Thread: Mr Murdoch

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts

Post Mr Murdoch

I have just seen the following info sent to me in an email:

Dear Aldo,

Breaking: a new investigation shows that Murdoch and his officials are having secret meetings with top government ministers. He’s been ramping up the pressure on politicians - while trying to fast-track a deal to take over Sky and grow his media empire.
    If Murdoch is successful, he’ll control what is beamed into over 22 million homes. He’ll have even greater power over what news we see and how we see it.
    Right now, Karen Bradley, the government minister responsible for newspapers and TV, is deciding whether to launch an independent investigation that’ll have the power to stop the deal. A huge petition, signed by thousands of us, will show we expect her to stand up to Rupert Murdoch.
    So, Aldo, can you sign the petition demanding an investigation into Murdoch’s plan to take over Sky? It’ll only take a couple of seconds:
    Our investigation with the Media Reform Coalition showed that:
    Murdoch and his advisors have been meeting the government at a rate equal to a meeting once every three weeks.
    Murdoch’s influence extends to the very top: he had back-to-back meetings with Prime Minister Theresa May and Chancellor Philip Hammond in September 2016.
    Murdoch is using his influence to try to push his deal through. But the good news is, we’ve beaten him before. Back in 2011, Murdoch attempted a BSkyB power grab. 38 Degrees members launched a people-powered campaign - and we won. Murdoch was stopped because thousands of people came together, and our voices were impossible to ignore.
    We can do it again, but we’ve got to act fast. Murdoch’s team is already getting the pieces in place so the government will fast-track his deal.
    So will you add your voice to the hundreds of thousands of others calling to stop Murdoch’s takeover of Sky?

Any one wishing to sign the petition can do so at 38 Degrees.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

2colby (07-02-2017), andy gg (08-02-2017), holmroad (07-02-2017), waverider (09-02-2017)

Thanks
    I have just had the following reply to me signing the petition:

Thank you for signing the petition asking Karen Bradley to refer Rupert Murdoch's Sky takeover bid to OfCom.

The more of us who sign this petition, the bigger our impact will be. Please let your friends and family know about the campaign so they can add their support. There's an email below you could forward if you like. Or, you could share the campaign on Facebook or Twitter:

Facebook: h**p://38d.gs/2gDydqc

Twitter: h**p://bit.ly/2hzgHRb

Thanks
    Thanked 4,249 Times in 2,030 Posts
    Looks like a Scam site ??
    stop Murdoch from taking over Sky? You can make a secure donation here:
    Site Asks for Monthly donations as soon as u sign the petition demands a cash donation ..WTF ?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barney For This Useful Post:

BOOGIBEAR (07-02-2017), holmroad (07-02-2017), sleepy (07-02-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Looks like a Scam site ??

Site Asks for Monthly donations as soon as u sign the petition demands a cash donation ..WTF ?
    Well If it is a scam site as you say, how come that 224, 249 people have signed that petition so far, are you suggesting that all of those people are gullible, and if this petition gets sufficient people to sign it and Murdoch's proposals are defeated, then maybe you will so kind as to come back and admit that you were wrong in saying the " 38 Degrees " is a scam site, as I and many thousands of others know different, as I have signed many petitions and have yet to make a donation, the donations are made voluntarily to help state their case in the media etc and that does not come cheaply.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

DCG (07-02-2017)

Thanks
    @Barney

Maybe you would like to read this info ref the 38 Degrees site, and then come back and say if you still think that it is a scam site:

h**ps://home.38degrees.org.uk/

and additional info ref donation policy:

h**ps://home.38degrees.org.uk/about/donation-policy/
    Last edited by Aldo; 08-02-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Verified Registered User Mobley2's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have signed many petitions on 38degrees, for various things, I have also signed this petition.
    I would agree with Aldo, that it is not a scam site, and I have never given them any donations.
    I also receive regular reports from them, as to the outcome of these petitions.

regards mobley2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mobley2 For This Useful Post:

Aldo (08-02-2017)

Thanks
    @Mobley

I totally agree with everything that you have stated ref 38degrees, and if members read all the info inpost#5, they would know that this is not a scam site, and the only sceptical members in this thread so far have been those in post#3, which brings to mind two old cliches " Look before you Leap " or " Don't judge a book by the Cover ", also some of those members can regularly be seen complaining about Mr Murdoch and Sly.