Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you get the belt at School?

Thanks
    The first time for me was about 12 and I needed to be dragged in, I ended up going for the cane to get out of classes, so it didnt work for me, but I think it does work as a deterent for other pupils with more sense.

I lived with a teacher and they have so little control on kids these days , my antics were pretty mild compared to what kids see as acceptable, and expelling isnt on the table unless its extreme.

The only punishment I hated, was during PE , if we forgot any of our kit, even a sock , my pe teacher ( ex rugby international ), used to line us up , make us touch our toes , and boot us full out right into the coxic , he was a right b____ , he even had some sort of metal on his trainers ffs, Id spend the rest of the day walking like john wayne and sitting on one but cheek! There was normally 3 of us, the pre nerves in the changing room were immense it felt like the green mile going for punishment.
    Last edited by okia; 14-08-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks
    The best way to control people is by making them fear the consequences of their actions. Today the consequences are feared by nobody thanks to all the namby pamby do-gooders and weak politicians. Put some frightening consequences back in place and the miscreants will start to toe the line again. It's human nature to try and get away with as much as possible.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBadger For This Useful Post:

holmroad (16-08-2017), Satcat (17-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    All part of our awful nanny state society mate, they are all over protected and totally unable to properly find their own way in life!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBadger View Post
    The best way to control people is by making them fear the consequences of their actions. Today the consequences are feared by nobody thanks to all the namby pamby do-gooders and weak politicians. Put some frightening consequences back in place and the miscreants will start to toe the line again. It's human nature to try and get away with as much as possible.
    That's what North Korea does and it works over there :-), but you're right - too many politicians and do gooders are trying to involve themselves in other peoples lives. The PC brigade needs shooting as well. It's people like that, that have made it possible for Asian gangs to become child grooming rings and the like as people don't want to or are afraid to be classed as a racists if they speak out.

We tell kids it's OK not to be first in a race - it's taking part that counts, come WW3 coming anything but 1st is a death sentence.....kids learning is being stifled by these people as there are not learning enough life lessons. There is consequences to actions when you're an ***** & maybe that's why the prison population is so high nowadays as unruly kids become unruly *****s. It could also be a reason why there is a high suicide rate, kids go through some 'fantasy' land growing up phase thinking everything is fair in life - then they realise it's not and it's a dog eat dog world. The nanny state/pc brigade have a lot to answer for - come the revolution they will be high targets on my kill list :-)

EDIT: for some you can't use the word (a d u l t) on this site - is that a swear word now - haha, that's what the *** text is above.
    Last edited by mrdude; 16-08-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    hi guys
    at the after 11 plus + I was at wood work class and I put 6inch nails in bench, then I go to headmaster office for 12 stroke of the cane it was apple branch 4ft long
    after the cane I started laugh, the head master funny side then he said hold out the other hand see if that's is funny got 6 more whacks.

Thanks
    It's a few days since I posted here, but you MUST remember (please!) that there is a BIG difference between unfair punishment and bullying (my "grouses") and the results of the "nanny state" approach to which some have referred - because there is always a vulnerable section of the kids at school who need some protection, as well as another section who, for various reasons (possibly often related to the way they are treated at home or due to family disfunctions /relative poverty /drink /drugs, etc.), can't or don't want to, conform to the schools' norms.

THINK about that, and then post what you think could be done for both sections of the school populations!
    Last edited by jallen01; 16-08-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks
    The school environment should be safe for all! When I was there, those that didn't want to conform were made to by "consequences" and those that couldn't were removed to "special" schools. There were very few of the latter type of pupil. Public ridicule is very effective at making people conform but is now not allowed in our so called "enlightened" society. I'm not advocating a totalitarian model but punishments should fit the crime.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    For me it was a Golf Club ...yes just imagine a total psycho headmaster running around with a golf club
    which i believe was much worse than the belt because it brought you to your knees instantly and it hurt like fcuk for days and days
    i still have the scars and trouble walking properly to this day which is over 30 years ago now
    i did get the belt and cane also so i know exactly what that feels like too make no mistake
    just getting caught with 1 puff of a cigarette earned me 10 of the best or 5 really hard strikes with the golf club whichever the teacher felt was most degrading and painfull at that particular time and would set an extreme example to others , skipping school or 'scheming' was always rewarded with the belt and it was'nt pretty at all !!
    so i would never want things to go back to those very depressing old days: )
    And sure kids are cheeky nowadays and sure its gone too far the other way but there simply needs to be a happy medium and not the violence which was all too common in my day ..i left school for pure fear i would never walk again at 13 years old not something that any youngster should ever have to sacrifice
    found myself on a deck of a boat working my a$$ off @ 13years old but making 7 or 8 hundred every month for zero education but ability to learn very fast something you need to know how to do real well or you do not eat and you try find a job with no qualifications or papers or education equals no hope whatsoever .
    spent 8 years on a couple of different fishing boats i got lucky the skipper i worked for was retiring and knew the boss of a local fish factory
    i had picked up enuff knife skills while at sea to fillet fish very quickly and got a job on land in that factory and spent the next 10 years
    working my a$$ off for that Boss who was the most straight and honest man i will ever meet , and learning how to drive forklifts , learning how to drive a lorry having loads of fun along the way making a decent weekly wage .
    it was a very sad and depressing time when he passed away i pretty much gave up working after that for others i tried it but today's greedy and ruthless Bosses are too much for me but i'll survive i always have found a way even without any education or paperwork : ))
    thats the story of my life right there i have nothing to hide , i have lived life to the max got drunk many times , did drugs had fun with hookers , wrecked several cars broke many bones , fell from the top of a a three story house , went overboard while painting a boat at the pier which is not something to brag about but you name it i done it and its a miracle i'm here and able to talk about it .

Today's kids i just do'nt see being as lucky in life as i have been which is why education is vital but excessive violence needs to stay in the past ,
    @ mrdude i thank you for opening this topic to discuss this issues and sorry if i have went into far too much detail
    but i can relate to everything you have written about and my father even got much worse horrific beatings than i ever did
    which is why the past needs to remain behind us and its horrific brutality and the ignorant people behind those attacks who are pretty much all now dead or were already dead inside .
    Some type of working punishment would be more fitting these days like recycling or cleaning nothing very sinister but enuff to make them not require a second helping of that punishment .

Today i saw two very young kids trying to play some music with a couple of small drums they found
    they were just messing around having harmless fun outside a supermarket
    they were not expecting it at all but i gave them a fiver each you'd swear they won the lotto they could hardly even contain their excitement....i so remember well when i was young like that but was never lucky enuff to be given anything in life ..... not all kids are bad !!!
    cheers !
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBadger View Post
    The school environment should be safe for all! When I was there, those that didn't want to conform were made to by "consequences" and those that couldn't were removed to "special" schools. There were very few of the latter type of pupil. Public ridicule is very effective at making people conform but is now not allowed in our so called "enlightened" society. I'm not advocating a totalitarian model but punishments should fit the crime.
    We had cane, belt and slipper (which was a gnarly old size 12 plimsoll). I can categorically state that it did not stop us getting into all types of trouble from fun and hi jinks to the anti social and outright criminal.

I ended up becoming a teacher and working in special schools for behaviour and social emotional difficulties. I prefer it the new way.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts
    So would you say less kids getting into trouble (serious trouble)as all kids play up play the fool push their luck.

Today or years back when you was in school.

Thanks
    Honestly? About the same. Way more diagnosed with ADHD and autistic spectrum issues though! I'm suspicious of the numbers that are put down to bad behaviour.

I think more kids have difficulty processing information than is thought and, if they're not taught right, after a couple of years (still in infants) they start to switch off. They end up creating problems for teachers, classmates and everyone.

One other distressing angle is the numbers that have been abused. If you have bad behaviour it doesn't mean that you have been abused but the chances of you having experienced some form of trauma go way up.

Teachers aren't trained to deal with any of this so it creates a problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,498 Posts
    Often had the ruler but on one occasion when I pushed a little too far I had it over the back of the hand when I was not looking, brought tears to my eyes.

But I probably deserved it.

Thanks
    When I was at school in the late 50s our English teacher had what he called a cerebration stimulator. It was actually a wooden walking stick. When you made a silly mistake he would give a a tap on the head, it certainly made you think before you did anything.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McrRed View Post
    Way more diagnosed with ADHD and autistic spectrum issues though!
    Those didn't exists when I was at school - well they did but they were known by another name, such as being a 'cheeky little bastard!'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12