Thread: Wireless external security camera?

Thanks

Wireless external security camera?

Hi

We have a small property we let out for holiday stays. I would like to install a high up security camera to view the front gate and yard. There is broadband at the house. Is it possible to get a camera which would connect to the broadband wifi which I could then view remotely? With the old stone walls it would be difficult to get a wire connection to the broadband box.

I've searched online but just get more confused.

Thanks

Bob

Thanks
    there are wifi cameras to do exactly what you need,...but,....if you can't get a cat6 cable to it, how will you get power to it ?.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Cloud For This Useful Post:

bobed (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply DC, I can probably get power to it from a junction box in the attic and a hole near the gutter. Its the cable down to the box that would be the problem.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bobed For This Useful Post:

Dark Cloud (17-04-2017)

Verified Registered User waverider's Avatar
    Thanks
    It might be better if you could post some photographs, of the house in relation to the gate and wall,and the distance from the house to the gate.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to waverider For This Useful Post:

bobed (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Hi Waverider

Thanks for the reply, I am a photographer so the view of the area is not a problem.

What I need to know is how to get a camera which has the wifi capabilities to connect to the wifi broadband connected box and let me view it remotely. I can get power to the camera, but it would be difficult to get a network cable to the box downstairs. I have seen cameras online which have antennas for wifi, I thought they could connect to a nearby wifi router, but I don't understand the next step for remote connection.

Thanks

Bob

V.I.P
    Thanks
    If you can get power to the camera, i.e. the low voltage cable from the power supply, most IP cameras should do exactly what you want. There are plenty of cheap devices about now, either fixed, or PTZ type, which are remotely moveable, zoom, focus, etc.. Whilst setup can all sound a bit complicated, if you follow the instructions that come with the IP camera or on the manufacturer's website, it's usually fairly straightforward.

The actual procedures used to access an IP camera externally depend mainly on make of router, and whether you have a fixed or dynamic IP address assigned by your internet service provider. If you are assigned a dynamic IP address as I am, that is normally the biggest problem... but it is far from insurmountable.

If you google "remote access wifi camera" or something similar, it should bring up a number of examples. If you get stuck, no doubt someone here will help.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sparky_dog For This Useful Post:

bobed (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks Sparky, I followed your advice and got a couple of links to cameras that would seem to connect with wifi, a memory card in the camera seems like a useful addition too. I think I need to have a look at port forwarding!

Bob

Thanks
    I have a bit of experience with PTZ cameras, the hard part is condensing what I have learned about them so as not to bore you to death reading about them.
    The good news is that the development has been fast over the last few years. Hikvision and Dahua are probably the best but they are expensive compared to clones of them.
    The cheapo cameras do have disadvantages such as very poor remote PTZ response and no memory card.
    You asked about wifi and as people have mentioned above you need to get power to the camera so you could choose a POE (power over ethernet) version which only need the network cable. If you extend the DC power lead to the camera from the power unit plugged into the nearest mains socket, I have found that cheap cameras will not work with this lead extended.
    I have a similar situation to you and have a camera set up to detect motion then send me a picture via FTP to a USB in my router. Cameras will also send email alerts but I have found that false alarms are common. These can be caused by the sun going in/out etc. This is more common on cheaper cameras, better ones have facial recognition plus line crossing so it is the same old story, you usually get what you pay for.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to crabber For This Useful Post:

bobed (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    Hi Crabber

Thank you for the info, we all have years of experience in our field and its hard to pass that on in a simple way!
    I've been doing more research and as you say the better gear is more expensive. A network cable to the router would be the solution, but I'll have to see if this is possible without major internal upset.

Bob

Verified Registered User waverider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Have you thought about setting a second router up as a (Hub).