Thread: Warning clone VU+ remotes

Thanks

Warning clone VU+ remotes

Recently ordered an extra remote for my Vu+ Duo2 from the bay for €13.30 instead of €49 form UK. Now for €13.30 I knew they had to be clones but if they worked then no problem. It arrived about 3 weeks later and worked fine, Has all the functions as the original, even the TV codes work fine for controlling the TV volume and TV power. Everything seemed fine so I ordered another one for the bedroom. BUT about 2 weeks later I noticed that the batteries were going low in the first remote so I replaced them. Then 2-3 weeks later they went low again. I was using good Duracell batteries so I knew It wasnt dodgy batteries. Also the second remote arrived and it also seemed to be working just fine with all the working functions.

Im a TV engineer so now its time to investigate:
    I used my meter to measure the quiescent current of the original VU+ remote and the clone VU+ remotes. (quiescent current is the current used when the remote is just sitting there with no buttons being pressed)
    Results:

Original VU+ remote : 1uA (the lowest resolution my meter reads down to)
    Clone VU+ remotes : 5mA !!!!!!! (5000 times more power consumption. ( 1mA=1000uA) )

Its no wonder that the batteries dont last any length in these clone remotes! They are consuming way too much power when not in use.

Just a warning to anyone interested in buying cheap remotes from the bay.

I have done a small mod to reduce the quiescent current down to 0uA. It involved fitting a small tact switch to the bottom of the remote that cuts the power to the remote when not in use. When I pick up the remote I just hold the small switch on which restores power to the remote. Basically gives the remote a momentary action on/off switch. The other option was to fork out almost €100 for 2 new genuine remotes. So Im happy to use the switch option!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (1.16 MB, 41 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (1.04 MB, 45 views)
    Last edited by bulmers; 16-12-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    Mine is now faulty on all the chrome center buttons ,but when i do replace it think ill just buy it from here.:respect-062:

https://www.goldwafers.co.uk/Remote-Control-Units/

V.I.P
    Thanks
    cant use crap remotes

i bought the new style remote direct from vu
    ni-on 2 years ago
    he had them up for 25 quid
    with make an offer
    offered 20

Thanks
    The new style remotes are garbage compared to the basic originals. The centre chrome round buttons have failed on 3 remotes I've bought (all legit) I just got one off Aliexpress for 12 quid delivered and it seems fine, but only time will tell i guess. If this one fails im going to use the MK1 basic remote. Never had any issues with those.

Thanks
    I'll add my experience also to this if I may. Broke my DUO2 original remote so went for the cheap option from the place already mentioned. Within a few months the OK, up & down buttons began becoming intermittent. Opening it up to clean contacts did nothing. Ended up getting one from forum sponsor which is still going strong 1+ years on.

Cheap doesn't always mean bargain.

Thanks
    Can these older style remotes be set up to control the TVs volume , TV AV, and TV power like the newer ones with the chrome buttons?

https://www.goldwafers.co.uk/Vu-Genu...u-Solo-SE.html

Thanks
    Yes I think the copy remotes dont but the OE ones do, but again im not 100%.

Thanks
    Re the replacement vu duo 2 remotes

Are the replacements any better than the original supplied with the box?

Mine is on its way out with the chrome centre button not responding properly

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth4x4 View Post
    Mine is now faulty on all the chrome center buttons ,but when i do replace it think ill just buy it from here.:respect-062:

https://www.goldwafers.co.uk/Remote-Control-Units/
    The remotes are easy to fix, remove the batteries and the small screw and split the remote apart (small clips prized apart with sharp knife), on the circuit board - heat up the plastic cover with a hair drier and remove once the sticky glue stuff is warm. Then you can get a pencil and draw on the silver pads (coat it with a thin layer of graphite), when you put it together again it will work fine again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    The remotes are easy to fix, remove the batteries and the small screw and split the remote apart (small clips prized apart with sharp knife), on the circuit board - heat up the plastic cover with a hair drier and remove once the sticky glue stuff is warm. Then you can get a pencil and draw on the silver pads (coat it with a thin layer of graphite), when you put it together again it will work fine again.
    Thanks I did strip it down to find something had been spilt on it , and of course nobody knew anything about it ,

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth4x4 View Post
    Thanks I did strip it down to find something had been spilt on it , and of course nobody knew anything about it ,
    Typical - 'it wasn't me dad excuse', if I had a pound for every time I have heard that old chestnut - I'd be rich!