Thread: Help with motor

Thanks

Help with motor

Hi guys, could someone help me. My manhattan hh120 must have gone passed the limits. It's stopped about 65 degrees and won't move. I have tried one or two things but no luck. If anybody fancies a challenge I am just off the m1 junct30 and the dish is at ground level.
    Cheers

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi How old is the motor and does it have a light and is it showing.?? Is the cable ok from receiver ie is there power in the cable if there is then light will be on if motor has one. What are you using to move the dish USALS or 1.2?? Can you move dish manually from receiver menu. - what receiver do you have.. I am in London so dont think i am near you maybe someone else might be able to help you ... Regards

Thanks
    Hi, Thanks for reply. The motor is about 10 yrs old. It doesn't have a light on and I'm using USALS. I can't move the dish at all. I have a spiderbox. This week I've had it hooked up to an open box which I forgot to set the limits on so it looks like the motor has maxed out and its stuck on about 65east and won't move. The cables and everything are ok.
    Cheers

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Hi Ok so we assume that cables are ok then you can try the following:
    1) Switch box off and on and see if it resets itself.

2) Press the SAT button on remote and select a satellite to go in the opposite direction ie if motor is stuck on 65 west then send it to a east satellite like 28.2
    3) See if you can delete limits in motor menu or send it to a satellite in USALS menu.

To be honest if motor is 10 years old it may be time for a new one if you cant get it to work.

Regards.

Thanks
    Hi will give it a go thanks.
    No luck m8 .
    Motor either gone or stuck and won't reset.
    Thanks for trying.
    Last edited by cameraman; 16-10-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Update

Verified Registered User Mobley2's Avatar
    Thanks
    Have you tried re-setting the Motor manually? If I remember correctly there should be small pin holes on the bottom of the motor,
    press,and hold in for a minute or so, you may possibly have burned out the board in the motor, this is what happened with my Stab motor,
    and I think the Manhattan is similar.

regards mobley2

Thanks
    @Mobley2 will give it a whirl.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Hi tried resetting the motor manually no luck .
    It looks like the motor could be blown eh-ho
    Thanks for your help guys.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Since the motor is that old, and you have now driven it right to the end of its travel to the E, could you have driven the motor mechanism to a point where the rotating parts (not sure how these things are built inside) no longer have any lubrication because that has completely dried out - that would be especially true if there is a lot of old grease in there because that stuff sets virtually solid if left undisturbed for a long time. That would result in a lot of "stiction" when you tried to drive it back again, and that may be more than the actual electric motor can overcome.

Maybe, if you could take the external cover off, you could spray some penetrating fluid/WD40/whatever into the gear assemblies - although I might also try some mild solvent, like Isopropyl alcohol (AKA "IPA", or "tape head cleaner" from my cassette recorder days!), before that to loosen/clean things up first?

Thanks
    @jallen,thanks certainly worth a try m8.

Thanks
    PS: you can easily get pure IPA from C_P_C (remove the underscores, and search for them in G**gle), and we always keep a good supply available because it is very useful for a whole lot of other jobs like degreasing "things", stain removal from fabric, removing stubborn stains on your fingers and removing the adhesive left when you pull old plasters off, and so on (and my wife agrees with me because it has helped her sort things out quite a few times ).

PS: "Tape head cleaner" is IPA diluted with water, and so pure IPA would be a lot more "effective".

PPS: the spray version would do for what I suggested for the motor (more probably the gearbox part of it) earlier, but the 1l can of liquid is more economical for general jobs and lasts a lot longer.
    Last edited by jallen01; 16-10-2016 at 11:04 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jallen01 For This Useful Post:

cameraman (16-10-2016)

Thanks
    I think you will find if you take the case of over the drive gears you will find you have driven the motor over the cogs what you need to do is strip it down and put it back on the cogs by hand