Thread: downloading and installing E2 channel lists (settings)

Thanks

downloading and installing E2 channel lists (settings)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    click on it in your browser (like firefox or opera and it will download for you)

if it doesnt its an issue with your browser

Thanks
    Hi,

Many thank it was me trying to download it via my phone rather than through my chrome browser.
    Can you advise how i use the channel list.
    If i connect to my box via filezilla can i drop the folder or is it the contents of the folder somewhere?

Thanks
    You can drop the contents of the folder into /etc/enigma2 but that is not the best way to transfer a channel list as doing this may leave debris behind.

Best way would be to use one of the editing tools such as mentioned by Echelon in post 2 above to load them up and then transfer them across. Depending on which tool (Dreamboxedit, E-channelizer or Dreamset) you chose there are some useful videos on youtube that show how it's done.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikkas For This Useful Post:

echelon (11-01-2017)

Thanks
    use a laptop to download it (not a phone) and dreamset or dreamboxedit (and once they are setup correctly) will install the files into the correct places on the E2 box , then reboot E2 or reboot the box to lock in the new list (any old settings will be overwritten so back them up first using the same tools , just in case)

Thanks
    Many thanks for the advice.
    Firstly apologies for replying to the sticky on this. I should of started my own thread.
    I did as you said downloaded the file on laptop and inserted via the dreambox editor. I still have a couple of question maybe silly ones.
    1. When I type the channel number like for instance knowing sports starts with 401 I get a different channel. I notice there appears to 2 channel numbers? Can I switch them? (if that makes sense)
    2. Cbeebies channel does not work shows no reception is this to do with my sat or chair new list error I notice the Cbeebies HD also doesn't work? Any clues.

Thanks
    the list you talked about is several months old and so many changes will have taken place, usually transponder changes , so obtaining the details from lyng sat or king of sat and rescanning the new transponder or altering the details accordingly and scanning will find and lock in the new channel or channels

then you have to remove the old one (delete it) and add the new one into the bouquet and move it into place

bear in mind that the numbers may not correspond to the sly numbering scheme , plus their scheme changes a lot too

it will have been CORRECT on the day it was made and posted, then gradually it will becaome more and more INCORRECT as tempus fugit, so if you car was MOT,d last august and passed ok , it does not mean it is safe to drive now, the tyres may be below minimum tread depth , the brake pads may be worn and the exhaust may be blowing too, plus if somebody has made changes to it like altering something then it may not perfom like it did on the day

the CATSEYE settings are usually more up to date although they are usually adapted for his region , which is great if you are in the same region as he is (which I am not) - otherwise its add your own regional channels and delete his from the bouquets

in other words you need as new a channel settings list as possible, and then you personalise it to your own region and taste using the remote control channel editing option, or do it in dreamset or dreamboxedit before loading it in

I find doing it onscreen is best as you are testing and moving channels about "on the fly" - in real time , checking as you go (usually checking each channel ident is the correct ident)

its not plug and play , its user input and alter to suit your own tastes , no 2 boxes will be the same

try the latest catseye list, see if you are happy with that one , because you would not use a 5 month old telly guide to see what is on the telly tonight !!

ps:- I know you posted in the sticky thread which is why I moved all the posts into a thread of your very own and edited post 1 and added the link

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

catseye (13-01-2017), Jonmarkwright (12-01-2017), Nikkas (12-01-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    the list you talked about is several months old and so many changes will have taken place, usually transponder changes , so obtaining the details from lyng sat or king of sat and rescanning the new transponder or altering the details accordingly and scanning will find and lock in the new channel or channels

then you have to remove the old one (delete it) and add the new one into the bouquet and move it into place

bear in mind that the numbers may not correspond to the sly numbering scheme , plus their scheme changes a lot too

it will have been CORRECT on the day it was made and posted, then gradually it will becaome more and more INCORRECT as tempus fugit, so if you car was MOT,d last august and passed ok , it does not mean it is safe to drive now, the tyres may be below minimum tread depth , the brake pads may be worn and the exhaust may be blowing too, plus if somebody has made changes to it like altering something then it may not perfom like it did on the day

the CATSEYE settings are usually more up to date although they are usually adapted for his region , which is great if you are in the same region as he is (which I am not) - otherwise its add your own regional channels and delete his from the bouquets

in other words you need as new a channel settings list as possible, and then you personalise it to your own region and taste using the remote control channel editing option, or do it in dreamset or dreamboxedit before loading it in

I find doing it onscreen is best as you are testing and moving channels about "on the fly" - in real time , checking as you go (usually checking each channel ident is the correct ident)

its not plug and play , its user input and alter to suit your own tastes , no 2 boxes will be the same

try the latest catseye list, see if you are happy with that one , because you would not use a 5 month old telly guide to see what is on the telly tonight !!

ps:- I know you posted in the sticky thread which is why I moved all the posts into a thread of your very own and edited post 1 and added the link
    Many thanks for moving the post.
    and thank you for the detailed explanation of the system. It helped a lot.

I'm going to have a play around with the catseye list and see if i can tailor it to my needs i think I am maybe hung up on channel numbers as per sky and have to accept that you simply need to select the channel from the bouquet of the epg.

I plan to have a play around with this over the next few days but i'm sure i may a few questions as i am learning my way around this.
    again many thanks for the advice

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonmarkwright For This Useful Post:

echelon (12-01-2017)

Thanks
    A couple of simple questions typical newbie questions:

1. when i add a channel list to the receiver via the dreambox editor - does it overwrite whats currently on the receiver or do i need to delete it off the receiver first before adding a channel list. Its just i want to add the catseye list but don't want the sky uk one also on there. I assume if i want to keep whats on the box you would need to click the button which collects the list from the receiver and then add to that and then send back to receiver but if you want to simply overwrite the current list you simply send a new list.

2. I appreciate that these channel lists change quite frequently in one way or another and require replacing once an update is available and people who work on these channel lists are kind enough to do this for everyone. But how do people go about updating these list if they have tailored the list to suit them as obviously the update would overwrite there changes.

Thanks
    1) yes any new channel list written from a pc or laptop to the receiver will OVERWRITE the previous list that was in there (which I did mention earlier)

No you do not need to delete the old one off the receiver

yes I suppose you could extract the list from the receiver and add to it and write it back (I have never tried this but you would assume it can be done by an experienced editor user)

2) yes they do , as transponder details can and do change daily, which is why you should check king of sat or lyng sat for daily changes (or whenever you need to check , even if its weekly or monthly , or when a channel fails)

I use manual scan to add these changes to my box , then add them to the bouquet using the remote control in the onscreen channel editor and move them around , then delete the old ones that no longer work

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    1) yes any new channel list written from a pc or laptop to the receiver will OVERWRITE the previous list that was in there (which I did mention earlier)

No you do not need to delete the old one off the receiver

yes I suppose you could extract the list from the receiver and add to it and write it back (I have never tried this but you would assume it can be done by an experienced editor user)

2) yes they do , as transponder details can and do change daily, which is why you should check king of sat or lyng sat for daily changes (or whenever you need to check , even if its weekly or monthly , or when a channel fails)

I use manual scan to add these changes to my box , then add them to the bouquet using the remote control in the onscreen channel editor and move them around , then delete the old ones that no longer work
    When you say you use a manual scan do you mean you manually scan all the 28.2 freq and identify the new channel and replace it in the bouquet or can you somehow scan literally for one channel?

i have a another small thing that bugs me. probably just something im missing. when i press tv on the remote to bring up the bouquets if i select one, say entertainment for instance, if i then change my mind and want to access another bouquet, sports, do i have to press exit and then tv again or is there a back button somewhere that im missing.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    You haven't mentioned what receiver you have, or the image you have loaded.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

echelon (14-01-2017)

Thanks
    you cannot manually scan for a single channel, but you can use the MANUAL SCAN option on a sat receiver to add the transponder details located from those other websites, put them into the onscreen sections and press the correct button for scanning , this will then scan the transponder and any changes or additions will be added to the receiver list

then you add them from the main list to the bouquet of your choice , then move them into position as they will appear at the bottom of the bouquet you added them to

on my box you press the DOWN ARROW to get the bouquet options list up , then a coloured button will decide which of the options you may want , like the blue button for example

as mickha says above, it may vary according to box and image but the basics will be the same or similar

18. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Jonmarkwright (18-01-2017)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    On my VU+, running blackhole, I just have to press two buttons, to the right of the centre controls, + and -, which shifts through all the bouquets channel lists, on all satellites, without having to navigate through the Bouquets themselves.
    But there are also other options, like pressing the blue button, when in the channel list, to bring up the Bouquets.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

echelon (14-01-2017), Jonmarkwright (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Sorry for the late reply but only just got round to getting time to manipulating some things on the box. Thank you both above for the advice. My box is is the vu+solo 2 the image is VIX.
    I didn't try the blue button as this indicated favorites on the screen so i assumed this took you to the favorites folder but it actually takes you back to the bouquets main menu.