Thread: Russia GPS jammers.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,600 Times in 1,242 Posts

Russia GPS jammers.

Russia installing GPS jammers on cellphone towers

A worrying report by OEWatch, a newsletter published by The Foreign Military Studies Office (FMSO) at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, notes that Russia is buying up large quantities of GPS jamming devices which are being installed on cellphone masts in the country.

The report suggests this is part of preparation for a possible conflict and it presumes the deployment is being undertaken in an effort to thwart GPS guided munitions such as cruise missiles.

Now that they have got GLONASS up and running just wonder if it will block theirs as well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to traveller For This Useful Post:

gman (21-10-2016)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    I'm one for free speech dude and although this is a valid question, it sort of breaks the "don't discuss politics" rule we have here. I am sure Russia takes the defense of it's country very seriously (Just as every other country does), and if they feel the need to install GPS Jammers as some sort of anti missile defense, who is any other country to say they shouldn't when most others have some sort of missile defense system? (Especially us here in the west).

Also missiles don't just use GPS - they use Lasers and radar and most likely some classified technology as well, and the reality is that - if some state like Russia teamed up with China & Turkey for example and wanted to start WW3 - we would most likely be looking at millions of deaths and infrastructure destruction at the very least. So as much as GPS would be broken, we wouldn't be worrying too much about needing to use our satnavs as they won't be much use at that point.
    Last edited by mrdude; 21-10-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks
    I wasn't at any point being political just pointing out that on another well known SatNav forum they posted the above, with the last line added by me. It never occurred to me that someone would think that it was. Have a look at all my 2000 + posts you won't find any deliberate politically motivated views, never have and won't.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts
    All post seem fine to me AT THE MOMENT

ive heard Robbie Williams has been banned from Russia due to his new song , so you're prob on their banned list as well Mr Traveller

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

traveller (21-10-2016)

Thanks
    A number of years ago my Son went to Moscow to support England and the Russians held the English supporters confined in the stadium for Four hours. Most missed their flights home, not a happy bunch all sitting there in minus 15 deg C. So He said that would be the last time he would go anywhere near Russia.