Thread: RIP don howe

Thanks

RIP don howe

sad passing of former england international & coach don howe age 80

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to huddleston For This Useful Post:

chippy (23-12-2015), dog-man (23-12-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quite agree huddleston. A fine football man. not too many left now i fear.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chippy For This Useful Post:

dog-man (23-12-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    A little more info on the late Don Howe's career in football:

Former Arsenal and West Brom manager and long-serving England coach Don Howe has died at the age of 80.

Howe played for and managed both Arsenal and West Brom, also winning 23 England caps, and went on to become one of English football's most-respected coaches.

That reputation was built in-part on the Gunners' 1971 League and FA Cup Double success, when he was right-hand man to manager Bertie Mee.

Howe left Highbury to become boss at West Brom, where he had made 379 appearances as a full-back, but later returned as coach before taking the manager's job in 1983.

He was part of the England coaching team during the managerial reigns of Ron Greenwood, Bobby Robson and Terry Venables and also helped mastermind Wimbledon's 1988 FA Cup triumph before short spells in charge of QPR and Coventry.

Howe was Arsenal manager when Paul Merson joined as a youngster, and the Sky Sports pundit said: "He was so far ahead of his time it was scary.

"He was probably the best coach in the world of football, not just England. He was a phenomenal, phenomenal coach."

Arsenal chairman Sir Chips Keswick said: "Don possessed a marvellous ability to get the very best out of players with his coaching techniques and provide them with the perfect preparation for matches. He was the very best at what he did - and he did it with us, at Arsenal, for decade after decade.

"He will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him and his name will live on in the history books as one of the most influential footballing figures in the history of the club."

FA Chairman Greg Dyke said: "It is terribly sad news and our thoughts are with Don's family at this time.

"He is widely regarded as being in the vanguard of coaching in England, and I know that his loss will be keenly felt amongst the coaching fraternity in particular and not least by Roy Hodgson, who was close to Don."

R. I. P Don Howe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

holmroad (24-12-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Don Howe was a star, both as a player AND a manager/coach -just as Aldo reports above - RIP a really good football man!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to holmroad For This Useful Post:

Aldo (24-12-2015)

Thanks
    You look at Don Howe in the same light as someone like Peter Taylor - the man in the background with the strategic brains who let his partner take the limelight.

He was Jimmy Armfields (another great bloke) number 2 at Leeds for a while in the mid seventies as well.

Thanks
    sad news indeed he seemed a really nice man
    i'm only hearing this now nothing in the news about it