Thread: Newbie Receiver Bewilderment

Thanks

Newbie Receiver Bewilderment

Hi Guys
    First post, so be gentle with me! Looking to setup a motorised system. Seriously considering an Icecrypt S1600. Seems to have all the features wanted, and available locally from ******s. Also looked at the Zgemma Star from Goldwafers, but don't need the twin tuner.

What I hope to achieve is:
    *Replace a HTPC with the receiver. Ok, not a complete swap, but it has most of the features my HTPC is used for - internet access via ethernet for online media, plus access to existing (and new) media via usb hdd. Might even be accessible on my home network??
    *Upgrade - HTPC is 6 years old, not HD, and needs an upgrade
    *Huge increase in tv options. By installing a motorised dish, it's the freedom of the skies! Escape from overpriced Sky subscriptions, and all those repeats on Freeview. Music that hasn't been pre-determined by Simon Cowell!

I might be over-optimistic, in which case I hope other forum members can put me straight. I also hope that I'm not over-estimating my tech abilities. I had a motorised system about 20 years ago, and used Linux in preference to Windows on my PCs. Too long ago to think it'll all come flooding back in no time, so I'm anticipating a steep (vertical?) learning curve.

Any observations on my receiver preference, and what I hope to achieve with it, will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Chris

Banned
    Thanks
    try the duo 2 mate u will like it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jag123 For This Useful Post:

echelon (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    I doubt that an icecrypt 1600 would be available on your home network, so I suggest you buy a linux box, so one of the original VU boxes or the ZGEMMA clone type box from goldwafers, especially if you know about linux and ftp

you would be much better off with a box that can contain an INTERNAL sata hdd , not one that takes an external hdd

the linux boxes normally have LAN access and so can be used on a home network with access to and from a pc and also a NAS as well

what you decide to buy is your decision, but a box with an internal sata hdd connection and ethernet over lan, possibly one that has IPTV or some sort of "apps" in mind for streaming etc is always a good idea , which is why I bought a vu solo 2 last year and had a vu duo before that

5. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Norma Laverage (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, guys. The Vu boxes look like good kit, but I don't need a second tuner, and the Zero is a higher price. Network connectivity is a preference, not a 'must have'. Internal hdd receivers seem to be 2 or 3 times the price of the Icecrypt or Zgemma, so I'd say the extra facility doesn't merit the cost difference.

Having said that, the sponsors have an Android box that looks like a bargain :-) Down side would seem to be that it's new, so not much support for a newbie. On the other hand, there's tons of Android stuff around, and it lends itself to networking. So that's looking like the new favourite!
    Cheers,
    Chris

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Norma Laverage For This Useful Post:

echelon (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Gone off the Android box already. Looking more closely at the pics, I can't see analogue audio outputs. Not being able to connect it to my (old style, 2 channel) hifi system is a deal breaker. Looks like it's back to the s1600.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Thanks
    My dish installer guy has sort-of straight-armed me to go for Technomate kit. So the favourite is the TM-F3/5. It's their 'entry level' receiver, but seems to have all the features I'd like. Looked more closely at that Android box, and realised it's just a media player - no receiver functions - doh! Wonder if there'll be an Android receiver anytime?
    Cheers,
    Chris

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Chris,
    There are several Android receivers available:
    Qviart Undro
    Mars HD-SE
    Sab Nova Android
    Wetek play

and probably others but, as far as I know, none are sold by the sponsor.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to philips For This Useful Post:

echelon (14-02-2016)

Banned
    Thanks
    @Norma Laverage

im still a newbie in this subject, but i remember my father playing around with a receiver and did just that, receive.
    Today my bet would go to a more versatile system. One that satisfies my needs an also wife, kids.
    I not a connoisseur, but i would sugest something in the area of a android/linux combo (vu, amiko, wetek)

I have a Wetek play at home and i'm happy, i bought it after a friend suggested it, and don't regret it. the learning curve was a bit steep, but fortunately their webforum is great in solving our problems.
    You can have multiple OS running.
    I have my Tv, kids play around games on android, and the wife watches series through a NAS... Win Win Win
    It's a cheap "entry level" box, that with a bit of savvy can be turned into a great system.

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies philips and mooniaruk. I've gone for a TM F3/5. Seems like a reasonably capable receiver to start with. I like the idea of the android boxes, though - fully featured media centres, which can be used with an add-on satellite receiver. The F3/5 seems like a good starting point for a newbie. I'm just concerned I'll get the upgrade itch sooner than anticipated!
    Cheers,
    Chris

Banned
    Thanks
    I agree that TM seems a good device to start and learn the trade :P
    I prefer an android box as i can do various things.

have a hard time setting it up? i remembered my father goin nuts with his old receiver.
    i'm a new generation guy, so android seamed more fitted to me.