MCOL small claims court , a judge would back the dealer when faced with the issue that it was sent out in full working order and had been reprogrammed and subsequently failed which was the state it was returned in

a consumer is supposed to keep the item in the same state it was sold , so it is at your own risk when you choose to do these things we have talked about , myself and every other member here has decided to take that risk when we have reprogrammed these boxes (which I have been doing for over 15 years and yes I have made similar mistakes and had to reprogram the boxes, in some cases I had to build a jtag to do so - dont worry if you dont know what that is) - I have also reprogrammed spiderboxes using the REPAIR FIX tool when similar issues have come up, for others as well as myself

if in doubt - ASK FIRST , learn what may go wrong with any proposed actions

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (04-01-2018), cosworth4x4 (04-01-2018), DCG (05-01-2018), mrdude (04-01-2018), port06 (04-02-2018), Tombat (05-01-2018)