Thread: How is it possible for a warship to collide with an oil tanker??

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts

How is it possible for a warship to collide with an oil tanker??

The USA has some state of the Art radars, and god knows whatever else technology for tracking missiles/torpedoes and most likely can link up to spy satellites and probably some other stuff......how the hell can it not see an Oil tanker? it's not like an oil tanker is a small object or doesn't have radio communications.

Since this is the 4th 'accident' in 2 years and 2nd is as many months - you have to ask yourself if these are really 'accidents' or is there something more sinister going on were not being told about?

Personally I think the captains of these ships should be put in prison - people have died due to what can only be described as gross negligence, yet you can hack someones email account and be put in prison for 20 years or so in USA - it seems the justice systems are not very fair in that country, but that's another topic for some other forum.

As a NATO member - it doesn't instill much faith that the US navy can't detect other massive ships in a busy shipping lane - WTF, and we are all expected to trust these guys with nuclear missiles???

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

Bod (22-08-2017), Dark Cloud (21-08-2017), echelon (21-08-2017), Nikkas (23-08-2017), sonic1 (22-08-2017)

Thanks
    In my opinion it is just the way people are nowadays.
    Too much confidence and too much Ego is a recipe for disaster.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Cloud For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (23-08-2017)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    what about the other ship? thats supposed to have radar as well?? We will never be told but I think if it goes to 3 strikes..... someone will be out

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    Its obvious that every single person on both ships just all happened to playing with their phones at the same time, nobody was minding the shop on either boat.
    Last edited by TonyO; 22-08-2017 at 11:53 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

Dig Deep (23-08-2017)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
    Its obvious that every single person both ships just all happened to playing with their phones at the same time, nobody was minding the shop on either boat.
    Surely there are Alarms and stuff that go off when another vessel is near, I mean the bridge must be manned 24/7 with people looking at radar screens and stuff. Also when you think about the situation in North Korea and china just now - you'd think they would be on a higher alert than normal and would notice an oil tanker about 3 times the size of their ship approaching??? I doesn't make any sense how this can happen.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    It was a Stealth Tanker!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to magician For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (23-08-2017)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    our Americans are such GOOD saliors...something like this could have happened
    _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNX4xqlXJE

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pog Mo Thoin For This Useful Post:

JMH (22-08-2017)

Verified Registered User bamber's Avatar
    Thanks
    It must have been Sub-Lieutenant Phillips at the wheel: left hand down a bit...right hand up a bit...crunch!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,403 Posts
    I recently watched a repeat of Air Crash Investigations, where an American warship shot down a passenger plane, due to a succession of basic mistakes, involving new technology.
    First they didn't release the lock, on tracking the aircraft, from the air strip, so picked up a second aircrafts information, a fighter jet, instead of the passenger plane.
    One of the officers was in tunnel vision mode, fixated on an enemy attack, so misread his screen, which showed the plane to be ascending, yet read the information as the plane was diving.
    Finally the captain ignored warnings, from another officer, proclaiming that the plane was possible Com Air, Commercial Aircract, and finally fired a missile, killing all onboard.
    This crew arrived home to a heroes welcome, and following a sham enquiry were given medals, and promotions.
    Obviously no Americans were passengers, so the errors weren't important.

Verified Registered User Jimdefruit's Avatar
    Thanks
    It was the Americans after all. The tanker is not very manouverable and takes over a quarter of a mile to stop. Too much frigging in the rigging by the Americans methinks.

Thanks
    seen this a few years ago just briliant

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Don't forget HMS Southampton Type 42 Destroyer did the same late 1980's early 1990's.

That was showing off.

Most warships have 2 sets of engines two Steaming and two high performance.

When I've seen this happen before the Officer of the watch usually thinks he has the porch engines running but only has the 2CV engines on the go and can't maneuver in time.

The tanker will more than lightly have had a crew of about a dozen and one person on the bridge but the warship should have had many more.

Regards.

CUK.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    The crew of the tanker probably didn't speak any English, the crew of the USA ship must be able to avoid a tanker which is slow and they are very fast, the faster ship must avoid the heavy slower ship as they are nimble and more maneuverable.

Another muddle that lead to peoples deaths.