Thread: Any members on here from Yorks?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,189 Times in 1,180 Posts

Any members on here from Yorks?

I'm hoping to spend a few days with my better half in early June & we fancy a short break in Yorkshire

Places we are interested would be the Yorkshire Dales, Holmfirth
    Someone also mentioned to me to look at the area where Emmerdale was once filmed as its beautiful around there

Any advice on best places to visit stay/b&B hotels etc
    Routes/locations worth a mention that maybe not so well known to tourists

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I don't live in Yorkshire but I am on the better side of the Pennines across from it over in Lancashire

As no Yorkies have replied then a few places you may like to visit include a small village called Haworth that is known as being in Bronte Country as it is where the Bronte sisters came from :

h**p://www.bronte-country.com/welcome.html

Holmfirth is where "The Last Of The Summer Wine" was filmed, I am not sure about Emmerdale, and if you end up staying near to Bradford there is the "The National Science and Media Museum" that you may find interesting, it is a long time since I visited it but if you have an interest in photography and television they had the history of how it started and developed and I can only think that it will have got bigger and better now.

h**ps://www.scienceandmediamuseum.org.uk/visit-us

Then there is the city of York with the "Jorvik Viking centre" that has just reopened after a big refurbishment as well as many places to visit in York itself or just a walk along the remaining walls.

Once you get outside of the larger towns and cities there are lots of pretty villages and countryside to go walking in or driving through.

Enjoy your visit "oop in t' north" I am sure that you will enjoy yourselves

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandra For This Useful Post:

armenchix (29-04-2017), catseye (26-04-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    I don't live in Yorkshire but I am on the better side of the Pennines across from it over in Lancashire

As no Yorkies have replied then a few places you may like to visit include a small village called Haworth that is known as being in Bronte Country as it is where the Bronte sisters came from :

h**p://www.bronte-country.com/welcome.html

Holmfirth is where "The Last Of The Summer Wine" was filmed, I am not sure about Emmerdale, and if you end up staying near to Bradford there is the "The National Science and Media Museum" that you may find interesting, it is a long time since I visited it but if you have an interest in photography and television they had the history of how it started and developed and I can only think that it will have got bigger and better now.

h**ps://www.scienceandmediamuseum.org.uk/visit-us

Then there is the city of York with the "Jorvik Viking centre" that has just reopened after a big refurbishment as well as many places to visit in York itself or just a walk along the remaining walls.

Once you get outside of the larger towns and cities there are lots of pretty villages and countryside to go walking in or driving through.

Enjoy your visit "oop in t' north" I am sure that you will enjoy yourselves
    Thanks Sandra for your reply I will have a look at the stuff youve mentioned

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts
    a drive to Aysgarth falls is recommended

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3tv For This Useful Post:

armenchix (29-04-2017), catseye (26-04-2017)

Thanks
    Visit the City of Culture and surrounding areas 2017 for a few days

lots of dishes in the cities/rural usals with ur ch list set up 2 LoL
    Last edited by KoFi; 27-04-2017 at 03:40 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KoFi For This Useful Post:

catseye (27-04-2017)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I'm from yorkshire mate i live about 40 mins from holmfirth where last of the sumer wine was filmed. Holmfirths alright but I find parking can be a little bit of a pain at weekends. Bretton Park is not too far from Holmfirth and thats a nice walk round the sculpture park, also denby dale pie village is between the two. Emmerdale was filmed in a place called eshalt but is now filmed at harewood house in Leeds. All the areas up in bronty country out halifax way are supposed to be nice, but if i had the time I would spend some time in york as there loads to do to pass the day. A decent parking area is at cliffords tower car park its a little expensive about £8.00 for 5 hours i think but its very central. If your after a nice city a like leeds city center for an early morning walk sundays is free parking on the roads if you park near ******s. Loads of nice buildings to look at and spend a little time down by granery wharf.
    Last edited by kegnkiwi; 28-04-2017 at 10:04 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kegnkiwi For This Useful Post:

catseye (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kegnkiwi View Post
    I'm from yorkshire mate i live about 40 mins from holmfirth where last of the sumer wine was filmed. Holmfirths alright but I find parking can be a little bit of a pain at weekends. Bretton Park is not too far from Holmfirth and thats a nice walk round the sculpture park, also denby dale pie village is between the two. Emmerdale was filmed in a place called eshalt but is now filmed at harewood house in Leeds. All the areas up in bronty country out halifax way are supposed to be nice, but if i had the time I would spend some time in york as there loads to do to pass the day. A decent parking area is at cliffords tower car park its a little expensive about £8.00 for 5 hours i think but its very central.
    Thanks m8 -hoping to book up over the weekend
    Re Emmerdale -it would be the old location would be interested
    Heard Holmfirth is bad for parking so anywhere nearish would be fine as long as its scenic
    Probably just call into Holmfirth for a few hours en route

V.I.P
    Thanks
    All the areas around holmfirth are senic if you are coming north junction 38 m1 will lead you via the yorkshire sculpture park and denby dale on your way to holmfirth, from holmfirth to bonte country its an hour via hudderfields and bradford. If you wanted to visit harrogate or ripon and york then not much more than and 1.25 hours from each other. If you reach york and really looking for anything else then you could venture to whitby which is real pretty and it probs only just over and hours away again. Loads to do up here just plan before you come. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Myself and the family are going the opposite this year where off down south to cornwall, st ives. but going via stone henge and on the way back calling into bristol to see my brother.
    Last edited by kegnkiwi; 28-04-2017 at 10:46 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kegnkiwi For This Useful Post:

catseye (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kegnkiwi View Post
    All the areas around holmfirth are senic if you are coming north junction 38 m1 will lead you via the yorkshire sculpture park and denby dale on your way to holmfirth, from holmfirth to bonte country its an hour via hudderfields and bradford. If you wanted to visit harrogate or ripon and york then not much more than and 1.25 hours from each other. If you reach york and really looking for anything else then you could venture to whitby which is real pretty and it probs only just over and hours away again. Loads to do up here just plan before you come. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Myself and the family are going the opposite this year where off down south to cornwall, st ives. but going via stone henge and on the way back calling into bristol to see my brother.
    Blimey you've got one hell of a journey from Yorks down to Cornwall
    We have been to North Yorks coast & around that area & loved it tbh
    Hence reason for wanting to do the Dales etc
    Especially without the kids!!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Yep one hell of a long way.... Just remember that the area of holmfirth is not in the yorkshire dales it's actually bordered by the pennines. You need to go north and west of leeds to get into the dales. I've seen this a few times where people thought they were in the dales but it was the pennines.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kegnkiwi For This Useful Post:

catseye (29-04-2017)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    i come from west yorkshire, all the areas the previous posters recommmend are just great, must have visited all of them i my time there, but have you considered visiting york as well? i live there now, york has many attractions, why not visit the castle museum, it got a brill reputation & i work there too!!!!!!!
    cheers maggie

18. The Following User Says Thank You to maggie For This Useful Post:

catseye (17-05-2017)