Thread: dish advice please

Thanks

dish advice please

hi, i am using a 1.2 channel master dish with a polar mount and actuator in Belfast
    N.Ireland. lately i have seen my signal go down especially on 0.8w. luckily my dish
    is on the ground. i have made some adjustments over the past few days and would be interested in what you think. whether the signals i am getting are fine or not.
    33e turf tv signal Q 76%
    19.2 m-football hd Q 75%
    0.8 6eren Q66%
    5w tv8 mont blanc Q74%
    30w m-football Q 72%

thank you.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi Judging by the figures you have listed in my opinion it looks good... which channels are you having problems with...have you tried to skew the LNB a bit to see if improves the signals. just twist the LNB slightly left or right and see if quality goes up. If quality does not go up then i would try and adjust the dish slightly either up or down or left and right...before making any changes i would make some markings on the dish and mount in case you get stuck and need to go back as it was.. ..good luck. Regards

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KARABANGA For This Useful Post:

harrydocuk (29-09-2017)

Thanks
    KARABANGA thank you for your reply, i have just been doing small adjustments at a time but in general i am pleased with the signal. i erected the dish more than 15 years ago so i guess its held up well. i don't know if you remember but i used to buy a magazine called wotsat and there was a piece in it about how to fine tune your dish by pulling your dish at the top and bottom on a satellite east, west, and the centre. it then told you how to adjust the polar mount depending on the results you got. have searched the house from top to bottom but can't find it.
    thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,249 Times in 2,030 Posts
    What Satellite and Digital TV Monthly Magazine
    Final issue‎: ‎November 2014

i looked and i still have the DEC 2010 Copy of it probably few others aswell lying around
    But Not the Edition with the Satellite alignment article i'm afraid however .

But getting back on topic what likely will reduce signals more than anything is Rain and in Belfast just South of me you probably get a decent helping of Rain Too ?
    my signals on my 1.2m Channel master pretty much match you @ harrydocuk ,
    It is hard to improve very much i too have been playing with trying to increase but with little success
    My 2 meter prime focus dish is far superior signals but still not perfect neither on the west side it suffers i have both dishes set up on 8 West
    with 5°West being by far my strongest Satellite and i do track the Arc but do loose out quite a lot at 24.5°West and 20°W also .
    But every time i mess up my 1.2M dish i gotta get my brother to help get it back again i should really mark polar mount and elevation as he is getting pretty ticked off having to watch my TV all the time , Even my Sat meter does not get me back on track fully , i tried every LNB on the market but biggest majority of LNB's are really false advertising they look attractive but end up being a hot mess

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Barney For This Useful Post:

harrydocuk (29-09-2017)

Thanks
    hi Barney thanks for replying, i am using a raven feed horn with inverto black pro lnb. as far as rain is concerned yes we get plenty of it haha. i can get from 36e to 30w then the house blocks it out. i also have an 90cm leason heath dish with twin lmb that gets me 39e and 42e.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,249 Times in 2,030 Posts
    Inverto Black Pro C120 LNB i have but with Invacom Adjustable feed Horn ADF-120
    i can get from 42E to 34.5W ITS NOW Blowing a gale and Raining again like a S.O.B total Irish winters evening
    i reckon any small window for playing with a dish might well be closed up until early-mid 2018 again
    when it starts with high winds and rain like its doing tonight it usually can last for 5-6 months solid pretty much non-stop
    It was a pretty decent summer however and probably warmest i can remember since the late 80's - 90's
    now we pay the price and hope and pray signals and our dishes can withstand the never ending onslaught

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Barney For This Useful Post:

harrydocuk (29-09-2017)

Thanks
    The best method is - get the best strong signal you can on the middle sat eg 0.8 w then try and try and match up 28 east and 30 west on the signal strength on both V & H polarities I get 100% on 28 east and similar on 30 west.

Catch 22 is - You need to find the best and weakest transponders on your 2 far side sats - some TPs are stronger than others.

The other variable is - The signal meter you see on your sat receiver may not be calibrated correctly. In theory you would think they would be - but they do vary for a number of reasons. You could be getting 100% signal but the meter only reads 85% for example or vice versa. Handy to set up your receiver then see how the signal compares to a second receiver if you have one.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mumbles For This Useful Post:

Barney (29-09-2017), harrydocuk (29-09-2017)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    There's lots of variables with dishes and LNB's, they are subject to weather, trees and bushes growing fast and ground movement and cable joint deterioration.

Receivers and LNB's develop frequency drift over the years but still work but once they get get outside the system parameters they stop working.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

harrydocuk (29-09-2017)

Thanks
    thank you all for taking the time to reply and help.
    harrydocuk.