Thread: Cctv dvr system fault ???

Thanks

Question Cctv dvr system fault ???

I have a cctv system with 8 cameras,dvr fed by hdmi cable to a digital modulator and to tvs around house,last week system started to drop out pictures on tvs are replaced withmulti coloured wave y blocks for one/two secs then pictures return a few mins later drop out again over ndd over mostly after8pm,fitted new dvr this afternoon, worked fine until about 8pm,then same fault,so retuned digital modulator to higher channel same fault,tried moving channel again a few times,no better,tried a few different hdmi leads,no better checked camera power supply and reduced voltage to 11 volts no better, still pulsing color mozaic black out every few mins, any ideas,seems to be some kink of high enery transmission or radar...?????????? now tried a different digital monitor,and same problem,also this clour blocking seames to be making some kind of vertical or diaganal paterns(alternating) ??/now camera multi screen,cams 1,3,4,5,6,7,8, show flashingcolour paterns but cam two showing a patern similar to a filled in ecg display.
    Last edited by JOE.MADDISON; 22-11-2017 at 01:30 AM. Reason: update of changing patterns

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi, Check all your 8 cameras connections to your dvr. Make sure they are all tightly connected. Sometimes if one or more cameras not making proper connection to the inputs it causes interference in the video signal. Regards

Thanks
    not connections,3 different dvrs tried,also 3 mouses/mice tried and its impossible to select any menue ,move mouse and the pointer on screen moves at high speed up down side to side circles etc by itself,same on 3 different dvrs ann 3 dif mice,dvrs tried with dif power supplies,cameras supplied with profesional16 way 10 amp psu with 2 amp max per channel...

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    If you have checked all cameras with different DVRs and different PSU then only thing is left the cameras. Disconnect all the cameras from your DVR and connect each camera one by one to your DVR. There may be a rain water in one of the junction box outside through which these cameras are connected. Or if you have got spare camera you can try connecting it to your DVR on its own by disconnecting all the other cameras. There are number of possibilities. Sometimes rain water shorts the video path. Even if there is moisture in one camera wire it will affect all the others. Regards

Thanks
    Think Jeetley is right, turn 8 view into one view, unplug all cameras, plug one in at a time in one slot.

Thanks
    tried all cams out,put cams back one at a time after 4 cams fault reappears, and six cams slightly worse,8 cams worse,but all ok up to about 5pm then starts flashing paterns at irregular intervals,some nights starts at 6pm,some times a lot later,looks like some kind of high power transmission ?/

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    As you said all ok up to 5pm that means video distortion starts during dark when infrared come into action. Looks like some interference coming from your nearby equipment's which normally shows up during low infrared light at night. Dark sea wave patterns appear during night visions. Are all your cameras connected with the coax cables? Quality of the cables etc. There are lot of possibilities. To diagnose the problem you need to find a spare camera and connect it to your DVR inside the house and see if the problem still persist. Regards

Thanks
    all the cameras with infrared lights have been disconnected and i thort i had cured it but on it still happening

Thanks
    Sounds like something else in the vicinity is causing the interference after dark, and it's strong! - any idea if a neighbour has installed some new "technical stuff" ?

OTOH, it might be interference conducted by the mains supply cables - like the local council having installed remotely-controlled, and/or a new type of, street lighting???
    Last edited by jallen01; 25-11-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Are your 8 cameras coax coming through the power supply box. The reason asked you some installer have their own brand power supply boxes where all camera wires routed through the power supply box. I have seen some of these boxes built with minimum components for multiple cameras. Reduced voltage and non smoothed DC output causes interference in the video signal. Camera wires routed through the power supply box adds transformer emitted magnetic field interference. Using basic 12v adapter for cameras or different adapters for each cameras will produce very heavy interference. I think your problem looks like is within the house which is an electro magnetic interference from somewhere either your power supplies, DVR surrounding equipment's, Mains socket etc. I don't know your technical abilities as how much you know about electricity. There are lot of possibilities you can eliminate one by one through such diagnostic procedures. Disconnect one of your camera and bring it inside the house and connect to your DVR to eliminate the problem. We can only help suggesting it could be this or could be that. Consult your local installer in case you are not getting anywhere. Regards

Thanks
    firstly i am highly technical and for many years installed maintained cctv for police,for bingo halls,for shop security,etc this system has been running for many years on a analog modulater,changed to digital modulater some months back and no problems,then the last 3 weeks this problem,now today theproblem has started about13.00 hours.1 pm..and is much worse, if i unplug the hdmi lead out of the modulator and plug into tv hdmi pictures are fine with no interferance.......???????

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    I am confused now because your story is turning to a different direction. You should have started the thread with this post 11. You are saying there is no interference when HDMI lead connected straight to your TV. I still don't have full picture of technical things you are trying to do. Is your DVR an analogue box and you trying to convert its output into digital signal via Digital modulator. If that's the case Digital Modulators are very sensitive to noise level. If your analogue input signal have any AC noise level your Digital Modulators can filter the noise during conversion for some time till some components fail in the Modulator and pass on the noise on to the screen. You should have mentioned your Digital Modulator involvement in your problem in the first place. So the common denominator could be your Digital Modulator. The End.

Regards
    Last edited by jeetley2; 26-11-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks
    please read miy first post,,,,,cameras....to dvr....via hdmi lead to digital modulater......coax in to digital modulater from roof ax....out from dig mod 1 motorized system....to dig mod 2 cctv.........out into sky hd box........out to loft dist amp....dist amp to rooms......... system gives freeview,analog sky,dig motorised channel.digital cctv channel...to each tv

Thanks
    missed this out sky hd box out 1 straight to samsung uhd tv,,, sky out 2 to remote eye dist amp... remote eye in each room to control sky box has worked for some time with no problems all installed by myself
    sorry with this last post had to type it twice as my sky broadband went down for 5 mins
    Last edited by JOE.MADDISON; 26-11-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: broadband failed

Thanks
    yesterday while setting up an edison mini open vix box i found ,the same patterns in a lesser degree spoiling pictures on 23.5 east rtl 8 and a few more channels,at random times and durration.the box is for seriously ill relation and was not connected via my system.it it was connected via quad lnb on my dish ...to box....via hdmi to a tv.
    Last edited by JOE.MADDISON; 29-11-2017 at 01:27 PM.