Thread: Rick Parfitt dies at 68

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts

Rick Parfitt dies at 68

Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt dies in hospital in Spain at 68

The rock veteran passed away 'following complications to a shoulder injury', his manager and family said in a statement.

Status Quo's Rick Parfitt has died in hospital in Spain after suffering a severe infection, his manager has said.

The 68-year-old guitarist had been taken to hospital in Marbella on Thursday, "following complications to a shoulder injury".

The ******-born musician had recently pulled out of a Status Quo tour after suffering a heart attack in the summer.

At the time his manager, Simon Porter, said Parfitt had "died" for several minutes, and the episode had affected him mentally.

There had been health concerns for years. In 1997, Parfitt underwent quadruple heart bypass surgery following decades of touring with the band.

Nevertheless, he still enjoyed the "odd pint" and said he would not be becoming a "born-again Christian".

His manager and family said in a statement: "We are truly devastated to have to announce that Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt has passed away at lunchtime today.

"He died in hospital in Marbella, Spain as a result of a severe infection, having been admitted to hospital on Thursday evening following complications to a shoulder injury incurred by a previous fall.

"This tragic news comes at a time when Rick was hugely looking forward to launching a solo career with an album and autobiography planned for 2017 following his departure from Status Quo's touring activities on medical advice.

"He will be sorely missed by his family, friends, fellow band members, management, crew and his dedicated legion of fans from throughout the world, gained through 50 years of monumental success with Status Quo.

"Rick is survived by his wife Lyndsay, their twins Tommy and Lily and Rick's ***** children Rick Jnr and Harry.

"No further comment will be made at this time and Rick's family, and the band, ask for their privacy to be respected at this difficult time."

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

BOOGIBEAR (24-12-2016), DCG (24-12-2016), echelon (25-12-2016), holmroad (25-12-2016), JMH (24-12-2016), saintomer1866 (24-12-2016), trotwood (24-12-2016), wolfgang (24-12-2016)

Thanks
    very sad news .Only seen the quo once in 1984 on there farewell tour.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Gutted :( Saw them on Monday, minus Rick of course, wasn't the same without his incessant strumming, probably the time for the band to retire now methinks.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    R.I.P. Rick I was a fan when I was alive.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to maurice For This Useful Post:

BOOGIBEAR (24-12-2016)

Thanks
    Playing "RAIN" as I type.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Absolute star man - star group - was said Status Quo one of best live groups EVER!!

Yet ANOTHER star dies in 2016 - getting serious now?

RIP Rick Parfitt.