Thread: Martin Crowe dies aged 53

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts

Martin Crowe dies aged 53

New Zealand cricket legend Martin Crowe dies aged 53

Last Updated: 03/03/16 7:29am

Former New Zealand cricket captain Martin Crowe has died aged 53 after a long battle with cancer.

"It is with heavy hearts that the family of Martin Crowe, MBE advise his death," read a family statement.

"Diagnosed in September 2014 with terminal double-hit lymphoma, he passed away peacefully today, Thursday, March 3, in Auckland surrounded by family." The statement was headed 'God Speed. Rest in Peace'.

Widely regarded as New Zealand's finest batsman, Crowe played 77 Tests between 1982 and 1995, scoring 5,444 runs at an average of 45.36.

The elegant right-hander also scored 4,704 runs at an average of 38.55 in one-day internationals. In a first-class career of 247 matches, including a spell in county cricket with Somerset, he scored 71 centuries and 19,608 runs.

In his retirement, Crowe devised a new ultra-short form of the game called Cricket Max for his new employer Sky Television in New Zealand, which helped lay the foundation for the modern Twenty20 revolution.

New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White paid tribute to Crowe's contribution to the game.

"It's incredibly sad and hard to believe he has been taken from us so early," White said. "Our hearts go out to his family and close friends.

"Over the next few days and weeks we will celebrate his life and outstanding contribution to New Zealand and world cricket."

New Zealand Primer Minister John Key said: "Martin was a truly great sportsman - one of our finest-ever batsmen and sharpest cricketing minds."

Tributes for the Auckland-born right-hander also flooded in from around the world after his death was announced in New Zealand.

Former New Zealand Test captain Stephen Fleming wrote on Twitter: "Very sad to hear of the passing of Martin Crowe this morning. An inspiration to me and so many others. One of our true greats. RIP hogan."

While Fleming's team-mate Scott Styris wrote: "So sad to hear news of Martin Crowe passing away. For those of us who grew up watching cricket in the 80s, we owe him immensely."

Former New Zealand all-rounder Chris Cairns said: "I will miss him dearly as over the last couple of years there were messages of encouragement between us both as we battled our own demons. His situation however, always put mine in perspective and I marvelled at his resolve. Today is a sad day."

Former Australia captain Allan Border said: "He was a great competitor, had great technique, won a lot of games for New Zealand and is bracketed up there with the greats of the game."

Michael Clarke, another ex-Australia skipper, said: "You will always be a legend in my eyes. Thank you for all your help and advice. Now you can rest easy my friend. Miss you already."

Former India leg-spinner Anil Kumble said: "A modern great and cricket icon Martin Crowe is no more. Brilliant cricket brain and a warm persona."

Cricket Wellington, one of the three first-class teams Crowe played for in New Zealand, described him as "a genius, true legend of the game", while the scoreboard at Wellington's Basin Reserve simply read "RIP Martin Crowe 299" - his highest score, achieved at the ground in 1991.

Crowe's cousin, Hollywood star Russell Crowe, who was in frequent contact during his cancer fight, said he had lost a true friend.

"My champion, my hero, my friend. I will love you forever. RIP M.D.Crowe," the New Zealand-born actor tweeted.

A funeral service will be held at Auckland's Holy Trinity Cathedral on March 10.

R. I. P Martin Crowe

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

johnhenry (03-03-2016), trotwood (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Yes, great Kiwi cricketer Martin - big loss to the game, even though admittedly he was no longer playing, he was a legend!
    RIP Martin Crowe.