Thread: Advice on new box with multiple satellites

Thanks

Advice on new box with multiple satellites

Hi all,

Complete novice here needing some advice and assistance. Am currently using a crappy icecrypt S1600hd box to be able to watch UK, European and Italian/Middle Eastern TV with gift so I have 3lnbs on one 90cm dish feeding down to the one box. The UI on the icecrypt is rubbish so I was thinking to invest in a new box where I could possibly get skins similar to sly so I can view the epg and potentially record stuff too. I'm also annoyed that I can't receive French channels when all others come through.

I have been looking at Vu+ boxes which appear to be the best around albeit a bit pricey and apparently let you stream from your phone too (that was the clincher for me)! I just wouldn't know which to go for that would allow me to view from my satellite feeds and/or record from them and how I can enter lines etc plus get the French channels to work. If you can suggest better boxes or other ones that allow to stream to a phone too, that would be great. Further advice would always be welcome too.

Thanks vm in advance.
    Ant

Banned
    Thanks
    well its up to u the new solo 4k box is out at gold wafers or u could go for the duo2 both box s can befitted with a hard drive I would recommend u go for a motorised dish u will have a lot more channels to watch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jag123 View Post
    well its up to u the new solo 4k box is out at gold wafers or u could go for the duo2 both box s can befitted with a hard drive I would recommend u go for a motorised dish u will have a lot more channels to watch
    Thanks for that. I already have the foreign channels I need coming in with my fixed dish, I had the installation guy use a bar and the lnbs are pointing at the right satellites. The only issue for me is on 19.2 where the French channels are not working. I have a european line to enable German sly and Spanish TV to work but French TV eludes me. I also wondered whether a single tuner box would allow me to be able to switch between satellites and how the channel bouquets/lists/epg would appear. I think the interface is my key factor here. Any help on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    single tuner (or multiple tuner) boxes have diseqc switching capabilities so can easily operate a diseqc switch that is connected to your various lnb,s

so almost any modern sat box can do what you want

multiple tuner boxes are useful if you have twin lnb,s or quads or a separate motor etc , especially for recording more than one channel, or watching one channel and recording another

you wont beat the VU boxes for 24/7 epg data , images and channel lists , they all have diseqc switching as standard and can all accept internet "lines" and are easily accessed over the lan from a windows based pc

the choice is yours to make but you wont beat the vu range, unless you want a single tuner box like the hitech bespoke unit ?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

antfa001 (21-06-2016), jag123 (21-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanks for that echelon! Very handy to know. So if my thinking is right, I need two lnbs pointing to one satellite in order to enable recording and watching on the same satellite? Say I wanted to record from one lnb and watch another pointing to another satellite? Is that possible with my current set-up? i.e. recording UK tv while watching Spanish tv. Also, i'm guessing images is what gives the box its user interface. Is it possible to have multiple 'images' that suit each satellite provider for example? Sorry for all the questions, just hungry to learn. Want to set this one up at my parents place then go whole hog on a 4k multi satellite, multi recording master system at mine...ideally with a capability to stream to my phone when at work.

Thanks
    if a dish is pointing at a single satellite like say 28.2e, then its not more than one lnb, its a single twin or quad or octo lnb , like sly use on their sly plus systems (I have an octo on mine) , so one lnb with either one , two , four or eight outputs

for alternative satellites its multiple choices dependent on location , dish size , and fixed dish or motorised dish

in theory you would have a fixed dish (or motorised dish) pointed at the satellite containing spanish tv, so at either 19e or 30w for example

if satellites are close together you can use an lnb rack with a few lnb,s on it and down through a diseqc switch to the box tuner, you can see explanations and examples of this in the dish forum (and lnb forum) here on pimps as its been discussed many times in the past

so for example, a bigger dish with say the following sats

28.2e , 19e and 13e is a popular choice , where you might have a twin or quad lnb on the 28.2e and single output lnb,s on the other two options

on a vu box you could load an image like openBH into the flash and have multiple images on a rear mounted usb stick , like mine have, so yes it is possible if thats what you want on a vu for example (using multiboot)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

antfa001 (26-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanks again for the advice. After discussing it with the family, I think I will be going for the vu+ zero but wondered which image i should have flashed on it to get the best user interfaces, switch between satellites and add lines. I have the choice of Blackhole, Vix, VTi, ATV, PLi. Which would you recommend to be able to get the different skins for each satellite and how big a usb would I need to get on all the channel bouquet/skins? Thanks

Thanks
    I dont understand the skins part, but any image will do the job and its all down to personal preference , just like owning a car is

they all do a job , the same job , but ask 10 people which car to buy and you will get 10 different answers and I certaionly will not tell anyone which image to use, its try them and see which you prefer

as for usb sticks , I always recommend the small black ones of between 8 and 32 gig , typically a 16 gig one like I have given the details on in other threads on here in the last couple of years (possibly kingston 16 gig ?)

if you install a multiboot image like openBH , you can have each of the other images on the stick , plus picons and also store epg data too, so in that case 16gig or 32gig will do the job

lines are put into the emus , not the images, so the images are irrelevant as far as lines are concerned

all the images can switch between satellites in the exact same manner , using diseqc switching, so no difference there either

11. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

jag123 (28-06-2016)