Thread: Celebrity Deaths in 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts

Celebrity Deaths in 2016

January

Starman, the voice of radio and Hans Gruber

Music legend David Bowie died from cancer three days after releasing his 25th studio album, Blackstar. We also lost broadcaster Sir Terry Wogan, actor Alan Rickman and The Eagles frontman Glenn Frey.

February

To Kill a Mockingbird author Harper Lee died in February. Her 1960 novel about a child's eye view of racial injustice in a fictional Alabama town in the 1930s became standard reading for millions of young people.

Frank Kelly - best known for playing the character of Father Jack in the comedy Father Ted - died in the same month.

March

Comedian Ronnie Corbett, famous for his TV partnership with Ronnie Barker, died in March, surrounded by his family.

Magician Paul Daniels, Beatles producer George Martin, Coronation Street creator Tony Warren, legendary footballer Johan Cruyff and Emerson, Lake and Palmer founder and keyboard player Keith Emerson also passed away.

April

Prince was found unresponsive and alone in an elevator at his complex in Paisley Park, Minnesota, in April. He died of an accidental overdose.

Comedian and actress Victoria Wood also died in April at her home in London. In a statement, her older brother Chris said her death "has robbed us of one of the brightest talents of our generation".

We also said goodbye to reality TV star and music producer David Gest, and agony aunt Denise Robertson.

May

TV writer Carla Lane, who was behind a number of sitcoms including Bread, Butterflies and the Liver Birds, died in May, as did actor Burt Kwouk, who was best known for playing Inspector Clouseau's manservant Cato Fong in the Pink Panther films.

June

Boxing legend Muhammad Ali passed away in June. The three-time world heavyweight champion had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1984, three years after he retired from the sport.

Also in June, Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin died in a freak accident after becoming pinned between his own car and a brick mailbox at his home in Los Angeles.

July

The comedian, writer and actress Caroline Aherne - famous for The Mrs Merton Show and The Royle Family - died in July.

August

Comedy legend Gene Wilder, who starred in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, died in August.

We also mourned Kenny Baker, who played R2-D2 in the Star Wars film franchise.

September

Golf legend Arnold Palmer, who won seven majors, passed away in September.

He drew thousands of fans to the game in the 1950s and 1960s and his keen fan base earned the moniker "Arnie's Army".

October

Jean Alexander, who played Hilda Ogden in Coronation Street, died in October.

We also lost Dad's Army and Hi-de-Hi! writer Jimmy Perry in the same month, along with American singer Bobby Vee - known for Rubber Ball and Take Good Care of My Baby.

Dead or Alive singer and former Celebrity Big Brother star Pete Burns also died after suffering a cardiac arrest, aged 57.

November

Andrew Sachs, best known for his role as Manuel in Fawlty Towers, died in November.

Singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen also passed away, along with the actor Robert Vaughn, Brady Bunch actress Florence Henderson and broadcaster Sir Jimmy Young.

December

Actress Zsa Zsa Gabor died in December. She starred in dozens of films and TV shows, but was perhaps better known for her love life, having married nine times.

Rock superstar Greg Lake also passed away in December, as did Sunday Times critic AA Gill, Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt and actor Peter Vaughan, who appeared as Harry 'Grouty' Grout in TV sitcom Porridge and as Maester Aemon in Game of Thrones.

On Christmas Eve, Liz Smith, who played Nana in The Royle Family and eccentric baker Letitia Cropley in The Vicar Of Dibley, died at the age of 95

On Christmas Day the world lost another pop icon, George Michael.

Carrie Fisher, best known for playing Princess Leia in Star Wars, died on December 27, four days after suffering a heart attack on a flight from London to Los Angeles. Just over a day later her mother, actress Debbie Reynolds, also passed away.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

2colby (30-12-2016), Barney (31-12-2016), BOOGIBEAR (30-12-2016), Dark Cloud (30-12-2016), Detlef (30-12-2016), echelon (30-12-2016), holmroad (30-12-2016), Nikkas (30-12-2016), oaktye (30-12-2016), traveller (30-12-2016), trotwood (30-12-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Yes sir, WHAT a tragic year for 'star' deaths - can't remember another one like it in all my years!
    RIP All - thanks Aldo for such a comprehensive, if very sad, list!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to holmroad For This Useful Post:

Aldo (30-12-2016), Nikkas (30-12-2016)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Also RIP to all those"unkown" people, the soldiers, the cancer victims and those involved in accidents, amongst the many others.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to scrupples For This Useful Post:

BW12 (31-12-2016)

Thanks
    2016 will go down in history as the year that sucked as it was also the year when Disney killed Han Solo!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmroad View Post
    Yes sir, WHAT a tragic year for 'star' deaths - can't remember another one like it in all my years!
    RIP All - thanks Aldo for such a comprehensive, if very sad, list!
    Hi M8

I did not compile that very sad list, I just copy/pasted the info from the following:

hxxp://news.sky.com/story/celebrity-deaths-the-big-names-mourned-in-2016-10704173

I just hope that there are no further late departures.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

echelon (30-12-2016), holmroad (30-12-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkas View Post
    2016 will go down in history as the year that sucked as it was also the year when Disney killed Han Solo!
    wasnt that film 2015

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,863 Times in 2,251 Posts
    I make that 41 in total

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    The BBC has a similar revue:

_http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38418802

I guess it all depends on who is classified as a "celebrity".

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,239 Posts
    Not so much a celebrity as the loss of talent that I will miss. It is going to be a greyer world without them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to traveller For This Useful Post:

Aldo (30-12-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    [QUOTE=Aldo;959412]Hi M8

I did not compile that very sad list, I just copy/pasted the info from the following:

hxxp://news.sky.com/story/celebrity

Yes mate, but YOU were still the first to post it on HERE!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by traveller View Post
    Not so much a celebrity as the loss of talent that I will miss. It is going to be a greyer world without them.
    But most have probably done their best work and that is not lost as it is still there on CDs, DVDs and other archives.

Although there are a few who died far, far too soon. I have often wondered how Buddy Holly would have developed as he was very creative during his short career.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Detlef For This Useful Post:

Aldo (30-12-2016), echelon (30-12-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    a lot more interesting people in this list here too

_http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38418802

I remember the guy in Mr ED

19. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (31-12-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Detlef View Post
    But most have probably done their best work and that is not lost as it is still there on CDs, DVDs and other archives.

Although there are a few who died far, far too soon. I have often wondered how Buddy Holly would have developed as he was very creative during his short career.
    But we can't see any live performances. I went to O2 for Monty Python first night and for me the out takes were just as funny as the script, 20,000 of us laughing and it wasn't the one that was recorded, only in my memory.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to traveller For This Useful Post:

echelon (31-12-2016)