Thread: Motorising TM5402HD M3 CI Super+

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

Motorising TM5402HD M3 CI Super+

Just got this, still in the box. I had previously used an Echostar 3000IP. It's still okay for moving the dish but other problems with it. Can it be used with the TM5402 or if not what should I get to move my dish please? I'm not very techy and not delved into satellite for a while. Forgotten most of what folk on here had helped me with in the past so excuse the multitude of follow up queries that might arrive. :( Many thanks.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pibip98 View Post
    Just got this, still in the box. I had previously used an Echostar 3000IP. It's still okay for moving the dish but other problems with it. Can it be used with the TM5402 or if not what should I get to move my dish please? I'm not very techy and not delved into satellite for a while. Forgotten most of what folk on here had helped me with in the past so excuse the multitude of follow up queries that might arrive. :( Many thanks.
    you can still use the echostar to move the dish or use a v box to convert the diseqc command to 36v for the technomate if you keep the echostar the technomate will need a cable from the dish to the receiver or i suppose you could use the 1 connected to the echo as you would have the sats stored into menu of the echo there is also the loopthrough option the technomate does not have a direct 36v output also depending on the dish used a diseqc motor could also be used so you have a few options
    Last edited by satwyn; 04-11-2016 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pibip98 View Post
    Assume you can insert your map location (N & W) in M3 Satellite set up mate and use USALS as I do on mine?
    (Also assume that's what you did with your trusty EchoStar anyway?)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,403 Posts
    It depends on the motor, if it's a 36v motor, 4 wires, Motor +, Motor -, ground and pulse, then USALS will not work, only Diseqc 1.2 and a V-BoxII.
    The Echostars were great, with the 36v motor, and large dishes, I still have my Echostar 3600 stored somewhere.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi In my opinion the best motor today is the TM2600.. i have installed lots of these motors ..Very easy to intall and also very accurate once you lined it up on the first satellite correctly. Not familiar with these Vboxes so cannot pass judgement on them. Happy motoring.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    A 36v motor is a heavy duty motor, designed for large dishes, 1.2M and over.
    It connects using 4 wires, Motor +, Motor -, Pulse & Ground, which then connect into a positioner, in this case a V-BoxII, this then connects to a receiver, using normal co-ax cable, and allows you to use your receiver, to move the dish, using Diseqc 1.2 commands.
    I'm not sure a TM2600 motor could handle the weight, and wind shear, of such a large dish.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi. The newer TM2600 motor can handle dish sizes up to 1.4m but again it depends on the weight of the dish rather than the size. Older dishes tended to be a lot more heavier than todays ones. The motor connects to the receiver using one cable and supports both 1.2 and USALS protocol.. Regards.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    The Echostar will still move my dish which is very old now. Every 6 months I've been up the ladder oiling and greasing it so little rust etc on the important bits. My Echostar no longer stores channels on each satellite, just one lot which is transferred to each satellite but I needed a new box anyway. I would probably use it to move my dish still but the wiring to enable me to view the list of satellites is going to be a problem for me.

Is there a way to enable the Echostar satellite list to be viewed, move to that satellite and then switch to watching channels on the technomate? The tv is only about 3 years old and lots of connections so maybe will be trial and error to get it if it's possible. I have a freeview box which records things in the set up too. I will research v boxes and if the wiring is simple and it can work simultaneously with the Technomate, that might be the best option.

Thanks very much to all who have replied or given this some thought. I may reply individually once I've fathomed things out I will let all know what happens once I have hopefully sorted it

V.I.P
    Thanks
    The wiring, on the V-Box II, is exactly the same as the Echostar, I switched from using my Echostar 3600, to first a spiderbox 9000HD, then a VU+ Duo 2, and the V-Box II.
    The V-Box II has 4 wire connectors, same as the Echostar, LNB in, and LNB out, the cable, from your dish, goes to LNB in, then a short cable from the LNB out, on the V-Box II, to your receiver.
    You should also be able to run a scart lead, from your Echostar 3000, to your TV, then use the input select to switch from scart, to HDMI, scart when viewing your Echostar, HDMI when viewing your receiver.
    I also switched to a twin LNB, 2 outputs, on my motorized dish, to make use of the dual tuners, on my VU+ Duo 2.
    Make sure you label each wire, from your motor, or just a large label stating where each colour is connected, e.g. Red = Motor +, Black = Motor -, White = Pulse, Blue = Ground, so that you don't get the connections wrong. Mixing up Ground, and Pulse, can cause real problems.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

Barney (05-11-2016)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Thanks very much Mick. I had made a diagram when I wired up the Echostar as knew I would get mixed up, just like you anticipated Will keep it handy. Going to have a go soon

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    After a bit of tweaking with cables etc, I've been able to view the Techno mate and switch to the Echostar should I need to move the dish. Don't know about all of the Technomates features and benefits yet but hopefully soon. Thanks for all who have helped but knowing me, it's probably not the last piece of advice I will need. Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,249 Times in 2,030 Posts
    i have a 2 meter prime focus dish
    my Technomate TM5402 M3 will easily move my Dish via my Technomate V-Box
    I FAIL TO SEE THE NEED FOR Echostar Reciever if your already using a V-box
    Cheers !

Thanks
    TBH, I do agree with Barney - why take the "long and hard" route when there is a more convenient and easier route (providing you can get a reliable "V-box" , and that seems to be an often chancy option from what I have read elsewhere) ?

FWIW, I had a Superjack V-box but sold it because I don't, and can't have, a dish big enough dish to warrant using it with my old TM with a 36V positioner o/p.
    Last edited by jallen01; 11-11-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,249 Times in 2,030 Posts
    Technomate V-Box is reliable enuff i have 2 of them 1 for my 2m Dish and another for my 1.2M Channel master
    i will admit one of my V-boxes did stop working but that was due to a lightning strike in 2012
    other V-box survied and still going strong since 2007... so 9 years and counting cant be all that bad i dont think ?
    well surpassed the 1 year warranty offered on both V-boxes already
    Superjack V-box is good too .

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    I might investigate V boxes. I tend to just view a small number of satellites so it's been okay with the Echostar so far but agree with the points made thanks.