Thread: Sat Nav screen position.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,239 Posts

Icon10 Sat Nav screen position.

A debate on Twitter last week illustrated that few of us know the law in relation to having a sat nav on your windscreen. One of those vociferously arguing that it was perfectly legal to have it just below the rear-view mirror, was a Police Inspector. There are strictly defined areas of the windscreen that must be kept free of obstructions and simply put, this means a satnav, or phone holder, must not hinder your view and should not be situated in the swept area of the screen. Common sense applies but ideally it should be low and in the corner of the screen or situated such that, when viewed from the driving seat, it does not protrude above the line of the car bonnet or is fitted high enough that it is only blocking a view of the sky.
    Darren Griffin PocketGPSWorld

How often do we see the sat nav stuck to the centre of the screen visually blocking out a large area. Dim-wits comes to mind. When I was a MOT tester had to ask normally young ladies to remove dolls and things hanging off the interior mirror, swinging in her view and boys with their dice, don't get me started.
    Come on and have a go at me for being an old git.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traveller For This Useful Post:

Aldo (31-03-2017), JOE.MADDISON (31-03-2017)

Verified Registered User PLANTPOT's Avatar
    Thanks
    it is down to commonsense,however most satnavs come with a stick on mount designed to be stuck in the middle of the windscreen.
    Mine is on the central air vent,very rarely look at it driving along just listen to the voice instructions.
    PP.