Thread: Octagon 4008

Thanks

Octagon 4008

Have just bought one of these boxes, sadly not from the sponsors because they don't stock them.

Primarily wanted it for the DVB-S2X facility, and for the fact it may be the first STB (as opposed to computer card) to undo French TV multistream feeds on 5 deg W.

In brief - I think the Open ATV software software leaves a lot to be desired. I probably should have chosen ViX. There appears to be no way of deleting channels, or re-organising them, within the box itself.

However, I have been enlightened by kind folk into the workings of DreamboxEdit, and as a result I was able to considerably re-organise the system, and I now have a nice personalised bouquet of the French TNT channels, all of them, working perfectly, the zapping time is incredibly quick, and - the icing on the cake - I can record stuff again without any imposition of restrictions, so Julie Andrieu on France 3 is recording as we speak and will be kept in the archives, readable by VLC player.....

What have I actually achieved? Not a lot, but it really REALLY annoyed me that French TV had disappeared so totally behind encryption and getting the Octagon seems like a little victory against that, in spite of my already having both Fransat and TNTsat. I can record and keep stuff. And I have a receiver that - apart from software that personally doesn't really suit me - is a real performer. I've yet to try TF1 on 33 deg E to test the DVB-S2X but it's on the to-do list.

Just wondering if anyone else on here has taken the plunge, because I suspect I'm not using the full capabilities of the box, given that the preloaded channel lists were full of the offerings of a certain pay operator in Deutchland, and a certain Greek bouquet. I don't want any of that, but I'd be intrigued to know what else the box can do, apart from the perfectly respectable undoing of French multistream.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts
    if you already had a fransat card you can record with that, just use oscam to read the card. opens the uhd channel also which has shown Roland garros tennis for the last 3 years

Thanks
    Well possibly, but I'm afraid you're talking to someone who would have no idea how to do what you're suggesting (and yes I have two Fransat cards). But I take your point.

Anyone else got a 4008?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moulin View Post
    Well possibly, but I'm afraid you're talking to someone who would have no idea how to do what you're suggesting (and yes I have two Fransat cards). But I take your point.

Anyone else got a 4008?
    I've got new 4008 and Neotion fransat card reader+cards. However I'm not able to make them work. Have you tried with Fransat cards (multistream without cards works ok but its not enough)?