Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dodgy LNB?

Verified Registered User MysteryMan's Avatar
    Thanks

Dodgy LNB?

A few weeks ago I replaced my previous Vu+ Solo with a Solo2.

It is connected to a motorised dish, with single feed and the box has OpenVix firmware.

All was well until yesterday when I noticed that a whole load of Sky channels were coming up "Tune Failed". I did a scan of 28.2 and only found about 350 channels and all Sky Sports channels, apart from Sky Sports 2, were missing.

As an experiment, I connected a feed from my Sky dish and did another scan - this time it pulled in 900+ channels, including the Sky Sports ones.

Switching back to the motorised dish feed and doing another scan - it reverted to missing a load of channels. I remade the F-connection, but, that made no difference.

My diagnosis is that the LNB is failing - does this seem reasonable or could there be other causes?

I am a million miles from being an expert and would appreciate other, more knowledgeable opinions, please

Verified Registered User Mobley2's Avatar
    Thanks
    Are all of the missing channels on the same polarisation? ie. V or H, if so then this would
    certainly suggest a faulty Lnb. As the lost channels are coming in on the Sly dish, then that should rule out the possibility of the Lnb settings being set wrong on the Solo 2. Did you try re-connecting your old VU to see what the situation was
    re the missing channels ?

regards mobley2
    Last edited by Mobley2; 13-03-2016 at 06:23 PM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Did you check your signal quality readings, from both dishes, to compare them?
    Can you please post a few channel details, name, frequency, polarity, S/R (Symbol Rate), and the signal quality readings.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 854 Posts
    It would be a good idea that you do what has already been suggested but this may also help.

Lastweek I had problems with some higher frequencies over 11700on Astra 19.2 east and hotbird they were fluctuating all the time but mainly on 0.The lnb was a Black Ultra quad 3 years old so I swapped it for an old one I have and all is now fine. I have never had this happen before.
    Can you try another lnb?
    I dont know where you are but I have read that in places like Spain because of the heat lnb's can fail quickly. I now believe it because I have only been in Spain for 3years. The lnb I have on now is 10years old, wonder how many months it will last here?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobley2 View Post
    Are all of the missing channels on the same polarisation? ie. V or H, if so then this would
    certainly suggest a faulty Lnb. As the lost channels are coming in on the Sly dish, then that should rule out the possibility of the Lnb settings being set wrong on the Solo 2. Did you try re-connecting your old VU to see what the situation was
    re the missing channels ?

regards mobley2
    I just ran DreamBoxEdit and retrieved all 28.2 channels from box - they were ALL Vertical....not a H in sight!!!!!

This is pointing to the Lnb failing/failed, yes?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Most likely the LNB, which is the cheapest component to change, and check.

Thanks
    Yes indeed, time to invest in a new Lnb. My personal recommendation would be the
    Inverto Black Ultra.

regards mobley2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobley2 View Post
    Yes indeed, time to invest in a new Lnb. My personal recommendation would be the
    Inverto Black Ultra.

regards mobley2
    Thanks.

Can't decide whether to have a go myself or call someone in. Guess I'm afraid of buying the wrong LNB and/or one with wrong fixing. Do they have different ways to attach to arm of dish and do they need adjusting once fitted or do the fixings ensure it lines up the same as old one?

I can see me buying one and then still calling someone out!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan View Post
    Thanks.

Can't decide whether to have a go myself or call someone in. Guess I'm afraid of buying the wrong LNB and/or one with wrong fixing. Do they have different ways to attach to arm of dish and do they need adjusting once fitted or do the fixings ensure it lines up the same as old one?

I can see me buying one and then still calling someone out!!!
    It is no bad thing to have a go yourself, keeping in mind, health and safety. ie ease of access to the Dish and where it is located.
    It is a good way to learn something about your system. If it means hanging off the end of a ladder to get at the Lnb, then maybe
    best left to someone with experience. If you do decide to try it then an 11mm spanner, for the F connector and a Posi 1 screwdriver for the screws holding the top of the Lnb clamp will help, as it is a Motorised Dish then the Lnb would be fitted completely vertical,as no skew is needed.do not fully tighten the clamp when you connect it all back up, as moving the Lnb, forward or backward in the clamp may gain you some signal. this is best tested when you switch the system back on and check your signal level, it ensures that you are illuminating the full dish surface, without going over the rim of the dish and adding noise. When you are happy that everything is good then tighten everything, and seal up the F connector with some self amalgamating tape.sorry if this has got a little long winded, and I wish you good luck. You should make sure to have the Stb switched off, before you disconnect anything, to avoid any possibility of a short. PS. you can use any Standard Ku band Lnb. my recommendation is just the one I have found to be the best. It will probably be a 40mm neck on the Lnb, although some come with a 23mm collar so you may need to check this before ordering one. I am presuming that your dish is Offset ie. oval rather than circular, if it is circular with a centre feed Lnb then you will need a Flange type Lnb, which is a little more difficult to fit, and also usually more expensive.

regards mobley2
    Last edited by Mobley2; 14-03-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    @ MysteryMan,
    If you know what dish you have or current lnb someone one here will be able to help this would make things a bit easier for you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nml View Post
    @ MysteryMan,
    If you know what dish you have or current lnb someone one here will be able to help this would make things a bit easier for you.
    Afraid I don't know, but, will take some pictures tomorrow and post them to see if that helps.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks MysteryMan once you do that we should be able to advise you. Then have a chat with our sponser Goldwafers to obtain a new lnb at a good price.
    Good luck, but be safe if you are on a ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan View Post
    Afraid I don't know, but, will take some pictures tomorrow and post them to see if that helps.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks MysteryMan once you do that we should be able to advise you. Then have a chat with our sponser Goldwafers to obtain a new lnb at a good price.
    Good luck, but be safe if you are on a ladder.
    Thanks. Yes, it is a bit tricky as over conservatory!!!! I shall do an exploratory climb and see if I feel safe before going any further.

Hopefully, photos sometime tomorrow

Thanks
    OK, I have taken some photos and uploaded to PhotoBucket __http://s670.photobucket.com/user/MysteryMan2/library/Sat%20Dish

Hope they are useful to someone to identify what I need and whether this is a DIY job or I need to call in the professionals.

A few more details.....I live in North West England and use the dish to watch satellites from 1W to 28.2E

Thanks
    Last edited by nml; 16-03-2016 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Live link not allowed.

Thanks
    Looking at the setup, I think you might be better calling in someone. I do not know the make of dish, and I also have never seen what looks
    like a monoblock Lnb on a motorised dish.

regards mobley2

Thanks
    I am moving this to the LNB discussion section because I think that you will get better results from our members. It does look like a monoblock but with only one cable attached and it does look very old. May be time for an update dish and lnb.

Thanks
    I am moving this to the LNB discussion section because I think that you will get better results from our members. It does look like a monoblock but with only one cable attached and it does look very old. May be time for an update dish and lnb.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    OK, I will take your suggestion on board and treat myself to a new dish and LNB.

It will be attached to a motor with vertical pole - actually, the pole is slightly off vertical - is that normal?

Are there any dishes/LNBs that are the ones to go for?

Also, where is a good place to buy? I looked on Goldwafers, but, could not see any dishes for sale.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    the pole as got to be perfect not off a bit its got to be perfect get a spirit level until its perfect don't carry on

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by den123 View Post
    the pole as got to be perfect not off a bit its got to be perfect get a spirit level until its perfect don't carry on
    Well, the current system has been working fine for past 10+ years, so, I am sort of hoping the pole is aligned correctly!

Just at the moment it is pointing at 28.2E, whicj it was for the photos, and doesn't look to be vertical. In fact it is off by quite a way (maybe, 15-20 degrees) - is this normal?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast